How do I connect a sub to a head unit with only front and rear preamps?

Username: Kiwi_39

Palmerston NorthNew Zealand

Post Number: 1
Hi there.

I brought myself a 2010 Panasonic CQ-VW220W double din head unit and originally wasn't going to bother with a sub, but then i changed my mind. I then discovered that my Panasonic head unit only has front and rear pre outs no sub pre out, which means of course no volume control for the amplifier.

To get around this, I purchased a Kicker ZX400.1 monoblock amp which has a remote bass level control, and also has variable electronic crossover.

My question is, do I connect the front or the rear preamp to the amplifier and any special cabling required?

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere.

Regards,

Michael.

Username: Streetlegal

Post Number: 9
rear to amp, ....amp installation kit needed for amp install or use 10 or 12 gauge wire to hook it up (fused)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14242
as noted above, rear to the sub, unless you're using a 4 channel amp for front/rear spakers, then look for a device like the Coustic XM-3 or XM-3e, which is an electronic crossover. It will take F/R inputs, and give you full control of F/R/S pre-outs.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16091
good idea if needed

Username: Jrock

IL Usa

Post Number: 1
well when i frist started geting subs i had the same problem you have i went a got a BX45 - Boss 2/3 Way Electronic Crossover it like 60 bucks works great ez to hide i had only1 amp so what i did was got 2 RCA cables 1 form the head in the rear output to the sub input on the BX45 and the 1 RCA from the out to the amp make sure you keep the red with red and black with black my friend missis them up and it wont sound as good ok you BX45 needs power and a remote and ground run the remote to the head with amps remote you can use the same blue wirer and the power you can do the same and run it right in to the amp also a ground you can ground to the same ground as your amp and thats that you should be good to go when tuneing i had lil to no bass on my head it was a -4 i useed all the bass from the amp and the BX45 set mids at -2 trable 0 thats how i had mean set and everyone loved it or just find you comfyrt zone let me know if it helps so you no its all about how you set it up

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 658
"use 10 or 12 gauge wire to hook it up "
What? Wow, that's small, I say use at least 4 gauge and at the bare minimum 8 gauge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us