Help with a rear deck install

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1561
Whats up dudes?

I want to do this
Upload

but i want to build an actual ported box for the subs rather than IB.
I want to completely seal the subs off from the trunk.
My main concern is what do i do about the bracing that is in the rear deck? I assume i cant just cut it out without putting in bracing somewhere else.

Have any of you guys done this? If you have, install pics would be great.
I could use any suggestions on how to start.
Car is a 4dr 1999 alero
subs are 2 12" idmax

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1562
Come on ecoustics, dont let me down.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8437
Chop it up.

Its just sheet metal

Silver Member
Username: Chevyfan502

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 198
that car is a uni-body, meaning that rear deck is part of the structure of the car as a whole. if you hacked it up, you could initiate rear window leaking among other things due to the sides of the car being able to shift back and forth easier. Definitely re-brace well.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5421
Kevin, I would sandwich the deck with 3/4 ply. The top can be wrapped with cloth, The bottom can be used as the box. Then caulk the metal inbetween them. That will solid it up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1563
There is some cross bracing for the arms of the trunk lid. It is right under the rear deck, and needs to move for the trunk to open. Any ideas on what i could do about that?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5422
well, Just 3/4 ply the top, then shoot screws from underneath to secure it...idk how you will be able to seal it then if they are in the way of the box...Pics?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1564
Yeah, I can get pics up soon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1565
Upload
Upload

Im kinda thinking I could try to take out all of the hinges for the trunk and install some trunk struts because they would be out of the way.
Anyone know where i can get a kit for a 99 olds alero?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5427
idk if they make an oem strut for that model year. You may need to fab on in your self. Should be able to find gas struts pretty easy. JC Whitney for sure. But that would free up alot of space back there.

Another route would be to box them in as tite as possibe with mdf, while still allowing movement for use, then foam around them as best as possible.
wait, that wont work as they are still in the way of the subs.

Get a new car with out those springs..Problem solved.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/?D=trunk+lid&PN=4294919068&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matcha llpartial&Ntk=Main&N=0&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=trunk+lid&Nr=AND(universal:0) &props=Part:Lift+Support

If you want to be balling, install the hinges on the back side, (oppiste side where they are now) and use an remote controlled electric motor driven worm gear assembly to open and close the trunk. That would be badass..

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5428
Three match your car..

http://www.partstrain.com/store/?N=0&sv=0&PN=4294919068&VN=4294967190+4294966242 +4294963990+4294967247+4294966352&Ntt=trunk+lid&Nr=AND(universal:0)&ref=partfind er

Gold Member

Post Number: 1566
Olds alero, not bravada lol. Thanks for the help Marc. I think im gunna have to figure out how to make and install some custom struts. My cousin is a master mechanic, Im sure he could figure something out for me.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5429
lol, yea just noticed that..As stated, they dont make one for your car, So buy the pricy ones, they will hold more weight and have longer throw. Shouldnt be that hard to modify, Hardest part will be finding the correct mounting locations that will provide the right throw for the strut you choose. GL,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us