My Project Part 2

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 387
For those who haven't seen the first part, here you go: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/640043.html
Okay now for the updates. I put some lights in the back near the rear speaker covers and I got the amp rack cover in and all wired up. More to come.
Upload
The back lights from underneath.
Upload
The back lights wiring.
Upload
The back lights from the top center.
Upload
The back lights from the top left.
Upload
The back lights from the top right.
Upload
Amp lights.
Upload
Amp lights from the front.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8212
wtf is that??? aliens?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 388
Yea, I got the first evidence of an alien landing and I decided to post it here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8213
OMG that so cool like some area 51 and sh1t nice.. hahah

good work tho. not my kind of color but everyone has diferent opinions so yeah...

by the way your car is red it should be a red ligh green+red? but hey thats your choice nice amp

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 389
Dude, that is my other car. This one is black. Check the first part of this. Thanks though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8216
yeah i saw it... dude that thing looks like a alien spaceshift you got even light neons on your greens..

if i had your car i would black it out and no lighting outside whatsoever

check this pictures of your cars and yeah i will lose the chrome edge door trims

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3069188

http://www.customsprayz.com/mediac/400_0/media/johns$20impala.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2252950

OMG check this out just like yours but murdered out version

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360800

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 390
Yea those were nice but I like mine. Wait til it's finished.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8218
looking forward to it

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1297
every one like home baked better.

also needs to be a better way to wire things without it looking like the wire ferry spooged all over the place. my house is a large offender of this effect.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 392
LOL death. Actually all of the wiring you seen will be hidden. It will be very hard to find all of the wiring I've done. It is very stealth.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1298
no no, i understand it will be hidden, just saying i wish there was a better way to get wiring done.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 395
Oh, sorry. Yea, I do too. I swear I have put 500 feet of wire into this. LOL

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1300
least you like green lol.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 397
Yes I do. LOL It's a theme, the Riddler. He's my favorite Batman villain and if he's in the next movie, like they say he will be, my car is going to be that much sweeter. At least to me. LOL

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 772
Lookin good man, love the green lights! You get your box situation figured out yet?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 400
Thanks Sean, yea, I have an order in with Bassman for a ported box. I think it's going to be 4 cubes and tuned to 33hz. I do have a new problem though. I went to O'Reilleys (auto store) today and they pulled out their toy to measure my alternator. It was idling at 40 amps and my voltage was 14.9. Now this is whithout the subs and amp. Just everyday driving. Then I got home finished somethings and got HU in, so I decided to hook up a sub. It was not pounding hard, but I am not conerned about that, I am concerned that my lights were dimming. WTF? I am going to get my voltage checked again after I get the bo and tune my amp.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1303
i should do that with my car, i want to see what my stock alt can do real world. you will probably see light dimming just because of voltage change, the real thing to look for is voltage drop. if you go from 14.9 to 14.1 or 13.8 you should be fine. the alt should make power as needed iirc.

i was thinking i should get another 15" Q and run 3k to the 2 of them. i still cant find a alt for my car, new cars suck. i may just end up paying troy to make me one.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 540
Check out what the UPS guy brought me!!!!!!!!!

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1464
oh hell yah dude. how do you like them?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15517
Nice!

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2517
Dimming is normal and rarely completely avoidable with one alt. It's not that the alternator isn't able to put out power, it's the delay in output. Alternators put out power based on demand, and when the subs are playing and your demand goes from 40 amps to 100 amps it takes a moment for it kick in. I'd check the voltage with a solid tone or bass line. If the voltage drops below 13v and doesn't go back up during a solid tone you need more alternator power.

Death when you can email me please do (tejcurrent@tejcurrent.com).

Nice subs.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11457
Just an FYI, those machines the auto parts stores use to supposedly measure alternator output are not accurate at all. All those are really good for is to determine if an alternator or battery is bad, not measuring actual output.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 541
Thanks all. I forgot to mention that I belive I know what the problem with the alternator and lights dimming was. I didn't have the wire from my Big 3 hooked up to the alternator. LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15524
lol

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1467
haha yah that will do it eric.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 831
Congrats! Very nice! Curious on how they sound,im going to need a full review on these when you get everything put together. lol Did you get your amp yet?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15538
hes still deciding but i say get the 2k

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 841
Eric i know i asked you before... Do you live near Akron?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 549
Not really. It's about 2 hours southeast of me. I'm more near Toledo.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15574
what amp did you get

