Need Help Building a Ported Box for a 10" Kicker L5 Subwoofer

Username: Lutch004

Post Number: 1
Well i just purchased a 10" Kicker L5 and now i need to build a box. I've read that if i want the loudest sound i need to go ported. This being the first subwoofer i have owned looking on sites how to build a ported box really just confused me. So it would be nice if someone would be so kind to enlighten me on the basics of a ported box and help me figure how to build this box.

-On a side note 400 watt RMS amp should be good right? 500 watt RMS would be too much, correct?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5787
If your interested, I can design it for you, make all the cut's and ship the pre-cut wood to you for a good price Then all you would need to do is to put it together...

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1141
If its dual 4 ohm you'll need an amp that will feed it 500 rms at 2 ohm.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the offer but id rather not pay someone. So 500 rms at 2 ohms is the way to go?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16604
i havent worked with that sub but go to kicker's website & use d specs they have their since their specs actually work good for their subs .....

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1142
If the sub is a dual 4 ohm voice coil, then yes 500 rms at 2 ohm. If it is a dual 2 ohm voice coil version then you'd want 500 rms at 1 ohm. As far as building the enclosure, look up the specs for your sub. You should have a maximum and minimum internal volume recommended for the sub. If you want to keep the bass more tight go toward the smaller end, if you want deeper bass go more toward the larger volume. If you want a mixture, go somewhere in the middle. As far as tuning, if you want it to be loud, tune a little higher, 35-37 Hz. If you want lower end bass, tune to 32 Hz or so. How long and wide the port is, is what controls the tuning of the frequency. You can look up programs online for exact measurements, etc. The most important thing is to make sure the box is built strong. Any weakness in the box is going to ruin your enclosure.

Post Number: 3
See im not worried about strength, it will be strong. I looked up all the specs and played around with a few programs and i still dont understand how i should do this? Hah guess im a noob to the extreme at this

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 739
Maybe just pay bassman for a design w/ a cut list?
Im sure he can help you out with this.

Post Number: 4
Blah forget paying people, alls i needed was some greens up in my brain. I figured it out hah. But the amp situation i just dont feel that 500 rms is a good idea for a sub thats rated at 450 rms

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5788
it's fine... I don't even consider that overpowering your speaker. 50 rms is nothing.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1260
my Q is rated for 1k and i am pushing 1600 to it.

Post Number: 5
Awesome thanks for the help everyone. I'll let you all know how it goes once i get it built.. once i have the cash hah
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us