Need help with H/O Alternator.

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf1985

Post Number: 34
Hi I have a 2003 Subaru legacy that i am looking for a 300 amp H/O alternator however the biggest i have found so far is 220 amp... I am looking at 2 15" Fi Qs in a sealed box, powered by a AQ2200D. I am looking at a DEH-P4200UB for my HU and still looking into what i will run for speakers and an amp for my front stage.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16635
which ho alt companies have u checked ? ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Ive gone right down the line, powerbastards, excessive amperage, highoutputalternator, dcpowerinc, ohiogenerator, mechman, etc...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16636
ok well those r all good companies & i guess the only way ur gonna fit a 300A is to have a custom bracket made which be some hassle & expense

imo get the 220A & a deep cycle battery with d highest AH rating that can fit in ur battery stand , ur voltage shud hold up but if it doesnt u may have to run a 2nd battery in the trunk ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Really do you believe that is enough? I was running the numbers and I didn't think that 220 would be good enough...

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1162
Peak amps is good but amps at idle is what is most crucial. Use the handy amps calculation. Watts X voltage = amps. I believe is you have Atleast 150 amps at idle and maintain a 14.4 voltage you're looking at 2160 possible watts being handled. That's not taking into consideration for your cars own power needs. That's also running the amp at full tilt. If you plan to run a second amp for the front stage you may be pulling a little more power than the alt by itself can handle. That's of course at full tilt. Playing it at average listening levels you should be just fine. Adding an additional strong battery would be an awesome idea though. The only time you may have any problems is cracking the system for a long period of time at idle.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1717
Are you sure DC power can't make a 300. I own a Subaru and an Acura and my Acura 300 amp from dc is smaller then my stock Subaru alt. At least that's the way it looks.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1165
I believe in this video Mechman rebuilt a stock alt and made it much stronger for the guy. It may be an option you can look into.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I emailed DC, i will try calling i guess maybe the person i got a response from didnt know what they were talking about.

currently i have a 90am alternator, so roughly 1296 watts avalible not nearly enough juice and i LOVE loud music, i need to feel it but i also need quality. I am a sound tech and a dj on the side... so when i am riding by myself i have the music pretty loud, therefore i was looking into a H/O alternator, 300amp... i figure the car uses almost 550 by itself with the stock alternator that leaves 777.5 watts, not nearly enough for what i want. with a 220 amp alternator, roughly 3168 watts available, minus the car watts 2618... then you need to figure the amp efficiency which i don't know i just plugged in the standard 80% leaving 2094.4 for the amp to output... i was looking at the aq2200d to run 2 15 fi q... in a sealed box... so 2094.4... that doesn't give me any headroom or left overs for a front stage...so that is why i was looking at a 300amp alternator...

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1718
i want to know what the amps were on the alt in the video to start. It seems it is a hair pin alt and it looks pretty beefy from the get go.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2426
You aren't looking at box-rise though. If your amp can pull 200 amps at 1 ohm, and you're running your subs at 1 ohm, you can normally expect to see your rise at least go up to 2 ohms. At that point you're looking at much less current draw.

If DC Power makes one for your vehicle I would do that + 1 good spare battery in back. Most high output alternators in the 300+ amp range have weak idle output, which is really the important thing for a daily driven vehicle.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
i know powerbastards make a 220 amp alternator. so i may just go with that then

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 394
I have a 220 from powerbastards and have not had any problems. Of course I don't have my system hooke up yet either. I'll let ya know when I do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
alright thanks... i just hope it will be enough to run what i want....

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15223
that 220 alt wont be enough in my opinion....you have to account for your cars basic electrical needs too not to mentioin that 220 is prob a cold rating youll put out less at hot rating

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
That is what I was thinking... I guess i will need to shop around some more and talk to some people... I may be able to get 2 Bosch 200amp alternators... how would one wire that in? Both hots to the positive terminal or do i need some sort of special set up?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
W0133-1616137-BOS Jc Whitnety has them really inexpensive but i am unconvinced that they are actually 200 amp. Any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us