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 552
Working on getting a Sundwon SAZ-2000D. Waiting for my credit card company to let me have my money. Should have it in about a week.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15581
cool

Silver Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 198
Hey eric, i was wondering if u ever sold that nine.1 theres someone on caraudio.com looking to buy multiple ones if your still trying to get rid of it you should check it out.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 554
Thanks Nolan, but I traded that for a Clarion HU. I appreciate the info though.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1510
where are your updates man? u are killing me. have you broken in your subs yet? 30-40 hz on ~100 watts free air just enough to get them moving no more no less.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 557
I will be breaking in the subs this weekend hopefully. I've been waiting for some lights from China. I finally got them and finally got them done. Other than that, all I need is my amp and my box. Should have them by the end of the month. Will be done then.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 200
I am excited to see "the riddler" in action. I wish you had green dustcaps with a ? mark on them, that would be sick

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 558
First of all, THANK YOU Nolan Paul. I am looking into the dustcap thing. Thank you for the idea. Now for the update. First of all, I cracked my windshield! I did this with my passenger seat. Don't ask me how it happened, all I know is I was pushing the seat up and I hear crack. My youngest son was right there and he knew dad was p1ssed. Anyway, I got all of the lights finished. I have lights under both front seats and under the rear seat. I also have lights on the top of the rear seat. Along with these are my undercar, my license plate frames and my wheel well lights. I also have a set of lights in the rear by the 6x9s. These are my "special" lights. See the last pics below. I will be trying to break in my subs this weekend. That's about it for now.
Upload
back seat under lights
Upload
back seat top lights
Upload
back seat top lights from behind
Upload
driver's side
Upload
passenger side
Upload
rear
Upload
front
Upload
new head unit
Upload
"special" lights, question mark
Upload
again
Upload
and once more from behind

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 559
Also, the question mark lights won't turn on with all of the other interior lights. I have it set up on a seperate toggle switch that is hard to see, so that's why I call them "special". I will do a video of the lights soon. I really need to because the undercar lights have different movements that they do.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 858
Im liken it man. A vid would definatly be cool! That new h/u looks pretty nice in there,you getting used to it yet?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 560
Yea I am Sean. I'm liking it more everyday, THANK YOU!

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 576
Okay, finally updates. I went and picked up a new battery today. I got a Sears Diehard platinum. I also got my amp in the mail today. OMG I love it already, can't wait to hear it. I also am switching my battery terminals. See pics below for what I am using now. Waiting on these and my box (no hurry Dustin) and I will be finished. I also bought some carbon fiber cloth. I am going to try to get some it put over the dust caps with a green question mark on them. (thank you Nolan) Now for the pictures:
Upload
My new baby
Upload
Here she is again, Be Jealous LOL
Upload
My new battery
Upload
And again
Upload
These are my new battery terminals
Upload
Ring terminals
Upload
Ring terminals
Upload
Carbon fiber cloth

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 214
Damn dude, those lights are going off, did you position the ? to look like ur HU was the . or was that just a coincidence

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1565
rember to set your gain at ~85-90% then play at ~75% if you are going to use the eq to turn up the bass or if your head unit has a sub out chan that lets you set the lvl of the sub indepently, don't be afraid to use the gain knob, when you set the gain on the amp the knob will not let it go past where you set it. aka if you set it for 2k then plug your knob in and turn the knob down to ~1500 for daily or just not feeling full bass that day then when you go to turn it back up you can max out the knob it wont go past where its set on amp. so you don't haft to do any thing specif after the amp gain is set.

glad you like your new toys, i am excited for you. keep us posted.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 577
Thanks, total coincidence

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 578
Yep yep. I have the other post saved that you posted about that. Thanks and I will.

Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3
looking good

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 888
Nice amp man! Finally coming all together for you. After you get everything hooked up let me know what you think of that battery. Ive heard good thinks about it,was thinking of picking one up myself. So whats left for you? Just the box?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 587
Sean P, well when you replied, yea I was only waiting on the box. Now I have a few other things to do. So, here are my updates. I have been having troubles with the whole charging system. My battery light came on and my car told me to check battery charging system. I thought it was the battery, so I replaced that, didn't change. So, I check my big 3 wires and found 2 burnt wires and a blown fuse. I don't know exactly what happened, but I took the new HO alternator off and I am taking it to AutoZone. Now I need to order some new wire and a new fuse. I also had to build a new amp rack. When I put my new amp on it the holes for the wires didn't match, so I built a new one. Well, I will update as soon as I know what is going on with my alternator. For now, here are some pics.
Upload
Burnt wires
Upload
My new battery terminals, got them today. They shorted me one piece, so I have to wait on that also.
Upload
New box, needs carpeted
Upload
New box side
Upload
New box other side
Upload
Old box and HO alternator to be taken to AutoZone

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1585
looks like you had a shot some where. you had the nice OFC wire too. might try some of the black plastic over coating that i cant remember the name of. sucks about the fail tho eric. if you have any questions you know how to find me.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 898
Man Eric,your in a streak of some bad luck buddy! lol Seems like everytime you get things together something happens. The wire,was it just from being overheated from the motor? Maybe try using that spit wire looming?

