Will this sub/amp setup work?

Username: Culverrryo

Post Number: 1
I am new at this, I just got my first sub hooked up last month. I love it and I love the project that I realize I have started. So far I only have a Pioneer GM 5400T amp connected to an Infinity 1260w. Now I'm wondering if I can hook up two Kenwood KFC W2512s in parallel with it. From what I have read I think this will work, but as I'm new to this, I thought I'd make sure.

Thanks,

Culver

Post Number: 2
anyone? is this just a silly idea? if so let me know and I'll just use either just the 10s or just the 12.

Also, what settings should my amp be at? It cuts out when i go pretty loud, making me think I have the gain improperly set.

replies will be appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1054
from what i can tell those kenwoods are svc 4 ohm so what you would need to do is just hook each woofer up to one of the amps two channels.
they will be underpowered but it will definitely work

Bronze Member
Username: Rosrock

Post Number: 91
u must be more specific for help. ur second thread first sentence doesnt even close to match what ur first thread said.(not trying to be an a hole). please tell us what subs u have, what ohm load they are at, and to which amp/amps they are connected to. Do not use bass boost and put ur amp gain to half or less to be safe for now so u dont blow something. Also what gauge wire is ur amp kit? are u subs ported(if so is it a store made box or custom and if custom whats the specs of it)... or sealed etc. more info the better man these guys can certainly help ya,

Post Number: 3
Sorry, the infinity is a 12" and the kenwoods are 10"s. They are all 4 ohms. Im wondering if I could hook all three up to one amp (Pioneer GM 5400T 760 watt), or if that is retarded and I should just stick to either the two 10s or the one 12. All three boxes are sealed, and I am using an 8 gauge wire kit.

Like I said, I am new at this and am still learning the basics, so if hooking up 3 subs to this one amp is stupid then please let me know!

Post Number: 4
At the moment I just have the Pioneer amp connected to the infinity 12". I have one 10" Kenwood and plan to order another if this would be a decent setup, or else go a different direction if this isn't a good idea.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
kenwoods blow.. and others here will agree. do not order another one.. and u should prolly sell the first 10 u bought as well and go with another setup as kenwood is pretty mediocre at BEST. NEVER HOOK UP DIFFERENT TYPES OF SUBS IN 1 SYSTEM! not good! please tell us ur budget and ur goal and we can hook u up fat.

Post Number: 6
Alright cool, thanks for the heads up. I don't exactly have a current budget, I'm just going to buy pieces as I get paid. I'm in a crappy 93 Honda Accord worth about 400 dollars, so until I get a new car I'm not trying to spend more than about 200 maybe 300 more. I know it's not much, I'm just trying to get some decent/loud sound to hold me off until I can sell my pos and upgrade. Maybe the best idea in this case would be to just keep my setup how it is (amp and 12" sub only) and not waste money on bad products so I can buy that car faster.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
ur pioneer amp does 380 rms (i noticed u gave us its max watts.. those dont matter not even one bit) at 4 ohms. so ur gonna need 2 dual voice coil 4 ohm subs (they can connect together for a total 4 ohm load) OR you can get 2 8 ohm subs to go down to a 4 ohm total. so since ur amp does about 400 rms your gonna wanna get a sub or subs that total around that. aRE U LOOKing to get a loud setup(spl) without much care for sound quality OR do u just want mainling good sounding subs OR do u want a little of both worlds. Whats ur budget

Post Number: 7
Aiming for a little of both SPL and SQ, but not trying to spend more than 2-300 before dedicating my paycheck to saving for a new car.

Gotta go to work, but I'll check back here when I'm off. Thanks for all your input boss

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
uyea... id say just wait until you can get a higher budget, and get that new car cause. 200 bucks really u cant do much with that in car audio, ya know. if u wanna get hooked up and get decently "loud"and good sq ur gonna really wanna get at least 450-500 bucks.. aka ur gonna need a new amp(cause that amp is pretty weak really), new subs/sub, and a sub box. also not sure if u have a 4 gauge kit or 8 gauge amp kit in ur car.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 383
Dont waste your money.Kenwood subs arent any good.Imo,i would just use what you have hooked up now. Save up the money for your car,then buy something quality for your new ride.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 923
Bro someone hook him up to get his sh*t straight. And yea bro kenwoods blow but hey brother they get the job done and make noise enough to satisfy you and thats all that matters. You have to understand most of the guys on here are very intelligent serious audio enthusiast and aren't trying to be as*holes but are just speaking the facts. Hope u get what u need. Welcome

Peace

Post Number: 8
Thanks a lot guys, I think I'm going to save up for a new ride and keep checkin out this forum so I can learn more for when I am hooking up a new system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us