System Help

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 22
Okay so I have a few questions... I'm set on going with 2 12" ssa xcons in a custom ported enclosure. Is 5 cubic feet going to be enough?? Or should I go sealed? Should I go with a 250 or 300 amp alt or what alt would be good for this setup? It's going in a 2002 chevy malibu. If I get an alternator that big would I sill need an extra battery in the trunk? I haven't gotten an amp yet. Was looking into the autotek mm4000.1 and audiopipe aqx3500.1 ... Would either of these amps be a good enough match ? If not any recommendations

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
My budget is $600 for the one amp.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 412
i would say if you are running 3000 watts+ rms then grab the second batt and if you are running at 1 ohm maybe 2 or upgrade the one up front to compensate for the lag in the alt's response time. for the amp eather AQ3500D.1 $749 each shipped or a used saz-3000D or saz-3500D if you really want that much power. also you will need to do one or two runs of 1/0 gage wire from the front batt to the rear one and for both pos and neg, the welds on an auto body frame are only good for about 1500 watts.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 604
I'd recommend saving up extra money and getting a quality amp like the Sundown recommended. It'll be well worth it and much better than an Audiopipe. Nice choice on the subs though. Ported will be the way to go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
yea i think i'm going to save a little more and go with the sundown. But would a 5 cubic ft box be too small for these subs?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13258
2.0-2.2 cu ft per sub plus port and driver displacement is fine for a 12"

for this much power, you want the 300A alternator, given the choice. You'll also want a 300A battery isolator, and a deep cycle battery for the audio system in back. Do the 'big 3' as well, and run everything with 1/0g wire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I just want to know if running 2500 rms on these two subs would be bad? To say I didn't have enough to save for the saz-3500, could i find a great 2500 rms amp to push these or should i REALLY just wait and save upppp for the saz-3500? or maybe go a little cheaper with a saz-3000..

thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
anyone???

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13278
increasing power is the worst way to make a speaker louder. double the power is only an increase of +3dB
double the volume means ten times the power required. Going from 3000 to 3500 watts will barely be noticed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
that's exactly what i was thinking.. I'm going to just go with the 3000 maybe even something a little less expensive because i'm starting to think i don't need 3500 rms anymore. My last system was 1000 rms amp and i'm sure i wasn't pushing that much. So 2500 or 3000 with these very efficient subs, IMO will be enough for me. Agreed glass?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13282
with the right box, absolutely.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Ok so should i go ported or sealed though? 5 cubes.. I mainly listen to rap, some r&b .. If i go sealed i know it's still going to be very loud off of this much watts right, because i do want it to have more sound quality than spl. But the guy that i'm going to have customize the box is very confident in his skills and suggests the ported can be just as good quality and louder. Suggestion?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13285
Ported works very well in cars. Go ported and ask him to tune the box low, at 28Hz.
You'll get great, deep resonant bass, and by the time the box and IFS roll off, you'll be below 20Hz and human hearing limits, anyway, so it should hit just as low as a sealed box, really.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
He suggested tuning it between 30-35 ... But Okay i'm going to go with you on this one. That's all the help i need, for now. Thanks a lot!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5723
Is this Driz?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
No.lol

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5726
Ok, cool man -- we just have a guy named Andrizzle aka Driz that hasn't been around much lately, and I saw the "Allthingsfresh" name and just ran with it. Welcome to E.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Ok all good man.. and thanks

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13295
30, 28.. pretty close.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts