Need some help please!

Username: Justgotthelz

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone Im new here! I just got my license a few weeks ago and I want some subs lol. I honestly dont know what i want. I know that I do want a mix of sound quality and for it to be loud when i want it to. Ive been looking through some brands and reading up a little. Ive come a conclusion of either Fi, RE, or AudioQue in a 15 inch or 12 inch. What would you recommend to me? Also what amps and head units are decent? And by the way this will all be going into an 04 Ford Taurus (if it makes a difference) Thanks in advance for your help... Oh and one more thing try not to use very sophisticated words lol. Like I said I dont know much about stereos.

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 55
What is your price range for the whole set up?

Post Number: 2
I dont exactly have a price range I just want ideas for right now

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 56
I just put a fully loaded Fi SSD into my car and i am pretty pleased with it, You might want to get (on tigher budget) a Hyphonics Brutis 1000w amp, RD audio,Kicker, Sundown if you have the $$, As for a Hu i dont know anything about good head units so someone else might want to take over. I am pleased with how loud it gets on my stock alternator, are you planning to do electrical upgrades at all? (high output alternator)

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 423
congratz on the license dude, i remember when i got my first car god i miss my jeep. i ended up with 4 12's and some nice componets, a pioneer head unit << i recommend its a great head unit. sundown makes great amps. an FI Q 15" or maybe FI ssd 12"s for a sub amp maby a saz-1500D or saz-3000D new or used <<both sundown. or an aq-1200D or 2200D, all great choices if you get the 3000D or the 2200D run it at 2 ohms. you will need some good 1/0 ga wire ether knu or shock make great wire. think knu has a great wireing kit witch would be more of what you need. two or 3 sets of rca's they dont need to be expencive just dont uber cheep out ($2.00). a good custom box weather you make it or have some one make it. any thing i missed some one else will pick up and we are all willing to help as much as u need. welcome to the forums sorry for my spelling you get use to it.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 424
oh yes big 3 would be a good idea as well.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13322
My suggestion is that you first get comfortable behind the wheel of a car, before you start putting in a loud stereo system, annoying the neighbors, and getting distracted trying to change CDs or radio stations, and end up wrapping your car around a tree or a pedestrian.

Just a thought.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2227
^ this.
Too many young guys getting in accidents trying to impress someone. Or just being irritating/irresponsible.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 57
Dang youngens

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 425
he could be 18.... maybe?

i started driving at 13 and drove other things before that so i have all ways been use to driving my only axadents are in reverse in my dads truck when i was 16 and he had only had it for 2 weeks and the rest is speeding tickets and some deer.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 634
There's also a very high chance you wreck your first car. I was in my first car driving down a 25 mph dense residential street heading to school and this 90 some (seriously) y/o guy ran a stop sign going like 45 mph and slammed into the passenger side of me, spinning me around and into a tree. Just like that my first car was done for. Getting your first system I wouldn't go too crazy until you get a feel for the car and plus learn a little more about audio in general. Upgrade over time as you feel comfortable with both.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the recommendations guys! And I totally agree with getting comfortable first. But like I said I just want some ideas, so I can look forward to something. This isnt going in next week. I probably wont do anything for about a year or so. Thats why right now I would like to gain a lot of knowledge on car audio, and I believe this is a good place to start. And by the way I am 16 for all of you who were calling me youngens hahaha you are right!

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13333
consider an Fi SSD 12" in a ported enclosure tuned to 28Hz, slot vented.
Audioque AQ1200D is $250, and if you go dual 2 ohm coils with the SSD you get all 1200W to the sub.

that'll be plenty

Post Number: 4
thanks glass wolf. any recommendations on head units?

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 134
what are you wanting to do with the head unit? what features are you looking for? get one that's i-pod ready, with 3 sets of 4volt pre-amp outputs, (one front, one rear, and one for subwoofer control) and if you want bluetooth and what not.

i think im about to upgrade to either the alpine cda-117 or the kenwood kdc-x994 either one of those would be sweeet.

Post Number: 5
No screens or anything like that my bro said that alpine makes decent head units? I was thinking of either an alpine or a pioneer premier?

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13344
I'm fairly fond of
Alpine
Pioneer
JVC Arsenal and El Kameleon had units
Clarion Pro Audio
and Panasonic

Those are good places to start. I'd say Eclipse, but I've been informed that they are pulling out of the US market.

Post Number: 6
Any particular models you'd recommend getting?

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13350
the ones that fit the features you need within the budget you can afford.

Personally I'm using a Pioneer DEX-P99RS and I like it.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Stage4/CD-Players/ DEX-P99RS

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 654
Does that deck show you your car's voltage?

Post Number: 7
yeah that head units pretty sick i dont think i could afford that though haha

Bronze Member
Username: Bloodforge

Post Number: 53
Sorry not trying to hijack, just noticed something glasswolf had mentioned and wanted to investigate further

Hey Glasswolf, noticed you specifically mentioned the El Kameleon head units up top there, they fairly descent? found a factory refurb of the model 44 version for 229, was contimplating picking it up since i'm not really looking for a huge screen since I don't do movies much but an occasional use. Would be replacing my excelon 993, which is descent but user interface is horrible.

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13353
I have an EQ that displays the voltage, but a DMM is more accurate for this, or just get a capacitor with a voltage display on it. that works, too.. and you can impress all of your friends with your fancy new capacitor! heh

I have a first gen el kameleon that I used in my older Jeep (the 94 ZJ) for a while. I love the thing. I believe it's 2V preouts, but the features and sound from it were surprisingly nice. I kept the unit as a bench testing source. I like em.

Post Number: 8
i just thought of a question... this may sound dumb but how do you tune a box? is there some kind of formula or something? does it have to be a certain volume? and i know a port has a lot to do with it. but how do you know to make it x big to get x hz?

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13362
with a ported box, the port is tuned to a specific frequency, where the box is most sensitive, or has the highest gain or efficiency. This is done by adjusting the cross sectional area of the port (diameter and length if its a round port, or LxWxD of a slotted port) based on the volume of the box, so yes it's box volume, and port LxWxD.

here are the formulas:
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/ported1.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us