Picking New Woofer(s)

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 189
Within the next couple weeks I should have money and time for a new sub setup. That is... I want to pull my pair of Kicker CVR12's, and replace them with something that has more SQ without giving up too much of the loudness. I have decided that I still want to get loud, but I want quite a bit more sound quality than what I have with the kickers.

Here are the limits... I don't want to spend more than $200 on the woofer(s) and I will be using my zx750.1 to power them. Box size is not really an issue but if possible I'd like to keep it small, then again I have the space...

I looked at a Diamond D6, but was wondereing how loud a single 12 would get me. I'm sure it would sound clean but I don't know if it would be loud enough. Remember, I've been listening to those kickers for the last two years and with the ported box, I think they really got loud.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 122
If you could be any chance spend maybe an extra 30 bucks over your 200 dollar limit, I've heard that the Polk Audio SR's are very good with SQ applications while still having the ability to get very loud. One of the 12' dual 4 ohm SR's would be a great fit for your Kicker amp. I've also heard that the SR's do pretty well in smaller enclosures. I'm not trying to pressure you into this, I'm just saying that this woofer is supposedly a very good SQ sub.

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 190
Thank you Matt, I will give that sub some thought.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 344
your better off going with 2 diamond d3s.
with such a small budget its hard to really recommend any great brands as they will be more than your 200 that you want to spend, maybe some t3 audio subs, not sure on price but i know their lower line is cheap

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 419
i strongly reccomend the ht pro blackout selling for 160 shipped on ebay. 1500 rms and sounds just as good as my idmax and icon...get it

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 255
"Within the next couple weeks I should have money for a new sub setup"

With $200 to spend, it doesn't quite look like you will.

Username: Coupedeville23

Post Number: 4

You have $200 total to spend on two subs and a box? Good luck with that. If you insist on sticking with that amp, and want to run two subs, they would have to be single voice coil 4ohms or DVC 2ohms (amp isn't 1ohm stable). Considering what that amp puts out for power, I would go with two Alpine Type Es. They offer nice SQ, and still get plenty loud. If you can settle for one woofer, either get an Infinity Kappa Perfect (if you can find one), which is the best SQ I've ever heard, or get a JL Audio W3. Definetly don't go with Kicker again if you want SQ. I think the Comp CVRs are their best for SQ, and still aren't anything special. Keep us posted.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3833
Put the CVR 12"s in a sealed box and call it a day. Then when you save up enough to make an upgrade worth while, go for it.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 143
x2

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14522
x3
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts