HO Alternator vs Upgraded Battery vs Adding Second Battery

Bronze Member
Username: Eexospire

Post Number: 13
I'm currently running 4x50rms for my mains, and 1x500rms for my IDMAX 12". My vehicle is a 99 Mitsubishi Galant 4 CYL w/ stock alternator and battery. I will soon be upgrading the amp to an Alpine M1000 1x1000rms, which will put me at a total of 1200rms watts.

My stock alternator is only 90amps, and as it is, pushing 700rms watts, I already have headlight dimming issues. It seems I have 3 options, all of which would include upgrading my 'big 3' first...

1. I could get a HO alternator built by DC Power for around $600 installed.

2. I could upgrade my main battery.

3. I could get a second battery.

Would I be OK with either adding a second battery or upgrading my main battery, or should I just get a HO alternator?

Bronze Member
Username: K10

Post Number: 16
You should upgrade your alternator then do "the big 3" along with it. With that said, $600 sounds ridiculous. How much are they charging for installation?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
It is $100ish for installation which includes the big 3 upgrade... the alternator would be $500 from DC Power and is 220amps/ 160idle.

Bronze Member
Username: K10

Post Number: 17
I see. Well you might check DB Electrical... a 220 amp alternator costs only $229 for my car model. I do not know how much it puts out when the car is idle. I'm fairly new to this stuff, but $500 seems pretty steep from what I've seen.

Also, are you sure you need 220 amps from your alt? What about a 160?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14626
it wont have near the idle amperage but 500 is a lot of cash

Bronze Member
Username: Arangov3

Post Number: 24
go with dc there great you wont go wrong with the new line of amps they have

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 983
you can get the alt for 300 tops! 500 is insane

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I finally got some things done to my sound system, but the shop also told me some bummer news. This whole time they were in contact with the guy from DC Power, where I was planning to get a HO alt at some point from, and he was gathering info on the build for my 99 galant, and it turns out that he just can't do it. So anyways, I had the big 3 done and they replaced some other stuff as well, and then I had a 4guage amp kit installed that I got for super cheap when I worked at Best Buy to replace my other one which was probably 8guage. I also had them replace my Kenwood 8104D with the Alpine M1000, and I replaced my Alpine Type-S fronts and Sony Xplod rears with Hertz Energy coaxial front and rears, and that has been a great upgrade in itself.

But then to the crappy part- they called me and informed me that the cone on my IDMAX was damaged, that this sound I thought was rattling was actually coming from the sub, and that the sub was putting the amp into protection mode. When he mentioned it putting the amp into protection mode, I had a realization. Ever since I first got my IDMAX, it would randomly put my amp into protection mode when played for prolonged periods at high volumes. Sometimes it would take 3 hours for it to do so, and other times just 20 minutes. I'm not sure if hot weather plays into this but I think it might. Anyways, the shop that originally installed the IDMAX said it may be dipping below 2ohms and that my amp simply couldn't keep up with it at demanding times. So I finally bought the Alpine M1000 when I worked at Best Buy in December, and I just got it installed, and now this new shop tells me it's because the cone is damaged, and that something inside the sub like a coil may also be damaged.

I didn't bother to look at the cone until I got home for some reason, but when I did, I noticed that the cone on the upper front part was infact damaged, it looks like its starting to peel off at a couple places. But the weird thing is, I looked at my sub not but 5 days ago and the cone looked fine. I'm going to let the shop know tomorrow and see if they have anything new to say about it. I called Image Dynamics and I can get a repair kit for $190, and that includes the cone and some other things which I'm not exactly sure of, but I do think they told me it included new coils as well.

What could cause it to put the amp into protection mode? Would this kit indeed be all I need? Why did my cone get damaged just within the last few days?

They also told me that my sealed box (that the shop I went to 2 years ago whom is now out of business built for me) isn't exactly built right and that it would sound a lot better in a proper box. The dimensions of my sealed box are: 7 1/2" deep at the top, 11" deep at the bottom, 14" tall, and 26" wide. What do you guys think about all of this?

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 126
go with a ported box unless you absolutely need the space you will get a greater output from the sub also dont get a prefab box get one customed Dustin3 aka Bassman3 makes almost all the boxes for EC members and he does good work cheap and the boxes look amazing

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 127
also getting a better alt would be good but upgrading batts and getting a 2nd batt would be the best

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 334
Check out powerbastards.com I got mine from there for around $350 shipped. Or Ohio Generator or Steve Meade designs' place or http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks for the suggestions!

I sent the sub to Image Dynamics so they could see what is wrong with it and why it is putting my amps into protection mode.

When I get it back I am going to have a ported box made for it.

Ohio Gen quoted me $550 for a 160amp alternator and excessiveamperage quoted me $360 for a 200amp alternator. Powerbastards has a 220amp alternator for $299, so that seems like the cheapest option so far.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11238

quote:

also getting a better alt would be good but upgrading batts and getting a 2nd batt would be the best

This could not be more wrong.

An HO alternator is by far the best upgrade as the alt is the only source of power. Adding batteries does not give you the ability to draw more power without problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us