Nakamichi amps?

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 69
Hey, just wanted to know if anyone has any input on the quality of a Nakamichi PA-1500 (http://www.woofersetc.com/p8138/PA1500--Nakamichi-1-Ch-1200-Watt-Power-Amplifier .htm)

I'm looking to upgrade my single sealed IDQ10v3 to a pair of ported IDQ10v3's within 2 months and I just figured I would shop around for the right amp right now. The first sub I bought was D2 so I'm gonna need ~1000 RMS @ 2-ohms for my new setup.

So far from what I have read, the Nakamichi's are rated at 12.5 V and .1% THD rather than the CEA standard 14.4 V and 1% THD.
This amp is rated as follows:
Power output @ 4 Ohm: 1 x 500 Watts
Power output @ 2 Ohm: 1 x 800 Watts
Power output @ 1 Ohm: 1 x 1200 Watts

Just wanted to know if anyone has any input on the brand or even the amp itself. Are the ratings accurate? Under-rated? Over-rated? Is it quality?

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16191
ive been told nak isnt very reliable anymore

Platinum Member

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16192
go with an audioque 1200.1 they are 249 shipped

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yea I was thinking about going with the AQ2200D, I've read it does somewhere in the vicinity of 1100-1300 @ 2-ohms which is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

I didn't really want to go with the 1200 because it's only rated for 870 @ 2-ohms. I was hoping to be running 1000 wRMS + some headroom.

I was just hoping not to spend too much, I'm on a college student budget you see .

Another option I'm considering is... dare I say... a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D (thats the new CEA compliant ones). I haven't seen any bench tests of the amp but something in me tells me they are legit, plus if I get one I can do some ghetto bench testing with my pocket o-scope and dmm, and share the results with the rest of the world. If it really puts out 1200 @ 2-ohms for $260. Ill be pretty happy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16212
im getting the brz 2400

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Are you just taking a shot in the dark with this amp? Or have you seen it in action or tested it?

The only things keeping me from hopping on the Hifonics boat are; 1) I have heard nothing about the new BRZ line and how accurate their ratings are. 2) Iv'e heard that the older Brutus amps are a bit messy with the signal, not very SQ-friendly, Idk how true that is though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16218
well i know what my brothers brutus 2610 did around 3 k at .5 ohms and the brz has upgraded power supplies and better heat sinks and is cae certified so they do rated power and they will do .5 ohms if last years model will without getting hot or shutting down....ill say this if the signal is messy then my bro wouldnt have tested at about 3k and this is last years model

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16280
I changed my mind on the hifonics

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
lol... any particular reason?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16332
my bro's 2610 refurb took a crap...i decided its best to move on and invest on solid ground

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16366
what did you get

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
I decided to bite the bullet and shell out the extra cash for a guaranteed quality amp. I just bought the AQ2200D for $389 off AQ's website.

I did a lot of reading on various forums about the BRZ1700.1D and I just couldn't pull the trigger because NO ONE seems to know how to properly bench their amps and every thread turns into a flame war.

I think I made the right decision though...

EDIT: another amp I was looking at was the MTX X1000D on sonicelectronix... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14783_MTX-Audio-XThunder-X1000D.html . It claims 1000 watts RMS @ 2-ohms but I couldn't find any good reviews of the amp and the low price kinda scared me away...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16367
I think you did too
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us