Power flickering on and off for amp. Now blown

Username: Blown_amp

Post Number: 1
So I did something extremely stupid and lazy but before I here how stupid I am just know I am kicking myself now. My amp started to cut in and out. It wouldnt cut out often but it did once in a while (I could indicate it by the light on my dial. I ended up turning off the output from my stereo until I tore it apart, but didnt unplug, or anything, and amp still turned on with stereo. Now my light kept intermitantly coming on and off for a few weeks with the amount the light was on getting shorter and shorter until it didnt turn on at all(I know, its bad). I finally checked and my power wire was corroded and not giving the power needed. So I changed the wire, but now the Amp doesnt turn on at all. My question is would I have fried my amp by having the power intermitantly on and off to it or would it be a fixable thing? Fuses are fine and the circuitboard shows no signs of physical damage and all the activator, power wire, ground etc are all working fine with my multimeter. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13961
get a DMM or VOM and trace the power from battery to amplifier, and find out exactly where the voltage stops.

Post Number: 2
I did that, and then I fixed the initial problem of the wire. That is why my power was cutting in and out again, but now that I've fixed the problem, my amp is not working now.

Username: Craigstruzz

Post Number: 3
Slk230 serial AL1910Y0229578
Radio card code says 51242 will not accept code, says wait. Code has worked previously.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13965
yes it's possible to damage the amp that way due to lack of sufficient current to feed the amp when the wire was corroded. Perry Babin, owner of bcae1.com, is over on DIYaudio. If you check that forum, in the car audio section, he can help you trouble shoot the internals of the amp, if you have a meter, and possibly a scope. He's very patient and helpful when it comes to that specific task. Heck, if you want, tell him I sent you over to him.

Post Number: 3
Thanks alot, ill head over there and post.

Post Number: 4
I cant find a DIY section. Is this on this forum you mean?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13970
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us