Time to start the build! need help though

Bronze Member
Username: Mittens08

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 66
ok so currently i have 2 15in american bass xos running in 1 ohm of an american bass sq800x2.....okk but its time to take things serious i bought that jus to have some bumps. the first steps im taking is all new electrical...where can i find a strong enough alt? im ordering all new 0/1 gauge wiring tomorrow after work but i need to find a new alt and battery or 2....ive been thinking about what subs and amp to get but i think im gonna go with 2 15in BLs dual 2 ohm running of a Sundown Audio SAZ-2000D....and i dont know if it matters but my headunit is a Jensen VM9312....thanks to all who help im excited to start putting together a real system!!! i wish i didnt have to work in 4 hours

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 729
Purchase yourself a nice HU, with 4 volt pre-outs and other features you'll want. Pioneer or Alpine would be nice choices. As far as alts, ask DC Power Engineering or Mechman what they can do for you. You can email them from their website. Also look into a good pair of components up front and a nice 2 channel amp for em.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13616
the SAZ-2000D is 1 ohm stable. For two subs, you'll need dual 4 ohm coil subs, not dual 2 ohm.
Dual 2 ohm, with coils and subs in parallel, will yield a 0.5 ohm load.

I would also suggest upgrading the head unit eventually, but that can wait.
You will, as noted, want an amp like the SAX-125.2 or 80.4 to drive the rest of your speakers to keep up with those BL15s, and choose some good components as well.

As for electrical..
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/goodbadugly.html
(scroll down to alternators)
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/altspecs.html
understanding alternator ratings
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/charging.html
electrical system basics
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/big3.htm
big 3
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/battiso.html
using multiple batteries for car audio applications
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/batteries/index.htm
audio battery size calculator

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13617
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/imaging.html
front stage basics

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 67
is there a need for a new HU it was a bday gift from my gf she suprised me with it lol not the best but its nice....but what is the website? and component wise i have up front 2 Alpine type r speakers and 2 rockford fosgate tweeters....right now i have about 1200 saved for electrical will that be enough for a new alt battery(s)and wires?

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 68
can u order the Fi BLs in dual 4ohm?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13618
Jensen isn't a great brand, but I guess if you're hapy with it, whatever. That's up to you. Aside from what are most likely 2V preouts, the head unit isn't going to make a big difference in overall performance if you don't need things like time alignment and parametric EQing, and you want to just use the crossovers on the amplifiers themselves so sure, stick with the Jensen. If it dies, then upgrade. Sell the girlfriend to cover the upgrade costs. :D

Alpine coaxials, and RF tweeters? what? why? Just get a set of Type R component separates so they're matched, and have them installed properly to match signal path lengths and reduce reflection and beaming.

an alternator should cost you about $200-350 for 200-270A output. 1/0 gauge wiring for two amps and the big 3, figure $150.
Batteries will vary depending on your desire and needs, but an isolator is about $50, and batteries will be between $100-300 each depending on what you use.. XS Power, Sears Diehard, Kinetik, etc.. and the size.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13619
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154bfafc7f2e911/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0020_BL/product_overview.shopscript

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154bfafc7f2e911/s hopdata/0070_Tech/0070_Speakers/0020_Tech.BL/product_overview.shopscript

sorry, you want them in dual 1-ohm coil.
That way you wire the coils in series, and subs in parallel. 1 ohm final load on a mono amp.

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 69
idk why lol i had the speakers for a little then got a good deal from a buddy on the 2 tweeters but HU wise i dont wanna upgrade now would rather use the money towards other things but if it dies then o well then i will upgrade lol but thatnks for the list for alt...im looking at ohio generator because i live in ohio im gonna call them in the morning and see what the price would be for a 250 amp alt for a 2005 saturn ion...this is prob dumb but would 2 batts from autozone be ok? or should i order offline?

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 70
now that i keep thinking about it idk if i could fit a ported box that big in my trunk because i want the box to be tuned perfect for the subs...right now i jus have the xos in a prefab sealed box

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13620
don't bother with VatoZone.
take a look at this one. 2 or 3 of these would work well for prolonged use of 2500+Kw of power from your SAZ2kD and an amp for the door speakers.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P?mv=rr

If you don't play to listen at full volume for prolonged periods, and just want it for some moderate listening while waiting in a parking lot or whatever with the engine off, one of those batteries should do fine on an isolator, with your stock starter battery.