Btw, what happened to your alt?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15720
sorry for the bad luck eric

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5833
I will post some pictures up in this thread for you tomorrow Eric

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14109
That burned wire is why I always suggest fusing both the run from battery to distribution block, and battery to alternator in case of a short.
This is also why I suggest using zip or wire ties to secure the "big 3" wiring away from any possible heat sources, and if really in doubt, insulate the wire and loom it as well. If it touches the head, block, radiator or hose, etc.. the wire will melt just like the one pictured above, then short.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck.
Wire softens and sags when it gets hot, which can cause it to move, and droop allowing the wire to touch things you didn't expect when you installed it in a cold engine bay.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 588
Sean P, thanks and I am not sure what has happened to the alternator. I just have the check battery charging system alert coming on in my car and I replaced the battery and it didn't help. So I took the alternator to AutoZone and O'Reilley's today and neither of them could test it, my step-dad is going to take it to a friend tomorrow. Thanks sean. Sounds good Bassman! Glass, thanks for the concern and the advice. I do have it fused and I will be implementing the other tips, should have before, but I guess lesson learned. Thanks again all for the concerns.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2373
Looks like that wire was laying near or against the exhaust manifold, or even the alt.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1586
thought i told you to go see a movie dustin.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14115
Glad it was fused. Look at the bright side.. that fuse may have prevented burning your entire car to the ground. I've seen it happen!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5834
Here are a couple pics. Getting carpeted today and shipped out within the next couple.

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 589
Lookin really good. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5835
No problem.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1587
thats a big box for 2 12's.

Username: Streetlegal

Post Number: 2
Nice !

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 217
Damn, that box is looking shexy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5836
It's 3.8 cubes, so not too big actually.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1588
big compared to my box, stupid Camry trunk.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 908
Looking good man! What did you decide to cover it with?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5837
Final pics. Camera sucks, but you get the idea. Should sound veeeery good.

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 590
She's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you! One question though, does it matter what side of the car the port is on? LOL I just never heard anyone discuss this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5838
Box was designed having the port on the (left) side when looking straight at it. It won't really make any difference. You could try out what you want

And thanks ~ she came out fantastic.

Username: Streetlegal

Post Number: 5
it look like if you pass your fingers on those edges it might cut it...beautiful work bassman

Gold Member

Post Number: 5839
Yup, nice clean edges. Thank you.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1589
think your skills are getting better, looks better then my box.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1590
oh BTW Eric i saw a car that was joker themed yesterday.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 599
death, if you can ever get some pics, I would love to see it. Now for updates. I still have not figured out what is wrong with my charging system. I put on the old alternator and it's still not charging. I think it's either a wire or a fusible link. Tomorrow I will be looking further. Below is a pic of the fusible link I will be getting. According to the listing it is made for HO alternators. I got the amp rack carpeted and the amp mounted. Not sure if I am going to cover up the screws, depends whether or not you can see them. I will be at least soddering them. Got my new wire, battery terminal connector and fuse today. See pics below. Waiting for the box and to figure out what is up with my charging system and I should be done.

Upload
amp on rack
Upload
amp mounted on rack
Upload
side of mounted amp
Upload
other side of mounted amp
Upload
fusible link
Upload
new wire, battery terminal connector and fuse

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 600
I almost forgot, I ordered some high heat split loom tubing. Check it out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/5-8-HIGH-TEMP-Nylon-split-convoluted-WIRE-LOOM-15ft-/180512969554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07695352
I also ordered some heat shrink tubing for some of the connections on my Big 3. Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-inch-PVC-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-SOLD-FOOT-/180498741126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06903786Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1596
sucks about your charging system. if you charge your batt and let it set for ~2-3 hours whats its resting voltage? wire loom = good. don't forget your exturnel fusing for the amp.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 601
not sure about the resting voltage, I will have to check it tomorrow and let ya know. As far as the amp fuse, I got that fo sho!

