Question for glasswolf

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 191
Hey I have a 2006 extended cab Chevrolet silverado with a custom box under the backseat which holds a JL 12w3v2 on the driver side and a JL 500/5 amp on the passenger side ran with knukoncept wiring. For my speakers I have 6 3/4" B&C midrange speakers in the front doors and 4" B&C bullet tweeters in the back for highs and rear fill. I have a Alpine 9886 as well as an alpine ere-180 equalizer to control everything. I have a few questions. The head unit has an RCA cable running from the front preamp outputs to the EQ's input. Then the EQ has 3 sets of rcas running from it to my amp. What frequency should I set the crossover for the sub/speakers? How should I set everything up because the head unit itself has 2 eq settings and a high pass filter and im not sure if the Equalizer would override the head unit's settings? I am also not sure if the Equalizer itself would cancel out the crossovers on the amp. Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way the midrange's freq, response is 150-3,500 hz and the tweeters are 3,500-18,000 hz. Im not sure about the 12w3v2.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13536
1- I would set the HPF (full range) to 100Hz and LPF (sub) to 50Hz
2- ignore the head unit EQ and XO settings and turn them off. You're using your EQ for this function now.
3- the settings on the head unit applying to the front pre-out will affect the signal being sent to the EQ. The EQ settings will affect any signal sent to the amplifier(s), and any amplifier EQ settings will affect the signal going to the speakers.
If for example, you set a crossover frequency and slope on all 3 devices, the result sent to the speakers would be cumulative (and not good.) Pick one means of controlling the system (head unit, EQ, or amps) and turn all the rest of the filtering off on the other devices.

On a side note, I also would not have put the tweeters in the back. for rear fill, you use a midbass driver, time delayed, EQed, and L-R differenced for the signal, or don't use any rear fill at all. Putting tweeters behind you destroys any hope of a sound stage or decent imaging. The tweeters belong in the doors as close to the mids as possible.

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/index.html
Look at the "Speakers" section on that page, and read the sections on rear fill, SQ, Imaging, and Sound stage
Those pages will broaden your understanding of speaker placement
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us