6.5" components under $200

Username: Jarick

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a pair of passive 6.5" components for my front speakers. I like a more laid back sound with a good amount of low end, not too forward or aggressive in the midrange, smooth high end (not spitty at all!). Basically I have sensitive ears that hate aggressive mids and I usually listen to music at lower volumes.

Right now I'm running a pair of Seas W18 woofers and Alpine Type X (Vifa XT25) tweeter with the Alpine crossover (used to run active in my old car with a Premier 880 deck). They don't work very well together (woofers are really accurate but forward in the midrange and there's a gap in the upper midrange, tweeters don't play low enough, impedance mismatch).

Other 6.5" comps I've used were Alpine Type X (good detail but not enough low end, weak overall), RE's (boxy/papery), Kicker Resolutions (ringing mids), and probably others I can't remember.

My budget's only about $200 so I was looking at the CDT CL61's with the upgraded 1" silk tweeter, but don't know much about them other than them being a great budget speaker. Not sure about the sound.

Any input appreciated!

Other info:

Amp - Phoenix Gold Octane, 75W RMS x 4 (rear channels feeding "subs")
Rear Speakers - none
Subs - Goldwood 6.5" mini-subs, crossed over about 120 Hz (don't need much sub bass)
Music - all kinds of rock music
Vehicle - Nissan Murano (stock locations, might put tweeters in the A-pillars)
Deck - stock (can't put in aftermarket deck) w/ RCA output adapter
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us