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 602
I got the new wire together with the old wire. They are ready to go back in the car.
Upload
alternator to battery Big 3 with new wire
Upload
closeup of new connector
Upload
New wire (bottom) vs. old wire (top)

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1600
throw some wire loom on there and some zip ties. don't make me send you some.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 604
LOL death. I got the looms in the mail today. I also have figured out that my fusible link is definetly blown. So, I ordered the one above and now I am waiting on that too. My box should be here Thursday, so the next update will be then.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 605
Oh and my resting voltage after charging is at about 12.1 or so.

Silver Member
Username: Jcash

Post Number: 197
Looks great

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1623
ouch 12.1 is low you should be at, at least 12.5 iirc. healthy battery should be 12.7-13.1. some one correct me if wrong, sounds like dieing battery.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 606
Thanks Reece. death, the battery is brand new, a sears diehard platinum. I think I might have to charge it a bit more. I will let ya know what happens.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1624
you may have gotten a bad or old battery, your alt may have been doing nothing but trying to charge your batt may have caused your wire melt down or you car saying charging system was having problems / 2 many issues and car had an anursim. all ways take a volt meter with you for batt shopping.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 381
could be the bat. i just bought the same exact one a few weeks ago and the resting voltage straight from the shelf was just under 13 volts.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 607
steve, what did you do?
death, I think the wire was rubbing against something and caused a short and then all of the crap
I'm gonna try to charge the battery for a bit longer and see what happens. Couldn't do it today, rain and a sick child.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 221
I like the green lights

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15827
x2 its different

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 610
Thanks guys. Here are some pics of my new box. Just got it today. It is very, very, very nice. Thank you Bassman!!!!!!!!
One, situation that I have is that when I put the subs in, the would not lay flush. I took off the rubber surrounding and they seem fine. Is this going to hurt anything? Pics:
Upload
New box
Upload
Upload
Port
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
What it might look like with the question marks
Upload
Without rubber surroundings
Upload
Again, closeup
Upload
With rubber surroundings on top
Upload
Side view, can you see the difference?
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15886
I took off the rubber surrounding and they seem fine. Is this going to hurt anything? Pics:

not as long as theres an airtight seal

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 249
Looks good Eric

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15896
yeah i cant wait to hear what you think of those subs

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 611
Thanks guys. sean, I can't wait to hear them also. Gotta get my battery charging system fixed first. I did charge my battery to 100% and now it is at 13.06. Waiting for fusible link then we go from there. As far as an airtight seal, that shouldn't be a problem, they fit in there real tight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5846
That's really odd, hmm. It won't hurt anything like Sean said as long as there is an airtight seal. It looks like maybe it was just a tight fit which is why the gasket is having a hard time goin on. I make the outside flush diameter 3/16" bigger than what the diameter says on their site but their dimensions might be a bit off. Looks great, now hook that thang up!

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1632
they should seat in fine with the rubber when you bolt them in, if not take rubber off and use silicone to hemp make a seal.

glad you like the box, as bassman's pimp i like to make sure he is keeping up the good work.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15902
be careful if you use the gasket you dont want to warp the basket

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 944
Looking good brotha! You gotta figure a way to get the ? on there,would look pretty sick.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1634
also when bolting down work your screws across from each other and just go a little at a time once you hit the rubber.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 612
Bassman, no problem. Was just a little frustrating at first, now it's cool.
death, I will try that and LOL to being Bassman's pimp, that was hilarious.
sean, most definetly, I've had to many problems, I am extra extremely careful now.
Sean P, thanks man. I'm thinking about painting (very lightly) over the Sundown and then painting a green question mark on them. Opinions?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 613
Okay, I need some suggestions on how to connect 2 10 gauge wires (2 to each connector) to each of the connectors in the picture. My first option is in black and I am thinking soddering. My second otion would be to unscrew the red arrow nuts and connect the wires there with something like the last picture.
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15928
soldering creates resistance if i remember correctly

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1635
i vote go with the fish eye crimps and nuts. but you shuld be able to if its just dual 4's wire one sub to the other and only need one set of wires off the plug.