If space in a Saturn is an issue, look at going with a single 15" ported SSD or BL, or maybe a single sealed 18" SSD

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 71
naw im always in my car and usually have the volume cranked u think if i got a 250 amp alt and 2 of those batteries one for the amp for subs and one for the amp for speakers...ill jus keep the battery i have in the car for the engine so id have 3 batts.....i dont think i could fit 2 15inch subs in the right box in my car im thinking a 18in BTL fullyloaded in a ported box off the SAZ2K would be good? i want this to be my final system ive been through alot of setups pissing away money and now i jus want to do it right so i feel i dont want to upgrade....its jus soo addicting i always want louder!

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 156
i think the sundown would be great, i have the saz-1200d off a re sx at 1 ohm and its pretty nice i know 2 15s in a huge box and all that power would be plenty loud for you man.
i would say pass on the alpine type r comps spend like 30 more and get the alpine type x comps, or just go with dls comps, the most expensive ones you can afford.
i know with autozone here locally its quite easy to talk them down in price esp if you were buying 2.
just my 2 cents

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 72
i just really dont think the box would fit in the my trunk but idk i think im gonna go to sears tomorrow and look for those batts i wanna get 2 one for subs and speakers

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 158
get some measurements of you trunk and you can figure the max size your box can be. i dont think you need a battery for your speakers though

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 403
Idk how much bigger your trunk would be than mine. Just to give you an example. This is my dd1515 in a 4.0cuft box in my dodge neon. I couldnt get anything bigger in there if i tried!lol
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13621
Carl, a BTL18 requires a ported box (no sealed) and it will need about 8 cubic feet. Do you have that much room? 2Kw is a good power soource for a BTL 18. You could even move up to the SAZ-3500D and be happy.

As for the batteries, please see the links (to my site) that I gave ya above. They explain sizing batteries and how to isolate audio batteries from the starter battery properly.
Two of the batteries I linked (the platinum diehard deep cycles which are the same battery as some big name audio batteries, with a different label) with bus bars will do the job on an isolator. Then you just run the 1/0 wire from alternator to audio batteries, and wire the amps right to the battery posts.

the BTL18 would need twice the box of the above pictured 15, for reference.

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 74
okk im gonna get some measurements tomorrow and ill post a pic tomorrow to. would it even be worth it to upgrade to one good 15 btl or 2 12 btls?

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 75
jus ordered about 25ft of tsunami 0/1 gauge wires...about to call ohio generator and may go out today and look at some batts at sears....im thinking since i prob cant do 2 15s or 1 18 i might jus go with 2 fully loaded btl 12s powered off the SAZ2k.

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 76
Upload
pos prefab seaed box lol....took some measurements 44w x 27l x 23h not exact but rough measurements

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 77
bump

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 78
helllo?

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 164
did you use night shade on those tail lights? i still haven't tried that stuff.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13670
did you ask something else?

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 79
ya i used night shade it came out awesome and took me like 30 min to do both tailights but ya u think 2 12 btls would fit in the trunk in a proper box?? i called ohio generator and had them give me a price on a 250 amp alt. but who on here u think could do a box for me?

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 408
Bassman3 would be the guy you need if you want a box made

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1095
since you are in cleveland, there could possibly be a cheaper alternative to having a box built. there is a guy on the AQ website that lives in Streeteboro, which isnt too far from you, that builds boxes. i dont know about the quality of work that he does or anything but im sure it would not hurt to shoot him an email or something and find out some information.
here is the link you would need if you wanted to look into that
http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=207

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 80
okk thanks ya streetsboro isnt to far from me i will def prob send an email i wanna get this box done right because i know box is key in having all that money spent on subs, amps, elec. etc...but ya i really think im gonna order the 250 amp alt. from Ohio Generator tomorrow but i still am clueless for batts idk what to get but sub and amp wise im set on the 2 12 BTLs fully loaded off the SAZ2000D in 1ohm...cant wait to get all these things put together lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1097
those subs are going to be begging for more power. im next to cleveland myself, ill have to check it out once you get it finished.

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 81
really where at? but ya imworried about underpowering them but im think maybe 2 of them but that means im gonna have to put the build off a little longer cause the $$ is already adding up quick lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1099
honestly with that amp, i would go with two bl's over two btl's. it would save you $180 as well.

also, i live in kent right now .

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 82
ya maybe 2 BLs would be better idk but u go to school at kent? i go down there alot with my friends a few go there. i lived in akron last year but not worth the $ ill just do communitity college lol

Bronze Member
Username: Ja205

Post Number: 56
for them tail lights just use black panti hos lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1103
no i go to school at bowling green but i just stay here with my girl over the summer

Bronze Member

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 83
ha naww they spray worked great! butt okk gotcha but called ohio generator and they said i couldnt get the 250 amp alt until prob the end of summer...wtf???

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14207
honestly with that amp, i would go with two bl's over two btl's. it would save you $180 as well.

x2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us