Want your guys opinion on setup

Username: Potripper121

Rumford, Maine United States

Post Number: 1
ok well iam gonna be getting my idmax d212v3 re conned soon since they guy on ebay sent me one that was about to go..lol oh well got it for $150 shipped.

now i want to know what you guys think of this setup. iam on a tight budget.
i want to get this box
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7596_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1H12-1.4+-Gray-.html

and this amp
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_16349_Hifonics_ZXi_1006.aspx

i want to series bridge my sub to 4 ohm and than run the amp bridged at 4ohms. so what do u guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 455
get a custom made ported box tuned @ 30-33

Post Number: 2
i know ...thats what it seems like everyone uses but i want to have room in my trunk and also dont have the craftsmanship of a place to go to get a box built, i found one online for like $100 that had 2.29 cubic ft of volume but no mention of what hz it was tuned to , so i was kinda staying away from that

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8124
You may want to check a local shop.
Give them the design you want, as long as they are a reasonable and knowledgeable shop, they will build it for you.

I charge ~$125-140 (depending on complexity) for most single 12" ported boxes here at the shop, most other shops should be along those lines.

Post Number: 3
well i live in the middle of no were... and i dont think we have any shops around..maybe one like 3 hours away..maybe ill have to check it out and see if they build boxes. if not what do u guys suggest?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 457
build one urself

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 828
or you could have one of our forum members build you one. instead of carpet you could paint it and save some on the cost.

Post Number: 4
iam terrible at building things..it would come out like crap

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8125
There are quite a few people online that build and ship boxes.
I used to do that, but now I work at a brick and mortar shop. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out though.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 829
if you want and have a home depot or something of the like bassman3 could give you a cut list then all you haft to do is have them cut it for you and glue and screw it together, if you where in Atlanta i would help you but you would haft to cut the wood, i cant cut a striate line with a T-square.

Post Number: 5
lol those are the problems i have to,,i suck at cutting wood lol....well do u guys know of any online places that build boxes? and do u think that amp will work good? i know i want the boxed tuned to 30hz. but what about size?

Post Number: 6
what about this one? or is it to small?
http://www.brightstarcaraudio.com/Ported-Subwoofer-Boxes/One-Hole-Ported/Alpine- 12-2010-Type-R-Ported-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Box-p519.html

Post Number: 7
found a better one on ebay that says its tuned to 32 hz... how would this one do
http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-SLOT-PORTED-BOX-12-SUB-WOOFER-2-0-ft-3-32Hz-/20048623 1739?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eade91ebb

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 461
the 1st link box is to small, only 1.5 cu ft, ur gonna want 2.0-2.5. the 2nd link doesnt work

Post Number: 8
ok ill try it again
http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-SLOT-PORTED-BOX-12-SUB-WOOFER-2-0-ft-3-32Hz-/200486231739?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eade91ebb

if it still dont work ..hers the specs
# 2.0ft^3 Net Volume
# Slot-Port Tuned @ 32Hz for MAXIMUM "SQL"
# Double-Faced Front Panel (for added woofer support)
# Show Quality Custom Carpet
# Gold-Plated Binding Posts
# 11" Round Cutout (slight mod required for oversized subs)
# Dimensions (W x H x D): 30" x 13.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 233
I personally think you should be looking for a Class D mono amp for that sub. What's your price range?

Post Number: 9
i was gonna get one, but i read around that class a/b amps are better and have alot better sound quality. and dont use as much power to use. like they can hit max potential with only 11-12 volts instead of 14 like class d do. but i know what i would get if i got a class d. either jbl bp1200.1 phoenix gold x 1200.1 or a kicker amp

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 465
i totally agree eric... ur not gonna want that hifonics, as i havent had em personally but i hear every1 says they dont do stated rated power and are cheap budget amps. Look on ur local craigslist maybe, and just find something that does ~1000 rms at 1 ohm(of course check with us for reccomendation). Shouldnt really have to spend more than 150-170 for quality 1000

Post Number: 10
ok well i want to run it at 4ohms not 1 ohm...so i will have to spend a lil bit more

any suggestions?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 831
is it a DVC sub?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16456
i am betting u that u cannot hear any difference in a class A\B vs a class D amp unless ur a trained pro...both being good brands of course

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iD%20Sub%20woofer%20box%20designs/

& look at their 28 & 32hz box plans

personally i think a 12" idmax sounds most accurate (best) in a sealed but i it may not be loud enough for some ppl

if going ported i wud suggest keeping the box tuning very near the 30hz mark so u will get to hear\feel what this sub is really capable of doing

ask bassman3 on here to give u a box estimate ...

