I need some help...

Username: Caset9082

Post Number: 3
Hey what's up? I recently bought 2 Kicker 10" 10C104 subs and a Kicker zx700.5 amp to power my entire system. I have had pioneer 6.5" and 6X9" components, to replace the stock speakers, for about 2 years now.i'm wondering if the amp can power the entire system adequately and if i even SHOULD power the component speakers. The 6.5's are rated 35w and the 6X9's are rated 40w. The Subs are rated 150w per sub. I also have a Kenwood HU but i'm not sure the specs on it. If it's relevant, let me know and i'll find out. also these ratings are all RMS, not peak so yeah..
also, i just got my amp in today and on the birth sheet it says its max power is 926w. Kicker really underrates their stuff

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13962
you should power the front and rear speakers with separate channels, as well as driving the subs with a monoblock amp.
in all, you need 5 channels.

Post Number: 5
so one channel per speaker and then a single channel for the woofers right?

Post Number: 6
GW: so all this power set with the right gain by the formula on your page won't damage the speakers?
Also, what else can i do to make sure that everything's running correctly and cohesively without damage?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13966
yes exactly. anything in the lower two octaves or so, is all mono anyway so no real need for stereo separation in the subs. stereo is really only useful for things like vocals, piano, guitar, etc..

aside from setting the gain on the amps properly, the only other major factor that damages speakers, is lack of current. make sure that your charging system is up to par by watching your voltage while the system is in use. If voltage drops below 12VDC, you'll want to consider upgrading the charging system.
Clipping damages speakers, and clipping in an amplifier is caused by either over-driving the input stage (gain setting), or lack of current to the amplifier caused by using power and ground wire that's too small, or more commonly, an insufficient alternator to supply the current to the audio system as well as the rest of the car's needs.

Post Number: 7
well my bronco has a 95 amp alternator stock, so i doubt it's gonna be enough charging power for the entire system. I definitely don't have the $400 to drop on a new high output alternator (Quoted from www.highoutputalternator.com), so could i purchase another battery for about $300 less and get the same effect in essence? If so, what are the drawbacks to having a spare battery power the system?

Post Number: 8
i can get an upgraded alternator that's rated 170amps for like $210. Once i get the money, that's definitely what i'll do but until then i think i'll just deal with the dimming if it occurs and keep my gains low enough to keep from damaging the speakers. Thanks GlassWolf, your advice was exceptionally valuable. Thanks again!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13972
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/index.html

Thank you. The "Electrical" section has some info regarding the battery vs alternator question.
short answer is no, battery and alternator serve different purposes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us