Xcon setup decisions decisions

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 32
Still deciding on what setup i want.. Haven't thought of these other possibilities til now..
1. 2 12" xcons, 4.6 - 5.0 cubes ported box, 3000 rms.
2. 1 15" xcon, 5.0 cubes ported box, 1500-2000 rms.
3. 1 18" xcon, 5.2 cubes ported box, 1500-2000 rms.

Which will sound louder, SPL .?
Which will sound better, SQ .?
Which will be the best for both, SQL.?

Going into a 2002 Chevy malibu. Backseat doesn't fold down. Will be venting the rear deck no matter what setup and making a small ski-pass in the seat. All dynamatted. 300A amp alt, upgraded front battery and battery in the back. Sub or sub(s) will be facing into the cabin and trunk sealed off. 1/0 gauge wiring. Big 3 upgrade, of course. Any advice will help. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 620
The one 18 may get you the most SPL. 2 12's would probably do just fine though, especially on 3k rms. Either way its going to be plenty loud and still sound awesome. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
yea i'm not sure which to do because the single 18 would be cheaper than 2 12's.. and 3000 would be easier than the 1750 or 2000.. What is the most rms these subs should be given? Not the MOST MOST but like how much for them to still sound really good and be louder than just the 1750 rms they require? Also would the 18 be cool in a box thats as little as 4.8 cubes? i'm leaning towards just sticking with the 12's but not positive.. Anybody else feedback please

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11878
Well let's look at a few things first.

You ask which will be louder and which will be better for SQ and which will be better for SQL, which are you going for?

First off you should figure out what exactly you are looking for in this set up, because to me, it sounds like you aren't sure.

For one thing, typically speaking, 2000-3000rms and SQ don't usually mix.

Another thing, how big of a box can you fit back there? Have you taken exact measurements of both the inside of the trunk AND the opening of the trunk to ensure you truly can fit an 18" back there because it's possible you could eliminate that right there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
I forsure know that i want a SQL setup.. And i've posted other forums asking if like 3000-3500 were just too much for SQ daily setups.. I haven't taken exact measurements of the trunk but i have taken measurements and brought the dimensions down some to just be sure of how big a box i can fit.. My measurements were L36xW24xH18 so yea i guess an 18 just wouldn't fit huh.. i know it's going to be loud but i'm just trying to get the MOST possible SQ out of it.. And i know ported, if done right, can sound just as good as a sealed. And i know someone who can make that happen. Should i jus get a large sealed box tho for better sq?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 623
If you have the front stage to match the extreme loudness of a 3k+ daily system then you'll be ok. You're going to be getting a lot out of those subs so if you don't have something nice up front you're not going to be able to hear your highs and mids well enough which is going to kill imaging for a good SQ set up. You may be ok going sealed with that much power. To get the most SQL out of those subs, ported would be a better choice. Just be sure the box is built to spec and is tuned to the low end, like around 32 Hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us