Internal volume for Fi Q.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1166
Hey guys. What would be the optimal internal volume to run an 18" Q sealed. Also for a ported enclosure at 30 Hz? I'm gonna measure my trunk and see how much room I have to work with. I think an 18" Q in the back of my car would look sweet. I'd probably have the sub firing up toward the hatch so it would have plenty of room for excursion.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1167
Well, measured my trunk. The largest enclosure I could have would be 16" x 25" x 36". I figure using 3/4" mdf and having one side with a double baffle, thats 6.22 cubic feet overall. After the 18" Q displacement it'd be more around 5.98. Then take into account bracing inside the enclosure and it'd be less than that. So its looking like if I do the 18" Q sealed would be the way I'd have to go. The site says between 4 to 8 cubic feet, so my enclosure would be somewhere around 5 I'm guessing. Would 5 cubic feet do well for a Fi Q sealed? I guess another option I could have would be to do a 15" Q ported, but I would just rather be rocking an 18". I think it would just look really nice. Any suggestions guys?

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 766
Wait a minute,i thought you were looking to go smaller? lol

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15219
haha car audio has a way of doing that to people

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1168
Well, I was but it would just hold me over. Instead I figured I might as well just wait and plan out something, save up the money, then do it right. Whatever set up I go with won't be real soon, but in the near future. My main goal is to have nice low end bass. I know larger diameter woofers, like an 18, would help me achieve that. I'd go with two 12's, which would be easier to fit into my car, but I'm just not set on which ones as of yet. I woudln't want to run two 12" Qs because I don't plan on running 2k rms. I'm figuring on running a clean 1k rms to whatever sub(s) I do decide to go with. I'd also just like for whatever I get to be a step up from what I came from. Going with more power is one step in that direction, a good decision on what sub(s) to go with is next.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1172
After looking, I think I might be happy with a couple SSD's. Run two 12's in a sealed enclosure. I think I'm pretty set on going sealed this time. I ran the w7 ported and it did great on rap, but with rock it just sometimes didn't sound the best. It was great for bass drops but seemed a little sluggish on quick double bass. I think running sealed this time will clean that right up. Two 12" SSD's will be $418.96 shipped to me, not too bad. As far as amps I'll need one that'll put out ~1500 rms at 2 ohm. That's a little more power than I was looking to run, but I guess that'll be ok. As far as amps to do that power at 2 ohm, I'm thinking the RF 1500.1bd. The kicker 1500.1 will also do it, but its about $100 more. I feel RF makes good amps still. We'll see if I don't change my mind again soon haha.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15220
your looking at electrical there

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 432
I think you could run 2 of them nicely of a good 1200 watt amp. Wouldn't tax your electrical to much and will push them just fine. Even with 1000 you could just build the box bigger to compensate for low power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us