Amp Advice Please!

Bronze Member
Username: Jarred

Post Number: 11
Hey guys, I have 2 Kicker L5 Dual 4 Ohm 10 inch subs in a sealed box and together they are 900RMS (450 each). I want to get an MB Quart 1000.1 Mono and run them at 1 Ohm at 1000w Rms. I know it's 50w more to each sub than RMS but their peak is 900 each. Running them at 500 isn't so bad right? But then I heard that it is suggested to get an amp that has a little less power and just turn up the settings...I'm so confused since I know very little of car audio. What amp do you guys recomend? (Preferably one with a Bass control remote next to me up front.)

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 987
50w is nothing really... As long as you set your gain correctly you wont have any problems.

Budget for the amp? I always recommend the aq1200d. Great value for the price.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

Also, if you dont know much about car audio and are just getting into it. I would suggest checking this site out. Alot of very useful information that can help you out.

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/index.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
If 50w isn't that bad then I think I'll stick with the MB Quart 1000.1 because it's cheaper and I hear it is still a good brand. I'm sure the brand you suggested is good as well or else you wouldn't be suggesting it but the MB Quart is cheaper so I think I'll go with that. Thanks a lot and I'll deffinately check that website out! Oh and how do I know what the right setting for gain is?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Oh ok then well if 50w isn't that bad then I think I'll stick with the MB Quart since it's cheaper and it is a good brand (so I've heard). I'm sure the amp you suggested is great too or else you woudln't be suggesting it but if the MB Quart would work fine and it's cheaper, I'll just go with that. Also, how do I know what the right gain is? Thanks for your help BTW!

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 988
Yea,It was just a suggestion. That amp will be fine.

The gain on your amp should match the line voltage of your head unit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks for the suggestion! But now there is another problem, I am using my stock head unit. I don't know any specs about it

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16161
you need a line out converter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Would that be an audiocontrol lc6?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 989
Yep...That or a JL audio cleansweep will work just fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Ok then cool. Thanks a lot for all your help

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 990
No problem man... good luck

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14265
you can typically run an amp as much as 50% above the speaker's rated continuous power handling ratings without any damage. Raw power doesn't usually damage a speaker. What does is a lack of *clean* power. This is caused mainly by either lack of a sufficient charging system to support the amp's current draw, or by turning the gain on the amp up too far (whomever told you to get an underpowered amp and crank the amp settings is an f-ing idiot.)

If the subs are dual 4 ohm coils, and rated for 500 watts RMS each, you can use a 1 ohm stable class D sub amp, rated for up to 1500 watts RMS and be just fine if the car's alternator can handle the draw of the amp.

Truth is a number of factors affect the power handling of the speakers, anyway, like the enclosure design for instance.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16279
No problem man... good luck

x2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us