12' Alpine Type R vs. 12' Kicker CVR (WHICH IS BETTER?)

Username: Castro215

Post Number: 2
Ive came up with a question that kinda made me think so i decided to post a thread. Which do you think is better 12' Alpine Type R or 12' Kicker CVR and why?

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 476
Type r gets my vote. Just a better all around sub period!

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 120
X2

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16433
no competition : TYPE R - louder & sounds smoother too ....

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 418
they have subwoofers in trnidad and tobago?

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 417
R u serious? There's subs all over the world. It's not like the U.S. is runnin a monoply on subwoofers

and my vote goes to the type r. For the same reasons stated

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16437
dude T&T is not a place on mars - we have a dealer for almost every single car audio brand ...

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 251
Type-R, hands down.

Silver Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

BC Canada

Post Number: 388
Type-R all the way, kicker blows monkey balls.

i did 150+ on a pair of type r's

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 420
15s or 12's? and was it on a tl

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8110
depends.

How much power do you have to use?
What type of sound are you looking for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
IMO, regardless of the answers to those questions, there isn't any upside to choosing CVR's over TypeR's.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 349
i dont see a pair of type r's doing over 150 on a tl. they get loud, but not even close to being that loud, and they really cant handle more than 6-700 watts each. if i see a video ill believe it.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 422
yea... same here... ON A TERMALB 150?? get real please..

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 423
btw congrats on buying that xcon 18 cwruck! have fun lol. i heard a 18 fi bl on 1200 watts in a 10.0 cu ft box and 18s are just SICK, to much bass for me lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
thanks man, i actually decided to use it in my house. its pretty cool watching vids on youtube of people that have systems and knowing when im watching it on my computer with my home stereo using the 18 the bass is louder in my house than that persons car. u know what i mean? lol

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 427
ROFL, dawwwwggggg dang thats gonna be sweet for partys rofl, ur gonna piss the neibors off

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
ya i already had 2 subs 1 12 with 250 watt rms bash amp 1000 watt peak and a 15" sub with 250 watt rms bash amp and 1000 watt peak and it was cool for parties, have some distance between the neighbors so i could kinda crank it.
but wow the old set up can't even compare to the 18. box is tuned to 33 hz but i get crazy good response down to 14 hz. haha to all those fools with an svs pb ultra that think they are loud and low.
its basically like an earthquake in my house. can get my 100 lb recliner to move, and the glass on my coffee table bounces like 2 inches off the wood lol

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1455

quote:

i dont see a pair of type r's doing over 150 on a tl. they get loud, but not even close to being that loud, and they really cant handle more than 6-700 watts each. if i see a video ill believe it.

They can handle 800wrms (Clean Power) daily. I currently have 2 type r's on a sundown saz2000d which is underrated and they take it just fine. I dont have the amp turned all the way up to where it could be, but it is close. I bet you could give a single type r 2000+ wrms on a burp and it would handle it for a while. I think that with the proper install a pair of type-r's could definitely do 150db.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14499
type r gets my vote as well

Username: Coupedeville23

Post Number: 1

I work at a car audio shop, and have had plenty of opportunity to demo both. I'm a little biased, as I've always been loyal to Alpine, but I was still impressed with the CVRs. Kicker as a brand does not get my vote, as Alpine has proven to be much more reliable, but I would still give the CVRs a vote for decent SQ. As for total output and SPL, the Type R blows the CVR away, no question. Kicker is known for loud sloppy subs (L7,Solarbarics)and if you value quality in your tones, don't buy them. At the same time, I would rather have a Type X, as the SQ from the R doesn't impress me much, and never seems to sound good in a sealed box. Still wins this contest though.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 438
yea... type r for the money SAVE! type x for the sq and money LOSS!

Silver Member
Username: Loudblazer

El reno, Ok

Post Number: 293
Would a Hifonics HFi100.2 amp bridged at 4 ohm 400 watts with a 12 type r dual 4 ohm be ok? I found the amp for $80 and im not looking to spend a lot. Found the sub for $100. Thats about exactly how much i wanna spend. I know it wont be really loud i just want some nice bass. Thanks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14504
that combo would work fine

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14505
wait im not sure about that model amp

Silver Member
Username: Loudblazer

El reno, Ok

Post Number: 294
I couldnt find any reviews on it. I used to have a hifonics 250 watt son of thor and it was great. Nobody believed that it was only 250 watts. I figued if its just as good or even a little worse than the one i had i would be happy with it for getting it for $80.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 145
It wouldn't work fine because you can't get a dual 4 ohm woofer to a 4 ohm load. You would need to get the dual 2 ohm model and wire it in series, that would give you the 4 ohm load your looking for.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 389
To all the haters that dont believe type r's can do over 150 on the TL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucOTZLsSBmU

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 424
Ha he showed u guys. Disproved that 6-700 rms theory to lol.

