""EXTREME SQL"??

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 108
i saw shawn dooley chat this on another thread. someone smart please give me the difinition of "extreme sql". it just seems to me that this may be hard to define exactly... thx

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 13961
I would assume he meant really loud but still sounds good

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 667
Pretty much.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 109
i mean yea but... heres the thing. u can say and most fi subs are sql.... re sql.... a type r... type x... ascendant audio... really the list goes on and on etc. it just seems that theres a very BROAD usage of that term. its kinda annoying .. so whenever that word is used (since its used A LOT for all kinds of subs really) it kinda just doesnt mean that much ya know just kinda like in 1 ear out the other because like i said the term is used so broadly. im probably not the only one who thinks this. surely others agree...

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 110
also sql can mean something to one person... something else to another person ya know. so when one person hears its an "sql" sub maybe he/she will think o so its a spectacular sounding sub even at a greater output usage. Now,... another person may think its mediocre quality and mediocore output. and really i could go on and on about maybe what others may think. So i hope by now im getting my point across. its just not a good way to describe a sub imo at all really. when someone asks "what kinda sub is this?" and another responds "its an sql type sub"... its just like.. ok so what exactly are u saying be more specific. anyways, so yea..

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7669
sql is really a fake term

its either one or the other.. in other terms for them to be a division i would say built purpose sq, daily, spl

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 111
i mean i guess what im trying to say is basically the same for sq.. and spl as well so the only real way to identify a sub well is to compare it with others... imo thats definately the best way. cause all this sq spl and sql crap really just arent such great terms to use. does someone disagree?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13411
SQ is sound quality. That's a "flat" C or A weighted response curve set using 1/3 octave or parametric equalizers for a "natural" response from the system as per the environment you're in. This definition is better defined by sanctioning competition bodies like IASCA, USACi, and the like.

SPL is defined as maximum sound pressure level in an environment defined by your sanctioning competition body, and subsequent competition class. This measuement is done with a calibrated mic in a specified location of the car cabin, with a test tone, for a predetermined period of time for the "burp."

SQL isn't really a term at all. It's made up, and used by people to define a system that is loud, but not pure bass that drowns out everything else in the process of just trying to be loud and annoying to others. Many on-line communities and enthusiasts frown on the use of this term to relate to anything. If you want a loud car that sounds good, it's simply a well designed daily use system with high output. If you're after a specific SPL range (with the subs) then just say as much.

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13412
To further this, there is a movement called "SQRLL" (yeah I'm not making this up) which stands for "Sound Quality at Responsible Listening Levels."

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 112
rofl glassy, here u come with ur scientifically proven deifinitions yet again

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7670
almost everything can be defined/explained through science

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 918
Hard hitting bass with no extortion and perfect sq

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13420
I think he meant "distortion," and "clarity."

SQ would imply a perfectly flat soound curve, which is the polar opposite of heavy bass. A C-weighted curve actually sounds really.. well, flat. More like what you'd get from an old table top kitchen radio, to be honest. These curves are meant to compensate for human hearing deficiencies by cutting or boosting frequencies to make 20Hz-20KHz sound totally even across the spectrum for output. no peaky treble, no heavy bass.

I do know what you meant, though.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 115
pimp so ur saying that any sub that most would call "sql" is "hard""hitting bass with "no" extortion and "perfect" sq". that seems like a TERRIBLE definition man cause well, like i said before for one all of those could be thought of it different ways to different people and two that LOTS of subs are said to be "sql" as i mentioned before.. so basically now ur saying that most people are incorrect by defining a sub "sql" feel me?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 679
What I was meaning by extreme was an SQ type sub that can handle a lot of power, still maintain quality of sound, while being able to hit nice lows and get loud overall. Most SQ subs are 1k rms rated, like the 12 w7, Fi Q, etc. The Xcon is 1750 rms, so in theory its able to handle 75% more power than your average SQ woofer, making it a good choice if you're looking to get the most out of a SQ style subwoofer. So what I meant was, if a SQ sub is what you're looking for, that has the capabilities of not only reaching nice lows but also having potential of hitting nice SPL, the Xcon would be a prime choice. Given the enclsoure and power running to it were up to equal standards.

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13436
high power handling, high excursion (long throw), highly linear subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 58
Those w7s are pretty loud and High end SQ.

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13515
they're also very expensive. $450 for 12" and $800 or so for the 13.5? That's a lot to spend for a sub, and JL likes to configure the coils on the W7 so it's hard to get the right power output to the subs unless you use amps with a regulated output (read PG or JL slash series)

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 129
lol THE PRICE CHANGES UP 350????? DAMMMNNNN MAn thats crazy!

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 134
i think its actually around 600 brand new, and jl has their new versions that have normal wiring options, they got rid of all that 6 ohm and 3 ohm stuff

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 694
The w7s still come in the single 3 ohm or dual 1.5 for the 13 w7. It definitely has to be for a marketing stand point.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us