Differnt choice of subwoofers

Username: Hjbomega

Post Number: 2
I plan on re doing my system this summer and would just like some input on what sub to go with. Over the past couple year i have owned numerous subs and i was never really satisfied fully but the closest i came to being fully satisfied was a 15 L7 with that setup i did 146 db and i like how loud it got, but i had a failure with that sub and after everything iv read i want to stay away from squares. The sub will be going in a 92 saturn sc with not alot of trunk space, there were a couple subs that i was interested in but its too hard for me to make the decision, so i would like as much input as possible, also i really dont want to spend over 300 for the sub(ebay prices). The amp ill buy will be tailored to the sub i pick.
What i want is a sub that will get moderatly loud while maintaining very good sq. Also im looking more towards a single sub setup. From what iv read adding another sub, doesnt result in that much db gain.
I was looking at the 12 or 15 where applicable

Soundstream t5
Kicker cvx
Alpine type x
dc audio lvl 3, 4
Fi bl, q
re SE-x
Ma audio hk
Eclipse Aluminum
db drive plw, k9

All listed top to bottom from what id most likely want due to price/ output.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, and any suggestions as well. And if anyone wanted to know for speakers im running infinity kappas 6.5, i upgraded from kicker ds series and the speakers will be running off of a kicker 350.4. so i pretty much want enough bass, to exceed or match the output of the spreakers.
And with suggestions can i get the avg prices as well

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7646
from that list.. fi q

Post Number: 3
k, can you tell me why or some advantages or dis advantages of the other subs. Also is there a thread that discusses the differences for the options for the fi series of subs.

Post Number: 4
someone please help me

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13280
You liked the S15L7. You want it loud.
Forget the Fi Q. You want the Fi BTL 15"
www.ficaraudio.com
It's an all out SPL sub. Feed it about 2500 watts RMS, and have the electrical system to back it up. Build a large ported box for the BTL, and tune it for 28Hz if you want it for music, and tune higher if you want it for SPL/burps.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13281
Fi BTL options explained:
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154be1147ea7bef/s hopdata/0070_Tech/0070_Speakers/0010_Tech.BTL/product_overview.shopscript

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5725
^^ Agree, as usual.

Just an aside to GlassWolf, thanks for coming back man, and happy to see that you are doing ok. You are the best thing that has happened to this site in the last year, easily. Makes it easier on me too, because I am very busy, and now I don't feel such an obligation to come here as much to help the people that ask good questions and deserve some honest and accurate advice. Because let's face it, anyone that knows E, knows that a good portion of what is doled out as so-called advice, is questionable at best.

So, if it hasn't been implied or said straight up elsewhere already -- thank you sir, you rock

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16218
id also agree with what GW said but since the guy said he doesnt want to go over $300 so in that price range a audioque HDC3 might be his best bet ...

http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=24

Post Number: 5
wht would be the best box to build or buy for that sub, for those that have experience with it, how does it hold in the sq/ spl area, i have no way of actually hearing the sub. would you guys recomend a sealed box

Post Number: 7
@rovin, i used to live in trinidad, i lived ther for 5 yrs

Post Number: 8
So the fi q wont get nearly as loud the the 15 inch l7?......as a side note i never gave it full rms, the amp was a 900 watt rms sony amp and was turned up to about 3/4 only once or twice, because it overpowered the rest of my music, this time around i want to be able to get more sq than anything but still get loud =\. And how does the btl compare to the q, i have never heard either of the subs.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13291
Oh the Fi would be louder than the L7 I'd dare to say. It's about $400 though for the BTL, which I forgot.
Look at the Fi BL (a 15" is $294.) and put this in a 4 cubic foot box, and use a slot port tuned to 28Hz. It'll hit really deep, and with about 1500 watts RMS, it'll blow your doors off. You'll like it, and it'll sound much better than the Kicker, as it's motor control is far, far superior (BL curve) by comparison.

The the box, I'd use 3/4" MDF or birch plywood, and double up the face of the box (1.5") where the sub is mounted to support it's weight, and stiffen the box. I'd also brace the box internally at least in the corners to reduce flex in the wood, and reduce coloration this will cause.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154be18a3e25d5a/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0020_BL/product_overview.shopscript

go here. scroll down to the BL15.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13292
Thank you, Brad.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16220
[ @rovin, i used to live in trinidad, i lived ther for 5 yrs ]

cool man - im guessing u were either born here & left at a early age , or u were here for a job\contract ?

each fi sub is explained in their tech section

the Q is said to be their sound quality sub

the BL series is for more upper notes higher freq bass aka "street bass"

the BTL is simply their monster that gets LOUD yet still has good SQ , its starting from $385 without any special options ...i wud pick it over the audioque sub but u have to determine ur final budget

there is more tojust buying a powerful sub though , u will need to upgrade ur battery & get a high output alt installed too , so if u choose that route then set $ aside for that upgrade as well

u can also save some $ by going the Fi SSD 800wrms way & hopefully that will be loud enough for u ....

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13294
from the Fi website

"The BL Series fills the gap between the all out SPL monster and a solid daily driver. Featuring a chamfered solid pole piece and standard double stack motor structure with 8.660" magnets as the foundation for a truly tough subwoofer, you can choose from a variety of options to custom tailor the sub for your exact application. With the addition of the hyper chamfer, or our patent pending heli-cooling channels along with the Daily option, you can bump up the subs thermal capacity for long term daily driving abuse. Looking for an ultra tough SPL sub? Choose the SPL option, the extreme lead wire, one of the 8 layer aluminum flatwind voicecoils, add power, and let it rip. With head cracking upper bass and brutal low end, the BL handles the extremes with ease."

just for reference

Post Number: 9
honestly 4 cubes is more than id want to do, i would rather do 2-3 so the btl is def gnna go out the window,as for the q do you think i could get in the 140db range in a sealed box, or is that too much to ask for. also how would the bl 12 compare to the 15? cause the space requirements would be alot easier to meet
Would the amt of gain of going for a bl over a q outweight the loss in quality?

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 372
Just a few suggestions if u wanted to stick with a 15. SSA icon or incriminator audio death row series are around 300 and have recommended enclosures around 3 cubes

Post Number: 10
im about to pick up a kicker 2500 for cheap and use that to push the sub i get....most likely the q or the bl
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us