Also y would u guys try to talk chit before askin any questions about the setup. he didn't mention it was on 7k in a hatchback but everyone just had to jump to hating on his statement before knowin wats up

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 390
thank you zack. daily i used to run 3k to the pair.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 391
the thing is. if the subs get clean power, no distortion then they will last a lot longer even with double the recomendded power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
i would love to see somebody push 3000 watts to a pair of 2 12 in type r's, i just dont see them lasting long at all.. sorry
the vid is cool i can see it being possible, i just see it much harder to do with those woofers compared to a different pair of woofers you know?
im sure even if you burp them enough at that power they will go out soon.
ive had type r's and gave them clean power and when you cranked them they started to smell, and that was with clean power and no clipping
you can power them with 3000 watt rms amps, but if your keeping the volume low your not even getting close to the power the amp can do
but overall it was an impressive vid

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
and theres always going to be distortion no matter what, no amp is distortion free and you will have to spend crazy amounts of money on an amplifier to have a low distortion rate but theres still going to be alot of distortion especially with bass.
and then the woofers themselves, they are great subwoofers but not made to take that amount of power, with 3000 watts they are going to have mechanical issues very quickly

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
"you will have to spend crazy amounts of money on an amplifier to have a low distortion rate"

Not necessarily...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22381_Pioneer+GM-D7500M.html

$119 for 0.03% THD @ RMS Output

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
now show me real numbers with that amplifier, please show me a graph to where that holds true and the amount of power it puts out.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 392
cwruck you must also take into account the box and how well the subs are vented. also what frequency its being played at, 55+ hz wont hurt the subs, its when u play them at 45hz is when they start hurting. in a small civic 3k daily without blowing them up is very achivable. now if u were to change to say an suv they will cook in no time. the more vehicle airspace the harder the subs will work.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 393
now back on topic. the kicker cvr is more compareable to the alpine type S.

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
yes but what music do you listen to that doesnt drop below 45 hz?
and what is the volume of the headunit? im sure you are nooo where near max amp draw, meaning wayyy less than 3000 watts.

not really a daily driving system
i did say the vid hitting 150 dbs is quite impressive for 2 type r's. must have dedicated alot of time to the vehicle and lots and lots of testing but you guys keep trying to make it seem like type r's are unbelievably amazing speakers and they are not, they can not handle 1500 watts a piece, i see them having a hard time with 7-800 true watts for exteneded periods of time, im sure they will start to get warm and smell after a few minutes of cranking, with clean power, little distortion, and no clipping.
and the other dude trying to show me the pioneer really has no idea what he is talking about. sorry your trying to make me look like a fool, and it was a pretty bad attempt
now if you can prove me wrong i am all for it, i really am

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 394
im not saying they are the best, but for the price u cant beat it. my treo tsx's that are rated for 400 rms took 3k all year long beaten every day without smelling or getting warm. the alpines do get warm and will eventually blow up, for burps u cant got wrong with them, they take one hell of a beating. they do however take 1000rms each without stinking or getting warm. taking the rubber peice off the magnets help lots too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14530
im amazed the subs can take that much too

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
"please show me a graph to where that holds true and the amount of power it puts out."

No graph needed.

Pioneer's specs for that amp (included in that link) have been oficially confirmed to have met "CEA 2006 Specifications" including THD percentage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
"the other dude trying to show me the pioneer really has no idea what he is talking about. sorry your trying to make me look like a fool, and it was a pretty bad attempt"

Actually, I wasn't trying to make you look like a fool. You seem to be doing that just fine on your own. LOL

Posting a link to an amplifier, and writing "Not necessarily" is not a personal attack man, calm down.

I know you're still new, but you need to learn not to take things so personally.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14589
fight nice now

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 449
wait... is that 2 type r 12's????? doing 150?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 450
i do not believe it. Show pics of the subs and amp and hole setup in ur trunk.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 522
^ Believe it there jr

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 425
Yea idk wats so hard to believe. 7k in a small hatchback enough said.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 426
And IMO 2 type rs on 3k is believable if it's done wisely. I had a single cvr 12 on a rd 1000 v1 at 1 ohm. So 1 cvr on 1k. It was in my gfs car for 3 months, not 1 issue and she isn't very conservative with the volume lol so it took a beatin. Showed a kid in my area her system, he was so amazed. He ended buyin the 2 cvrs I had for 180.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14613
now you gotta buy the gf new subs haha

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 427
Lol I had a rd sonance dual 2 layin around so I threw that in there and maybe a month later 1 coil died so I ran it on one coil for awhile before it completely chitted out. So now she's rockin my brothers old sub- it's a dub sub that was made by audiobahn back in the day. Seriously the lightest p.o.s. woofer I've ever picked up lol but it's oulasted the rd and makes her happy so I can't complain.

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
^LoL (@ Sean)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14620
hey whatever works

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 395
the boss, first off you aint a boss. second i dont give a sh*t if you believe me or not i dont have to prove to you nothing. and third the video speaks for itsself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us