++++ box
= 1ohm
---- box

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15931
i vote go with the fish eye crimps and nuts.

x2

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1636
also don't solder unless you are good at it.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 615
Ordering these tomorrow (Friday).
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1641
for power wire?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 616
Nope, for my speaker wire from subs to inside of box. Cool?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1642
I think they may be to thick

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom Penh Cambodia

Post Number: 4867
Closed end copper ring terminals ftw

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 227
For the green ? you could look into a the PSI dustcaps Ive been looking at a full recone for sometime now and saw they have custom dustcap stuff. other than that box looks sick, subs look sick. your child was sick, i think im becoming sick from all this sickness in this thread.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 617
Okay, how about these below?
Noal, thanks for the tip. I think I'm just gonna paint them, the custom dustcaps are about $35 and I wouldn't be able to get the original off and the new ones back on without ruining the subs. Thanks though.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 168
I want these for SS

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 618
Never mind. These are for the stupid covers only. I still want the allen screw type. Any help?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 619
How about these?
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1646
why do you want something big and bulkie that might vibrate free and cause damage vs a .5 cent part thats light weight and works just as well?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 620
Because I like to make things difficult. LOL Nah, I just never really thought about that, I was wanting a more secure connection at the wire. Your right though, I'm gonna go with the "regular" ones. What's your opinion on wire boots?
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1647
just there for looks.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 625
Update:
Okay, so after black friday shopping for the first time ever, I have some new updates. I have ordered the fish eye crimps, some butt connectors and heat shrink tubing for my fusible link. Waiting on the tubing and terminals. As soon as I get them I will update more.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1660
woot

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 958
"Okay, so after black friday shopping for the first time ever"

How did this go for you? My first an last time was last year. Waited in line at best buy for like 6hrs,it was brutal. Got what i wanted tho...

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 626
Sean P, well, it was an experience. I went to Wally World, so I didn't have to wait outside. It was crazy, I didn't want any of the "big" items, so I got what I wanted. I did get some pointers if I ever go again and want a "big" item.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1665
i am lazy and shop online.

BTW eric did you try my idea to get the subs to fit with gaskets in place?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 627
Nope, waiting on the fish hooks. I'll let ya know, prob Monday.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1666
kk, i just wanted to know if i was right.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 628
Okay, small update. I put my box in my trunk. I wound up breaking the plexi. This doesn't matter much cuz it's covered by the box. So, I am going to have to do some refiguring for the amp opening. Pics tomorrow.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1667
booo pics now

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 629
Okay, just for you death, pics! I received my fish hooks today. The hole is too big, luckily I had some that will work. Waiting on some heat shrink and then I work on the charging system. See pics:

Upload
This is what will be showing of the original amp "viewing area" after the box is in place.
Upload
Broken plexiglass.
Upload
Broken plexiglass closeup.
Upload
Box in car.
Upload
Again.
Upload
Sub wire connector.
Upload
From the side.
Upload
In the box.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 473
whats the reason for doing a flush mount for the subs? i never understood that. is it just for looks?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 196
yes just looks, and it cuts down the risk of jamming the sub up against something. I think it makes the box look super slick

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1668
very nice now get some subs in there lol.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 229
Ish is really comming together. Cant wait to see the final resulllttss. Finish this puppy already!!!!!

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 630
Thanks Paul. I'm getting there. Updates. I ordered some new RCAs from Knukonceptz, pic below. I also ordered some banana plugs, pic below. I also have painted one of the subs to cover up the Sundown logo. See pics.
Upload
New RCAs
Upload
Banana plugs
Upload
Painted sub
Upload
From above

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1672
nice, same rca's as me, and banana plugs are nice 2.

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1309
why did u want to cover up the sundown logo? it looks like you just took a black marker and painted the letters lol

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1673
x2 paint whole dust cap

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 230
x2 on same rcas, and yeah i would paint the whole dustcap as well, Are you planning to paint the ? on there or are you going to get like a vylan sticker.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1310
Btw you could of just got some alcohol or nail polish remover and removed the sundown logo, I had a Jl audio sub that my niece drew on with a marker and i used some alcohol and it ended up removing part of the jl audio logo too lol.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 632
death, thanks. Good to hear that I got some good RCAs. Julian, I am covering up the Sundown logo because I want to put some question marks on them. I will be putting some Sundown stickers on my box instead. Actually, I did use marker at first then I used touch up paint. However, thanks to Julian, I have used nail polish remover and they look much better. Again, THANK YOU! See some pics below. More updates to come soon.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1676
i see you have dish tv. lol. looks much better Eric.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1311
Yep looks much better...

