300-400 watt rms amps

Bronze Member
Username: Kounnavong

Post Number: 33
Okay so I'm looking to upgrade my amp so it can match my current subwoofer setup. I'm currently running an Alumapro BP-12 with a Rockford Fosgate 201s amp with 4 gauge cables and Monster RCA cables. My question is what is a great amp that runs 300-400 watt rms. I want an amp that will make my sub sound super clean. I'm not worried about SPL cause my sub hits hard even though I'm running only about 100 watts rms at the moment due to my current amp not being fully functional. It seems that I can't bridge my amp cause it's kinda broken.
Also I wanted an amp that doesn't take too much space. What do you guys recommend? If there is insufficient information posted let me know. Thanks in advanced guys.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14263
http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

$249 shipped.
510 watts RMS x 1 channel @ 4 ohms

you didn't state the coil configuration of your sub, so I'm assuming since you'd planned to bridge an amplifier for it, that it's 4 ohms, single coil.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Oooooh.. You're good. Real good. Really really good. I'm going to take your advice and buy this amp. Thanks very much GlassWolf.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14268
that amp also offers a load of room to expand later since it's 1 ohm stable and at 1 ohm, delivers 1200WRMS

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16190
good choice

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Okay I just ordered the amp. I'm real excited about it and I was just wondering how long it might take to ship out to me. I can't wait for this amp to come. Thanks for the advice guys, I think this amp will be lasting me a very long time since I'm satisfied with my subwoofer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14269
all milspec components inside those amps if I recall. They are basically the current version of what I bought 20 years ago when I got my Orion SX amplifiers.

Shipping should be in the next few days. I believe they keep a good inventory on hand.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Glasswolf,
I would like to know your personal opinion on these two amps. The Power Acoustik Bamf 2000D vs the AQ1200D. The bamf is on sale for $150+ vs aq1200d for $249 shipped, which one wOuld be best for a single 12 and 2 12s?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16203
power craptastic is junk ....aq is much better

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thanks. Some guy at a local audio shop told me I fckd myself over by buying the aq instead of the bamf. He told me he has 20+ years experience. I already knew he was totally wrong. So much for his 20+ years...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16205
yeah that crap tastic wont put out rated power at all....they are so overrated power wise

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16206
i just looked up the specs on the crap tastic....it will do 800 watts rms compared to your audioque 1200.1 putting out 1200 watts rms....so now you have hard facts

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14271
20 years selling crap to people.
\the AQ is a better amplifier.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16281
lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Sooo.... Yesterday I got my Aq1200 and I set it up and everything but I'm not sure how to adjust the amp correctly! I'm a total newbie!! I sounds clean no matter what type of settings I put it on. Like I turn the gain up a lot and it just keeps getting louder and louder without distortion. I usually adjust these settings by ear but this amp is just too advanced for me. I don't have any tools or such to measure these things. This amp makes my single 12 sound super loud though.. To the point where i can feel my eardrums hurt a little and the food in my stomach shaking. It feels gewd.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5413
with out tools, Turn the gain on the amp all the way down, Turn the HU volume up to the max that you would normaly listen to it at, Like 3/4 up.. If it sounds good, your done.
Or start turning up the gain till it starts to sound like its clipping, Back the gain down a bit. Done.
Or match it to the HU line out voltage. If your hu puts out 2 volts, set the gain around there.
As far as the other setting, if its in a sealed box, SSF on, HP at 80 or so.
ported box ssf off again set hpf to around 80

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Also how would one wire the subwoofer to the amp? I have a svc and I just used the - and + directly to the subwoofer in bridged mode at 4 ohms, I think? Is this correct? Cause on crutchfield it says to do so for a 2 channel amp but he aq birthsheet says its a mono but the pictures are confusing. I suck at this... Can someone link me a picture of how I should wire my sub to amp? I'm bumping a 12" Alumapro BP-12 and I honestly don't know how much it can handle at most.
I keep highering the gain but it won't distort or even sound nasty with the music on. It just keeps getting louder and doesn't overpower the words of the song.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5414
That amp has 2 sets of speaker terminals for ease of wiring mutiple subs, but there is only one set. Both become one inside the amp.
Is this your sub?

Alumapro
BP-Series Enclosures

Optimized to put a ton of tight bass in a tight space. They come wrapped in premium black carpet, complete with a real glass window so you can view the subwoofer in action. They also feature the performance of the Alusonic line of subs with large magnets, rigid steel frames, flat poly spiders, and our world famous color-anodized aluminum cones. The BP-Series provide power capacities up to 250 watts RMS (400 watts peak) and can be ordered with optional cone colors. The BP-10 and the BP-12 subwoofers are also available in 4 or 8 ohm versions.

If so, I would keep the gain very low...That sub is rated at 250watts, and the amp is 500watts, So keep it set to the HU voltage or as low as possible.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1016
The clipping light on the aq1200s remote knob comes in handy too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16328
haha so long craptastic

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Sweet it gets pretty damn loud without clipping. Set my gain less than half way, turned the LP knob exactly half way, screwed in the bass control knob on top of the dash professionally with a drill and my eyes closed. No wires can be seen. Set my HU equalizer and settings to nice serene settings and made it sound perfect to my personal preferences. Not too loud, not too quiet. No clipping at all either! Dam this amp is clean. Thanks for all your help guys. I just Need to save up for some good components now. You guyz da bess. Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16347
no prob yw
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us