Old model Memphis studio class

Bronze Member
Username: Glock40

Post Number: 47
A guy wants to trade my new cvr 15, without box for 2 Memphis studio class 12's in a q-logic ported box, he said they sound awsome and will get loud.

But how much rms can each of the memphis 12's handle?? He just said they say 500 watts.

They look very similar too a mclass 12, but older model, they are dual 4ohm.

But i may have tooo much power i have a sundown, sae 1200d.V2

Anyone know the rms on these 12's thanks. And if they are decent subs (sounding wise)

Silver Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

BC Canada

Post Number: 408
keep the 15

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Ooh ok really? i had 2 cvr 15's 8 cubes @ 37.5 subs up port back in blazer with the sundown amp, and it was too much. Thhe bass broke my mirror off, and made the sound dead because of the bass.

I may just build an SQ box around 32hz, for that one 15 then, and run it at 2 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2543
keep the 15

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
ok thx guys

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
I ended up tradin him an old model cvr 12, without the gasket, for one of these cvr 15 copies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-15-1600W-P2-15W-Car-Audio-Subwoofer-DVC-/230520006345?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item35ac1026c9

Needless to say its 800rms rating is more like 250, because it was a dual 4ohm, and stuck it in the box with the cvr 15, (dual 15 box) and the d@mn PA fried, and the cvr is still good and it only says 500rms...

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1241

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 371
^x2

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1277

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Tucker, Georgia United States

Post Number: 423
hy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Ok, i have a question, when i had the 2 cvr 15's it was loud enough, that my reirview broke off, and ive tried mirror glue, gorilla glue everithing and with the 2 CVR 15' and the sundown amp reiirview woulk keep braking...... the thing is after maybe 2mins full blast my cvr15's coils would actually smell, and the tops would be pretty warm,and thats withthe amp way dow, but steel got VERY loud in my blazer. (all amp setting are right) subsonic no bass boost etc.

So im looking for 2 dual 4ohm 15s, that will not smell after 10 mins FULL blast on that amp, jacob said it does 1500rms @ 12.8, and i got extra batt and big 3.

Will it get ANY louder, (same box and amp), just by switching my well my WAS 2 CVR 15'S to one of the choices below, im looking stricly spl, hard to breath but even more than the cvr 15s, but want no coil smell after beating hard.

2 Type R 15's 750rms each

2 L5 15's 750rms each
or
2 SDC2.5 15's 600rms each

The main thing is it HAS to be loud as the cvr's, but i DONT want coil smell turned up...

you get what im sayin???

thxxx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Also does any of you know a premier sound guy on this forum, i know his and his name is nick too, he said he rarely gets on, he has a shop, abot 15 min from my house i go there every once and a while, next time i see him i will ask for him to get on and vouch about how loud the cvr's was, he said i made a great box and had good power is why they was like that.

But he sells RE DD MEMPHIS POWERBASS ATOMIC AND ARC AUDIO.

He is not actually the owner but he is my friend that builds tha boxes and installs, and he said it would do high 140's, but he still was gunna charge me 25$ for a 30 min session to get my peak, so i didnt do it....

The owner of the shop's, has a new magnum charger??? with 2 dd 2515's, built for sq, and OMG how good of sq it it, he played looow music in the upper 140's on 2k rms, and i mean like 30hz maybe, he peaks at 152.somin, looks like the car is completely falling apart

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1283
the type r's or the SDC would be my choices from your list. but i would try some FI SSD's or SSA ICON's.

maybe get in on the preorder for the sundown SA-15's, there rated for 600 watts but will take more than that.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/43804-sundown-sa-15-pre-order/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Dang i would love to run sundown subs and amps, will the sa-15s guaranteed be AS loud as the cvr 15's ya think?? in same sundown amp and box??

Also the coils on the sa-15's should not smell after like 10 mins jammin hard right??

tha amp is sae 1200d.v2 supposovaly jacob said they tested very higher than 1800rms around 14v but IDK bout that, but it actually seems like it, my amp is waaay down

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1284
the sae-1200d is a dead on match for those subs. i have a friend that runs 1 12" sa on 1k and it bangs just as loud as my 15" Q @1600, but the bass has more of a bite to it, as where my setup is SQ not spl.

as long as every thing is set right you should not haft to worrie about any thing. just set the amp to 1200 watts or use an o-scope. there is a science to setting the sub stage. set the sub amp at ~80-90% vol and run at 75% with eq settings should be great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thx deathhoob, that was a lot of usefull info, i guess im REALLY leaning towards the new sa-15's, I may get those, and have premier set everything the right way lol, and i will get them metered, he has a TL at his shop but charges 25 for 30min course to get your peaks.

I also may buy another cvr 15 d4 just 4 the hella it and see what it scores at, and get the sa-15's same box and power and see if i gain any lol, even if i dont, i would love to have all sundown.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1286
thats expensive, i just bring my guy a pack of smokes lol. by all means its your money spend it how you want. i would like to see the deference as well, as well i would like to hear your thoughts on how they differ, just break in the SA's for a couple weeks before you go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Yea, hey i wonder if i was smelling my coils, because i put them on high power right out of the box???

Or was it because it is too much power for them anyways??

But yea, ima order another cvr15, and meter it and then stick some sa-15's and see the diff in numbers lol, i may head to premier sounds shop now, aint got nething else to do lol, hes prob doin some more dd installs or re

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1288
it could just be the coils being warm / hot. i wouldn't know for sure with out looking at the whole setup.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us