Sub popping noise from CD play and setup help...

Hey all,

Alright. Here's my setup:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P940MP
Memphis 16-ST1000D amp
2 JL Audio 12W3 D4's
Wired parallel at 1 Ohm

Here's my problem:
When I turn my amp (via the gain dial box) or head unit up to any moderate to high volumes, my subs pop like none other, so I'm not allowed to obtain really loud pounding. I was told it was my head unit (I used to have a Pioneer DEH-P3300) that was the problem, so I got the new Premier 940 MP and it still does it. I'm wired parallel at 1 Ohm, and my amp does 1100 W @ 1 Ohm.

Here's my friend's setup:
JVC Kameleon head unit
Phoenix Gold ZX400ti amp
2 Kicker Comp VR 12 D4's
Wired bridged/parallel at 1 Ohm

My other problem:
My friend's setup tears the frick outta mine! What's even worse my head unit, amp, and subs are all rated higher than his! I read all these stories online about people with setups similar to mine with the Memphis 1000D and how they absolutely pound, and I hear from a lot of people that mine should be louder than my friend's system, but mine just doesn't pound. His system makes my ears ache, but mine doesn't even come close. He has a Sunbird, and I have a Trans Am with a hatchback, so it should be really loud in my car! The Phoenix Gold amp does 400W x 1 @ 1 Ohm, but he's also got it bridged. So does that mean he's getting 400 watts per sub? I should be getting 550 watts per sub, right?

If you know something than can help me get rid of that popping noise it would be appreciated if you posted to help me out. My friend's set up doesn't pop at all no matter how loud it goes, and it annoys me that mine does. If my amp filters or head unit eq's can be adjusted to get rid of that popping noise, please let me know how. Also, if you have any ideas for a system that doesn't even have the ability to pop (like my friend's CANNOT pop, and that's what I want), post that also. I just wanna know what my problem is: my head unit, my eq and filter settings, my amp, my subs, my wiring scheme, etc??? And finally, if you know a configuration of amp filters/head unit eq's that will give really good clarity and pound for music with fast double bass, let me know! And what's a really good rap setting?

Thanks alot,
-Shane
ShaneTripleOmac@aol.com (exact case)
shanetripleomac@aol.com (in lower case)

cageworm
it might be your box? I dont know if you've checked already, but ive had similar problems with popping sounds coming from my subs. You may need to seal some holes, or tighten the screws holding your subs down.. both of those could lead to strange sounds at high volumes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us