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 638
Okay, I swear I replied to this. Oh well, thanks death and Julian. death, I used to have Dish, I just use the remote as a universal. Sad news to report. I have just found out that my HO alternator is dead. I have been in contact with powerbastards and am waiting on them for an RMS. Also, I am having to replace the wire from my starter to the alternator. Since Christmas is coming and I have 3 beautiful children, this is going to have to wait. So, the project is on hold for now. I promise it will be finished, I will not give up. I will continue to be on E and update y'all when I can. Thanks to all that have commented and helped.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16105
Sorry for your luck with the alternator. Hopefully things work out to your liking.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1697
Eric, what gage wire do you need? i have a bunch of monster 4ga i can send you for the low low price of a flat rate shipping box. i also have some KCA Kable 1/0 Ultra Fleks i can send you, but might charge you 50 cents a foot cuz its nice wire. let me know if theres anything i can do to help you out.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1699
also you have email.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 639
Thanks death and sean. death, I will be getting back to you asap.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 640
Okay, I got the banana plugs in the mail today and decided to hook them up. Well, since I'm going pos to pos & neg to neg on each sub I had to figure a way to do this. So, I decided to use the banana plugs on one side and then connect the other side with some ring terminals to the screws that hold the banana plug-ins on the sub. Let me know what y'all think. Hope the pics help.

Upload
sub wires
Upload
closeup
Upload
pos to pos & neg to neg wires
Upload
closeup
Upload
sub wired
Upload
hook up to banana plug screws
Upload
again
Upload

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 641
Oh and anybody looking to use some banana plugs, these are the ish. They have to screws to hold in the wires and then those are covered. Really like these, great buy.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1702
First time I have seen it done that way, very neat. Let us know how that works.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16135
looks good nice job

Username: Cw_gouner

USA

Post Number: 3
close to putting it in yet?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1709
hoping for subs in box today.

oh Eric i sent wire out to day, i will send u email with recets and what not.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 983
Love that pic of the sub. Looks beefy!
You get them mounted yet?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 643
Yea, I got the email death, thanks!. Thanks Sean P. Here you guys go:

Upload
Upload

Just kidding. I really did try to get them mounted tonight. When I went to hook up the ring terminals inside the box I ran into some trouble. I am going to try and fix the problem tomorrow. I do have the pilot holes drilled for the screws.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1715
whats the problem?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 645
Okay, I got the wire from death for my replacement wire from my starter to my alternator. Got the fusible link hokked up to one end, gonna try to get it all in tomorrow, pending the darn snow. Let me know what y'all think. Pics:
Upload
fusible link hookup to new wire. the big butt screw is a replacement for the hex screw
Upload
fusible link with heat shrink tubing
Upload
new wire from death with fusible link

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1732
nice, how do you like the wire / way i packed it?

also woot for updates.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 648
Very nice, some of the best I've seen. Thanks death, really do appreciate it all!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16165
what happened to the one woofer it looks scratched

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 233
you packed his monster wire real goood.

sry couldnt resist

The build looks sweet man. very detail-oriented. Built it nice or build it twice!

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 650
sean, nah it's okay, must be the picture or your eyes, just kidding LOL
Makin, thanks
Just got my Secret Santa Christmas present from the UPS guy. Holy crap, my guy went all out and got me probably the best gift I will get this year, aside from the gifts from my kids. This is perfect! Pics:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1745
shots of eq and power as well?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 651
Sorry, forgot.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1746
very nice, what speakers did you have again?

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 652
Polk Audio db651 front stage and MB Quart FTA-169 rear

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1747
i approve of the polks, there nice but not as nice as the components, of corse there a lot more expensive. have not heard the MB Quart's let me know how you like them. if you find that your mids and high's cant keep up with the bass let me know i will hook you up with some nicer components.

at ~2k on sub stage you are moving in to the are where you may need to double up on front stage or cutting down on the bass for better SQ. or might need to move your sound stage higher up then knee LVL, wont know until you give it a try.

/rant

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 235
What haz happend 2 dis build?! I havnt been on for a while so maybe i missed a part 3 thread, just interested

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 669
Hey Noal, thanks for the interest. I had to put this on hold because of the fried wire. I have to replace the wire from my alternator to my starter. Anyway, as soon as it warms up a tad here I will be finishing. So, stay tuned.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 236
Haha for sure, I hadn't got on for a bout two weeks, and i figured it would be in the top like 10 like usual but i had to do some searching for it. But thats a drag that you had to put it on hold. Hopefully things warm up quick for you.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 345
is beating the hell out of cold subs and amps a bad thing? jus wondering

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 204
it cant say for sure but i would imagine that it isnt good for them. when my father had a system he would let the subs warm up for about 20mins then play em at what ever level he wanted
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us