Help needed if possible

Username: Abyssomega

Post Number: 1
Ok so i have a mtx msx1204 sub single voice coil @4o 400watt rms 800peak and im powering it with a alpine mrp-m1000 that should be giving it around 600watts rms @4o yet the sub is not that loud yet the gains on the amp are turn halfway up to where it say nominal and i have a capacitor to help with power drains so the amp is getting full power all the time and i know the sub can hit much harder as i had some old jvc warren G series amp powering it b4 and i cranked pretty good yet with this new amp the sub sounds super quiet compared to what it could be and on paper the
numbers add up so it should sound fine with same preformance if not better as the jvc amp did not have nearly as much power and could it be that the sub is not performing all that great due too to much power or gains to low or faulty amp i would think gain settings in the middle amp (nominal) should be more then ample for the power needed as i also bought a mrp-f300 to run my 6x9s and 6-1/2 inchs and gains are all the way down yet they are still loud and sound great any info or comments apreciatted if its just the sub getting to much power i will get a more powerful sub for it was thinking a rockford t2 since this amp should be able to handle that sub if i use only one @2o

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14039
OK, the amp is about the right size for that sub.
the capacitor isn't helping you at all.
the gain needs to be set properly using a DMM (follow link below
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/dmmgain.html

also try or consider the following:
make sure you have that sub in a ported box of the proper volume, and tuned properly to about 30-34Hz range
make sure the bass boost circuit on the amp, if present, is off or set flat
make sure your bass setting on the head unit is set to "0" or flat.
(you want to get this set up and figured out without introducing other variables from the head unit and such first)
make sure teh polarity of the sub is wired correctly (pos/neg)
try re-positioning the sub
make sure none of the wiring for the amp is loose. (power, ground, remote, speakers)
make sure the amp is grounded to bare, sanded metal. securely.

Username: Abyssomega

Post Number: 2
thank you for the info and how to set gains properly i like how using dmm can tell you the proper voltage other then turning the gain up and saying hmm thats sounds about right gonna give it a shot

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15697
glad to see we could be of some help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us