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14714
good sub choice

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i know i allready found the box iam gonna get.
# 2.0ft^3 Net Volume
# Slot-Port Tuned @ 32Hz for MAXIMUM "SQL"
# Double-Faced Front Panel (for added woofer support)
# Show Quality Custom Carpet
# Gold-Plated Binding Posts
# 11" Round Cutout (slight mod required for oversized subs)
# Dimensions (W x H x D): 30" x 13.

now just need to find a good amp to go along with it

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 834
AQ1200D $249 each
shipped ?? maybe find a used one?

or a sundown 1000D used

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
those seem pretty decent, but what would be a good amp that i could pull like 800-1000 watts out of at 4ohm. i wanna run my sub which is a dvc 2 ohm in a series bridge at 4 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 159
Why not run at 1 ohm? You won't hear much of a difference, if any going from 4 ohm to 1 ohm unless you have a very trained ear. Also, it would be easier on your wallet to get a amp that can do 800-1000 watts at 1 ohm instead of 4 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i know but iam looking for more SQ than Spl. that why i got the idmax. i still think the hifonics zeus would be a decent choice for only $180 shipped and i read that it was a great amp since its class a/b. and it runs 1000 watts at 4ohms bridged. but if u guys think 1 ohm would be the same, whats some good amp i can get for under $200

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 237
I completely agree with Matt. As far as amp suggestions, try the Sundown 1000D used.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14808
with your budget i agree

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 472
just look on caraudio.com! theres tons of stuff there or craigslist as i mentioned(but beware most of it is cRaP on cl, ive seen directed 2400ds and 1500ds on there before for 120-150, good amps)

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
I understand you want a SQ system but the difference in SQ from 4 ohm to 1 ohm is going to hardly, hardly be noticeable (that is if you even can notice). Also, class A/B amps will run hotter because they aren't nearly as efficient as a class D amp. It's your choice, you ultimately make the final decision but if you decide to go with a class D amp I agree with deathoob and Eric Riffe. The AQ1200D is a great amp and all of Sundown's products are great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ok..thnaks guys, never heard of any of those amp. i want to get a xenon 1200.1 but they seem to be rare. i had a 600.1 on my idmax but when it died i sold it... all the amps i want seem to be pretty expensive..like the bp1200.1 or the kx1200.1 ... are any of the hifonics amps any good because they are cheap and ive heard they are ok for when u need alot of power but dont have alot of cash. and if they are a lil over rated ill just buy one thats a lil bigger. like a 1500.1 i hear they push like 1000 rms

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 839
i don't always talk out of my a.s.s, only snow does that. (sarcasm) if you are wanting the best SQ work on your front stage and have some good EQ's and work with the cab of the car to have it sound just right in your car.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 840
well the hifonics does "rated power" just not clean power at rated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
so pretty much the quality of the amps sucks....because i found one for 109 shipped that says 1500 wats at 1 ohm and iam guessing i could get at least 1000 out of it which would be perfect.... but i want a good amp to....

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11178
So you are into SQ, and are looking at a hifonics amp... fail.

