1k rms at 4 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1346
The amp is going to be the last thing I get for my new set up, but I'd like to get some ideas of what I should keep a look out for. I'm looking for a solid, clean 1k rms at 4 ohm. If I could find a good deal on a used 1000/1 I may go that route, or even the alpine pdx 1000.1 amp. However, I would really rather run a non-regulated amp. If its the only solution I come across I'll run one, but if there were other options I would go that route instead. I'm figuring its going to take a rather large amp to run that kind of power at 4 ohm. The SAZ 3500D only does 800 rms at 4 ohm I've read. There is one going local here on craigslist in good shape for $450, but won't do the power I'm looking for. What amps would you suggest?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11622
american bass 400.1 would be an good option.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 991
Why are you stuck on 1000wrms @4ohms?

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1347
1k is the max potential of the sub and 4 ohm will give the most dampening over the sub.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1348
I know that having head room also helps to give control over the sub and helps with SQ and such. I was curious is I was to run an amp that was 1 ohm stable, but rated at 1500 rms or more, then just set the gain to create a clean 1000. That would factor out any efficiency loss or voltage drop.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1353
How about an Orion 2500D? Found someone selling one for $300.

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 70
Not sure if this would suit your goal, but what about strapping 2 amps?

The AQ1200D does 870 @ 2-ohms, So 2 of them linked would do 1740 RMS @ 4-ohms. 1kW RMS @ 4 would be very clean with that setup right? And its a brand new setup for ~$500, not too shabby in my eyes.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11625
Why are you against a regulated amp? Thats what I would have recommended here.

Or just run it at 1 ohm, you will never hear a difference in dampning factor.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1357
I think I may just go with a SAZ 1500D. It'll be cheaper, easier to find and give me some head room. Plus I've always wanted to run a Sundown amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Browsing ebay for an amp for my new install and I found this Kicker ZR1000, its a 2-channel amp that will do 1000 watts RMS+ @ 4ohms bridged.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-ZR1000-Car-Amplifier-1300-RMS-ZRX-module-One-/1505313 56224?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item230c5e3640#ht_500wt_1098

Just thought I'd post it since the price is real low right now.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1358
In all honesty, which would you say is the better amp? A SAZ 1500D or a DD m1b. The m1b is rated at 1200rms x 1 at 1 ohm on 11.9 volts. Giving it much more than 11.9 it will give me just about as much head room as the SAZ 1500D would I'm guessing.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 997
Dont forget about the ed nine.1 1200rms @1ohm at 12volts. I know alot of people complain about there customer service,but it really is a great little amp. Ive been using mine off an on for the last couple months with out any issues. I may be willing to sell it if your interested.

Why not go with one of the sundowns from db-r?
For $180 its a hell of a deal.

http://www.db-r.com/sell/store2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_67_69_105

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1362
How much would you want for the nine.1 shipped and what condition is it in? I'll have money this coming Friday to do something.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 998
Im sorry,its 1200wrms @1ohm at 12.5volts.

I got it from Eric Riffe on here. Its in the same condition as i received it. mechanically 10/10
cosmetically 9/10. Theres a couple scratches just from mounting it. Other than that its brand new. He only had it hooked up a few times an ive only ran it in a limited capacity myself as i also have a aq1200d. I'LL get some pics for you when i get a chance.
Lets say $250 shipped?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1000
Im really not sure if thats a fair price or not. So if you want,make me an offer.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1364
I can do $225 shipped. Not trying to low ball you or anything but that's kind of my budget. I've still got an alt and battery to get as well. If you feel $225 is fair I can buy it Friday evening.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11629
$250 is definitely NOT a deal for a used nine.1.... when you can get a new AQ 1200d for that

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14264
go with a 1 ohm load on the amp, and you can go with as much as 1500 watts RMS without likely doing any damage to the sub as long as you have the charging system to support the amp for clean power.
you won't be able to hear the difference in damping. You'll be in a car. Even in a sealed listening room you wouldn't really be able to detect the difference. Don't get lost in specs. The truth is that your speaker will create enough distortion itself to mask any difference in damping that would even be detectable on a scope.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1367
How does that 64% efficiency at 1 ohm play into how much true power I would be seeing?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Isn't the efficiency of the amp only affect the power draw from the charging system? For example... 1kW output at 64% efficiency would require 1562.5 watts power draw from the charging system. I could be wrong.

1000/.64 = 1562.5

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1368
That makes sense. I was also thinking of 1000 X .64 which would be 640 rms. However, I believe running the amp at less than its full potential (1k instead of 1.2k) and giving the amp 14.4 volts instead of the rated 12.5 should help with efficiency. How much of an improvement it will make though, I'm not sure.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1370
Let me know about that amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14267
as noted, the efficiency ust shows how much current the amp will draw from the charging system to produce the rated power

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16189
I think I may just go with a SAZ 1500D. It'll be cheaper, easier to find and give me some head room. Plus I've always wanted to run a Sundown amp.

that amp would do 1600 at 14.4 plenty clean at 1000 rms

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11633
That is one of the best amps out there right now, within reasonable price range... good choice

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1372
How much would you say a SAZ 1500D in good shape, without the bass knob, should go for? There is a guy here in Roanoke I found on craigslist selling one. I havn't seen it yet but he said its in great shape and he's only had it for a year. The amp was ran at 0.5 ohm, which kind of bothers me, but he said the amp was never clipped. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about when we talked earlier. He has an asking price, just trying to see if I have room to talk him down or if its fair as is. As long as the amp is alright.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16204
you can get a Hifonics BRZ2400.1D brand new cea rated meaning it does rated power for 342 shipped with a 1 year warranty....im going to buy one later this month with plans to buy a second later.....my brother bought last years model the brutus 2610 and ran it at half an ohm for a while and it didnt get hot and when he tested it he got about 3k out of it .....the brz 2400 has an upgraded power supply and heat sinks so we could expect better from the brz 2400 at .5 ohms should we ever want to wire it that low

* 1 Ohms: 2400 Watts x 1 Channel
* 2 Ohms: 1700 Watts x 1 Channel
* 4 Ohms: 850 Watts x 1 Channel

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16207
The SAZ 3500D only does 800 rms at 4 ohm I've read. There is one going local here on craigslist in good shape for $450, but won't do the power I'm looking for.

if you can still get this amp get it they are rated at 12.6 volts so at 14.4 volts your looking at about 915 watts at 4 ohms

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1002
Shawn, Im not in town right now. I wont be back till early xmas eve day. If your still interested after the holidays though,i have no problem with 225 shipped. Just let me know.

I still think the best deal would be the sae 1200v2 from db-r though...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16213
the 1200v2 only has 12 db per octave crossovers which i find totally unacceptable

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1378
I talked the guy with the SAZ 1500D down to $225. I havn't seen the amp yet, been working everyday and today it snowed and I can't get out. The plan is to see it tomorrow after work and if its in good shape, buy it from him. He talked like he knows a lot about car audio, he held a good conversation with me, so I'm assuming the amp was well taken care of. If I pick it up I'll post pics

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16233
that sounds like a good price

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1383
Would it be ok to run the 1500D with 4 gauge wire for the time being? I plan to run it at 400 rms at 2 ohm to the existing subs in my car. All I currently have are 4 gauge distribution blocks and no way of running 1/0 to it. Once I get my second battery I can run 1/0 over to it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16272
yes that would be fine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us