Fi q 12 options??

Bronze Member
Username: Rosrock

Post Number: 66
ill be buying an nfi q 12 on wednesday when i get my paycheck. I looked on the site and see theres a few different options.. some are kinda pricy and im wondering if they are actually neccassary. ill be powering it with a directed 1500d(1200 at 1 ohm). so i see theres a heat ring option(25 bucks).. spider 5..high qts..pchamfer and a cooling option(30 bucks). now the box i had made was 2.5 cu ft at 30 hz. so which otpions should i get? i dont wanna have to spend the 25 and 30 if i dont have to. but can probably buy the spider(no clue what that is) if u guys reccoemnd it. any help much appreciated thx

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 60
I'de recomend all options imo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
that really doesnt help me not even one bit but thx anyways

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 62
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154be8abe445684/shopdata/0070 _Tech/0070_Speakers/0030_Tech.Q/product_overview.shopscript

go there read what the options do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
link doesnt work

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
ok i found that thread on the fi ssl forum after some quick searching, thx for ur time

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16239
from their site : ...

Fi: >>> Tech >>> Speakers >>> Tech.Q

Tech.Q

Available options and what they do: 

Cooling: The 2010 Q now features a solid pole piece that allows the addition of the Helicool cooling system that will allow an additional 200-500 watts of power handling depending upon install and scenario. Bottom line this option increases thermal power handling capacity over a "Stock" Q. 

P Chamfer: This is a chamfer on the end of the pole, it helps to bring the air down around inside of the motor and helps cool the coil better. It also helps relieve the pressure underneath the dustcap. Please note if you select "Cooling" this option is included in the cooling package.

High QTS: This option is for users who intend on using the new Q series woofers in only a sealed enclosure.

Spider: This option adds an additional spider to the spider pack to help with mechanical power handling and keeping the moving assembly under control.

I Heat Ring: This option is a machined aluminum ring in the gap that lowers the inductance of the voice coil which allows it to play up a little higher in the frequency range and have better overall transient response. Please note that you can NOT select low Qts and the I Heat Ring options together. 

Past Q options: The 2009 and earlier Q series woofers allowed for a "BP" option which was a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also added 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack. All of these features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application. We no longer offer this option with the 2010 Q series woofers. This is simply for reference for people who want to know what past options were offered. 

Enclosures: Q 10 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .2-.6 cubic feet of volume (after all displacements for those wondering).
For ported boxes we recommend using .5-1.2 cubic feet from 28-33Hz tuning with 12-16 square inches of vent per cuft of enclosure. 

Q 12 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of .8-1.5 cubic feet of volume.
Ported box we recommend using 1.8-2.5 cubic feet @ 28-33Hz (I personally think that a 32hz tuning is optimal, and has the most output and is still the most musical daily driving). Use 12-16 square inches of vent area per cubic foot of volume.

Q 15 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of 2-2.6 cubic feet of volume.
Ported box we recommend using 2.8-4 cubic feet @ 28-33Hz. Again use 12-16 square inches of vent area per cubic foot of volume.

Q 18 -- We recommend using a sealed box in the neighborhood of 4-8 cubic feet of volume.
Ported box we recommend using 6-10 cubic feet @ 28hz tuning, you can tune a little higher if you wish but we recommend keeping it under 32hz. Again the same 12-16 square inches of volume applies per cubic foot of volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
so if im running 1200 to it ill prolly just get the spider and p chamfer i guess and that should be more than enough right?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13358
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154bc95a4ac77e7/s hopdata/0070_Tech/0070_Speakers/0030_Tech.Q/product_overview.shopscript
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us