Some info
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/542894.html

And they are not just overrated, built poorly also.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11179
Oh and also, get a good quality class D amp like that AQ, and you will never be able to tell it apart from a class AB amp. There is no audible increase in distortion but there is a big gain in efficencey.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 843
if i had a saz-1000D i would sell it to you if it wasn't in use, i run a 3000D my self. sundown amps if you look at there amp p0rn vs lets say the AQ, sundown is about 20% overbuilt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
I've heard that Hifonics amps are alright, nothing special but yeah, good bang for your buck amplifiers. Also, if you decide to go with Hifonics then yes, I do recommend getting the next model up from the one you that would (on paper) meet your power needs. Deathoob is also correct about wanting to get the best SQ setup you can. Most of your SQ is going to come from your front stage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
ok ty guys. found the sundown on ebay for 275 shipped. couldnt find the other one, but i did find the xenon 1200.1 shipped for $380 and the bp.1200.1 for $218 shipped and ive heard nothing but good things about the JBl. so i think ill go with one of those because i loved my xenon 600.1

i think ill just save up the extra bucks to get the xenon 1200.1 bc the bp doesn't have a cooling fan and that scares me lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
AQ1200D is 249 shipped on the Audioque website. Just adding a choice to the mix.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
ok thanks ya i think i might go with that one....either the AQ or The Bp bc the Xenon is to expensive. also one other question. thd is total harmonic distortion right? how is that measured?

oh ya almost forgot to....this box will be fine right ? fits image dynamics standards. http://cgi.ebay.com/12-CUSTOM-PORTED-MDF-SUB-ENCLOSURE-BOX-2-0-ft-3-32Hz-/170505462535?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b2eae307

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 845
thers 2 or 3 saz-3000D's for sale ( http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71 ) but check this page for good used class D amps i got my saz-3kd from hear and i love it, does ~900 watts at 4 ohms to lol but its 525 - 550 used. just keep an eye out unless you have "MUST HAVE IT NOW" syndrome. or any of your last choice's are solid amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
ok i will kepp loking at that site see if i see anything.. and yes i think if i pick any of those other amps i mentioned i will be very happy. heard any problems of the bp over heating bc of no fan? and still will that box work good for me

( http://cgi.ebay.com/12-CUSTOM-PORTED-MDF-SUB-ENCLOSURE-BOX-2-0-ft-3-32Hz-/170505 462535?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b2eae307 )

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 846
no idea on box thats not my area lol, also havent herd any thing about that amp befor, my saz-3000D has no fan stays cool. you should be good as long as you give it some room to breath.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
ok thanks

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11180
No fans needed if it has a good heatsink design. None of the amps i've ever ran had fans.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 475
dude, U MUST BE LOGGED ON WHEN U are on ebay. u can not be logged on and then try and copy and past the link on here. heres what it says
"This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available"
log off ur id, then recopy and paste bud

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14852
good thought there

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 367
if your going to run 1000 watts or more to your sub you will need to upgrade your electrical
and if you plan on using an amp for your front stage which i highly recommend for a sq set up you will really need to upgrade your electrical, theres no way a stock alt and stock wiring will supply that amount of current.
if you decide you want to keep a stock electrical system, your best bet is to use a very efficient class d amp rated around 600 watts rms, and use a small amp for your front stage, 100 watts per channel or so. that is going to put a big strain on your alt when your at high volumes, but it will work

if you decide to use 1000 watts to the sub and say 200 for the front stage its not going to work, your headlights and going to severly dim, and you will be no where near the power you think you are pushing.
just letting you know, if you decide stock is what you want to do, why pay close to 400 for an amp that will only use half its potential

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks and ya i know,,,,,,i am gonna get a new battery and alternator,

ok heres the link while not logged in ryan

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-CUSTOM-PORTED-MDF-SUB-ENCLOSURE-BOX-2-0-ft-3-32Hz-/170505 462535?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b2eae307

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14857
the link still doesnt work

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 534
Idk,i think if it were me id still pay someone to build a nice box. If you dont put that sub in a quality box built to specs its not going to sound very good. Bassman on here does nice work,im sure he can work something good out for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
well the one i was gonna buy seems like it work good. 2cubic feet net volume tuned to 32hz which fits image dynamics standards. its think built with 3/4 MDF and i was gonna caulk the inside of it when i got it.... plus it would prob cost me an arm and a leg to get it built and shipped from bassman , this is only 120 shipped

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 542
Yea idk what it would cost you,but its worth a look just to see anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us