Need some advice please

Username: Jhill247

Post Number: 1
I've read over some posts but since everything varies so much, and I'm sure my lack of understanding to boot, I couldn't quite find the answers I'm looking for. I'm putting together my first system, and doing so on a bit of a budget. No set figure really, but all in all it looks like I'll end around $800ish (w/install). I'm driving a 99 Mercedes C230 (no Bose).

So far I have some after market speakers purchased a few years ago from Al and Eds, a 4 channel Infinity Reference 475a, and a mono Infinity Reference 1600a. Honestly, I don't remember the speaker brand, but I've yet to test them with a decent head unit or amp so before replacing them I will give them a shot.

I feel pretty confident about the head unit I've decided on - the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 seems to have all good reviews, but I'm not completely sure about buying from a "non-authorized" dealer. For a $70 difference from Ebay to Crutchfield the choice seems obvious to me, as defects aren't THAT common...are they? Same for subs? Will adding my old 12 disc mp3 JVC changer be a problem (assuming it's worth keeping attached - I'm not against removing it if the concensus is it's not necessary/takes up space the box should be in).

So my biggest area of contention...the subs. I listen to mostly rock - 90% - with some techno and a little hip hop. I'm under the impression 2 10s will suit my needs well, but I'm not certain which ones. I'm leaning towards JL Audio 10W0v2-4 - about $80 each on Ebay, all the way to Infinity Kappa 100.9W - about $130 each. $130 each is about the max I'd like to spend. I don't know too much about brands, but JL and Inf Kappas both seem to have a lot of respect so I'm leaning towards something from either of those 2. For these two examples, would I really notice the difference between the two? And on that note, will I even notice a difference dropping either into a premade (and much cheaper than custom) box?

As my mono amp is only 600w, will my sound suffer if I purchase subs that require more watts? Down the line I may be willing to buy another amp, add upgrades, etc etc, but right now I'm just trying to get this done as cost/sound efficiently as possible.

Thanks for reading!

/endwall

--Also, just heard back from Zenclosures and there's no C230 box for me
--Added trunk pics for reference

UploadUpload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums