Subwoofer/RCA cable and adapter help?

Username: Adidasf50soccer

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. So ive currently got a stock head unit in my 2005 Jeep Liberty. Im buying this guy's subwoofer off him, and I also want to replace my head unit (stereo) because it has no RCA/AUX inputs or outputs. How and where can i find an aftermarket radio that has the RCA that i need to hook it up to the sub, and what kind of wires/adapters do i need to use to make the sub work in the back of my car?
Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to car audio, i usually only mess with exterior and parts of the motor :P thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8001
Most aftermarket Hu's have RCA output, so you will be fine there.
For that vehicle, you will need:

Metra 99-6503 dash kit for single din HU
Metra 70-6502 wire harness for HU
Metra 40-CR10 Chrysler antenna adapter for HU
amp kit for amp, 8ga for up to ~5-600wrms, 4ga for up to 1200-1400wrms. Most amp kits will come with RCA's, fuse holder, power wire, ground wire, and remote wire. A couple feet of 14ga speaker wire will do for up to 1500wrms from the sub to amp.

That should have you up and running.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5104
Basically any aftermarket stereo that has a set of RCA-pre outs will work...it's almost impossible not to get an aftermarket stereo without them, really. The more pre-outs, the better. It would be best if you had one pre-out just for the sub as well.

Also, you'll need an amplifier to power the subwoofer.

Check this video out: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_movie.html

There are a few things I don't agree with in the vid, but you'll get the basic idea.

Username: Adidasf50soccer

Post Number: 2
is an amp required to power it, or is it optional?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13180
Honestly?

Keep the factory radio.

Google for the "PAC OEM1 for Jeeps" (your year)
This is an adapter with a T-harness on one side that plugs into your factory stereo behind the head unit, and has 2 pair of RCA outputs on the other side.
This allows you to connect amplifiers to your factory stereo to add subs. (I'm using one in my own jeep at present)

Then you'll need a mono class D subwoofer amplifier, an amp wiring kit, the subwoofer you plan to buy, and a box for the sub.

The amp wiring kit has a power line with inline fuse, a ground wire, and a set of RCA lines with remote trigger wire.

You connect the RCA lines and remote trigger to the PAC OEM1, then tuck them under carpet etc to where the amp is located.
You'll install the amp and connect the RCA and trigger lines, then run the speaker wires from teh amp to the sub box, wehre you'll connect the box with the sub in it.

I'd go with a ported box for the sub. Get a box tuned to about 28Hz. (The tuning is determined by the length and diameter of the port tube or slot, based on the volume of the box.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us