Sealed box with Type - R 12 , 98 Nissan Sentra, Design help ?

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1604
Hey guy's what's up? It's been a long time since i been here.

Down to buissness,I have a Type - R it was bumping on a Hifonics Brutus 1200 rms at 2 ohm. More like 900-1000 rms since amp is overrated. Anyway it was put in my olds in a 2.2 cu foot ported box tuned to 37 Hz. Dave aka Driving Wreckless back in the day helped me blueprint it out. The car has since made it's way to the end of it's life. In abut 2 days I have my uncles 98 Nissan sentra arriving, I know the cars alot smaller and trunk space limited. I have since decided to go a sound quality route with a good thump. So here's the answers i need. How much smaller will sealed make my box? will i loose a ton of sound? with discounts at my new job i can get Kappa stuff at a quarter of the price so i'm going to put Kappa componet sets in the doors , i have a 300 rms Alpine amp I picked up about 2 months ago. I'm planning on going with my 600 rms Infinity Amp since my Hifonics will probably kill my Alt. Also my headunit is a Alpine CDA-9886, I'm also probably going to put in a 1 terayte Hdd but that's a whole other project. So what's your opinons , I have almost no budget, any recomendations?

Shout out to Paul L. Chadlee, G.I. Rob, Glass Wolf, Marc, Driving Wreckless and Brad Warren, Jack Skelington? think i spelled that right , cyptic name and all. Shout out to others as well. hope you guys are well.

Thanks for any help in advance.

bte i forgot to add i'm looking for high output from the woofer with out sucking up a ton of space.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 127
your going to lose some loudness definitely going sealed. Im sure that sub sounds pretty loud for being 1 12, im not really a big fan of the kappas way way way too bright for me, but thats just my opinion, i know plenty of people love them.
really no need to switch amps if you dont have a budget, just leave the gains turned down on the hifonics

if you dont want to lose the loudness of the bass you could just keep your box you have now, im sure 2.2 cu ft could easily fit in that trunk, you just might not have the most trunk space.
oh also im sure the max size for a sealed box would be like 1.25 or 1.5 cu ft at the most, and if you wanted you could get away with 1.0 cu ft, but honestly to me a type r is more of an spl sub, i just dont see them being used for a sq system, but if its what you have to work with im sure it will sound good, just not amazing

Silver Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 168
type r's dont sound amazing sealed. lose alot of output from ported to sealed but you will gain more control on the bottom end

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1607
Well I'm trying to go light, I can always save up for a sub, the sentra I'm sure could just barely fit the box. The thing is it's a much smaller car compared to my 93 olds mobile. I have 3 amps to work with that I own. I have a hifonics brutus series 1606d. If I remember correctly, I also have a infinity 600 Rms mono that's been barely used. Lastly I have my Alpine 300 rms stereo amp 4 channel, the previous amps are monos. Due to my job I can get the infinity comps for around 80, even a kappa sub I can get for 100 around. So those are duable, I can get alpine stuff too for half off or more so I'm open to suggestions, just a limited budget.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
well if the box is tuned around 32 you will have much more output on the bottom end than sealed.
honestly those kappa subs are amazing with sq and they have a very high sensitivity. i would say sell the type r and use a kappa if you are really after sq
that shouldnt cost you any money, it shouldnt be hard to sell a type r on craigslist for 100
just sell the sub itself and then try to sell the box for like 40 or so that would buy your kappa and materials to build a new box for it to specs

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16278
am i reading right here ?

a 12" type R is a spl sub ? - 1st time ever im hearing someone say that , its what ppl wud call a "sql" sub meaning good sq with good output

imho its surely not the best i have heard in a sealed box but it does sound pretty good

of course ported will be noticeably louder but u do get a flatter response with running it sealed which can be anywhere from 1-1.5cuft sealed which i agree with ...where as ported can be 32-34hz , 2-2.25cuft ported 12-14sq"\cuft of port is fine , u can use a 4" pipe or 4" aeroport to save on some space ...so basically u can figure out the measurements based on this

bang for buck is the main attraction of a type R ....

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1609
I rather go loud to a extent and clean, I want a good kick but across all ends. I listen to rock mostly but all kinds of oldies, 80's, stuff with a classical jazz feel similar to maroon 5, at the same time I'll listen to bass lined songs like sublime,fort minor,eminem and so on when the mood strikes. My porter had a high cut off rate at frequencies. Certain songs were so bad there was almost no bass output. Almost Anthony by knarls Barkley hadvno bass line. I just stopped listening to stuff like that I was so disgusted. My box I

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1610
Forgive typos iPod touches lovely spell correction

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
even though the kappas are rated around 350 rms it should be about the same as a type r, the type r would get a little bit louder but not much, but no way at all can compare sq wise to the kappa.
and honestly i dont think you were pushing 800-900 to it, when i had my type r 500 rms 1500 peak i had to be careful on the volume with 600 rms. i could smell the coils if i kept it up for long periods of time, and no clipping from the amp either.
if you were running that 4 channel and the mono amp you maybe were putting 600 to it.
the only bad thing about your hifonics is, it distorts very easily, thats why people say hifonics amps blow subs. Its not they blow amps, its just they are an economy type of amp and aren't built the best, so when someone doesnt understand how clipping works and cranks the volume and has the gains up its easy to blow the sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
if you do like the different genres i think your box was tuned too low and wasnt built to the t/s parameters of the sub, a higher tuned box like 40 hz would give you alot of output with rock, but the only thing with ported and trying to listen to kick drums is the sub overpowers that will the bass guitar.
im sure you will like a kappa much better than the type r
and if you do want to listen to the differen genres and still use a ported box a jl w3v3 would be a perfect sub for you, but they are about 150 brand new off ebay
with a jl in a ported box tuned higher 35 and up they don't make everything sound like 1 note which is honestly what you want, each bassline is well defined and sounds pretty accurate for the price

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
honestly rovin i would consider a type r more of an spl sub than a sql sub.
considering the price of a type r compared to other sq subs in the same price range s type r just cant compare.
but if your going to put them in a ported box the type r will be louder than the sq subs
and for the situation keith is in and what he wants to do with his stereo i would recommend he gets rid of the type r and gets something else.
of course it is his decision in the end of what to do, but i do have experience with the type r and many other subs including infinity's reference and kappa series subs and they will work much better for him
im no audiophile in bass, but i do have an ear for sq that most people do not have, im sure many of you on this forum do as well, as you all have spent many years listening to different set ups
compared to a person that doesnt have any experience and goes into a stereo shop and is looking to upgrade a stereo

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1611
I appericiate the input and have some exciting news about work.Last week or so we partnered with Kicker, so i picked up some KS series, S600, 6inch speakers for 40$ new, i was happy as hell. i plan to use them for rear fill. I found out i can get Kappa perfect 10 inch for $89.00 . I also have a crack at the whole kicker inventory, anyone use the kicker componet sets? what do you think? also i have a whole list of kicker subs dirt cheap. like I can get the 096qs652 componets normally 549.00 for 165.00 by kicker. I can also get kicker pre fab boxes with woofers in them. i got the new car today btw , i'm psyched , unfortounately the trunk s alot smaller then i though maybe 2 anda half cubic feet big or less is my best guess till i can measure. i been working nights, haven't had time. think i should maybe get 2 infinity bass links and call it quits?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1612
Also found out I can cash my Type - r in under it's warrenty for possibly store credit or at least another Type - r , if it's a new Type - r I can sell it for a better value since it will be brand new.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us