Too Good to be True? Thinking It's Just a Craigslist Scam...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5099
I was going through craigslist and came upon this:
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/pts/1702306237.html

Apparently the guy is selling 2 JL 12" w7s and 2 JL 1000.1s for $725 shipped. Amps and subs are only 4 months old, and one has a custom-built box. He claims that since he works at UPS, shipping will be free if you don't live in NC.

A few problems with the ad:
1. the price is really really good, almost too good.
2. Why is it appearing in Salt Lake City's craigslist if he lives in NC?
3. I don't think you're going to get free shipping with bulky items that weigh around 30lbs, whether you work for UPS or not.
4. I emailed him and he will only accept Western Union, claiming that he lost $2k with Paypal.
5. If they 'gotta go fast' then why haven't they sold yet? They've been posted since April 20 and he didn't want to work out a form of payment besides Western Union when I emailed him.

Maybe this is just me being pessimistic, but it seems like he could pull this scheme off a few times, then just disappear.

This is somewhat unique because I haven't seen a scam like this with used equipment. With most scams I've seen, the seller usually tries to claim the items are brand new in order to make the most money possible.

Any other thoughts? At this point I'm not taking the risk.

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 35
I would agree with you, i wouldn't buy it. The only way you can lose money on paypal is if you don't have the tracking number, and someone files a clame that you lost the number to put it in. ( from a sellers stand point) or else he was just an idiot and gave the wrong description. Finagle your way into getting him to think your going to pick them up with a where do you live ohh "my cousin is in the area and can pick them up " and see what he says to that. But i know where your comming from that does seem pretty sketchy.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22713
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER deal with Craigslist ads that promote shipping of any product! Craigslist is for local transactions only. They post this right on their homepage on how to avoid scams.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Deals that seem too good to be true are usually that. Never trust anyone who needs the money sent via Western Union, Propay or some other form of electronic payment that seems sketchy. I've seen it many times with scammers selling out of state.

I saw an ad for an RV that was just a fantastic deal. I was in the market for one. I'm in NJ and he was in Chicago. For his price I was even willing to drive out there and pick up myself. Then he stated he was in the Army and was leaving the next day or two and "needed" this transaction done today. He had pics and all. He even offered free shipping once payment cleared. I responded stating that my brother lives in Chicago and would love to stop by to inspect the camper. No dice. He demanded immediate payment or the deal was off. MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY!!!

Why would ANY honest seller refuse inspection? Because the product doesn't exist. Bottom line is if you can't see it with your own eyes run. Offers to ship products is HIGHLY regarded as fraudulent ads by CL.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5103
Mm. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Wanted to confirm this. I sent him another email for fun saying I would pay $1k using paypal and he still denied it, saying he wants Western Union. :P

Also found out he needs an I.D. if accepting a payment over $1k and this is probably too much for him--creating a fake I.D. and having a pic that could possibly identify him.

Flagged it as spam.

I hope this helps members here avoid craigslist scams in the future.

By the way, good to see you're still around, Paul. I don't recall seeing you too often in the Car Audio forum back in the day. You always seemed like a home audio guy.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 38
Hey just wanted to chime in and help. I work for UPS. Employees dont get free shipping by any means. We recieve NO discount on shipping. Therefore that is definately a false statement. Alot of times "according to police" people will post stolen items in a diff region and offer "free" shipping so that no matter what, they are getting 100% profit. making the purchaser think "i dont even have to leave my house... this is nice" Hope i could help. If u run into a ups driver.. feel free to ask about theyre "free shipping as an employee" they will let u know it doesnt exist.

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1183
I emailed him saying that i had a brother in Bishop NC and asked if i can get his number and my brother will call him to arrange pick up. he emailed me back right away asking where bishop was and i told him it was about 15-20 min from Wilmington NC and he hasnt got back to me. And my guess is hes not planning on getting back to me lol.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5277
I seen a ad 4 a 2007 Bmw M3 4 2.5K BB is over 15k ;)

Bronze Member
Username: 410inchl7s

BROOKLYN , NEW YORK NEW...

Post Number: 92
i jus bought everything from him --great guy--hes from nigeria an i sent him the money and hes gonna ship it tomorrow for me

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1042
i seriously hope you are kidding
otherwise you are a hopeless idiot

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
lol
i am kidding was a joke

Gold Member

Post Number: 1044
oh thank god

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
lol i nnevrer buy anything from craigslist unless i know i can beat the guy up lol

Bronze Member
Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 41
How do u determine u have that ability through a listing and/or phone call?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22719
Lol, thanks Jexx. Yeah I started my life here in the home audio section but quickly moved on, for.........various reasons. Not my first account either but that's a different story lol.

I've always been around, just not so much in any one place here on E. I'm kinda like E's "Diamond member" wanderer lol.

P.S. Once you wire any $$ to someone, it's GONE that instant. That's why they require it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
i have super powers--<---->>blankman<<<<

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
i wonder if everyone on this forum is a genius??
wow ur intelligence is superior to any man-u mus be rainman
now time to watch wheel of fortune

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22720
***Beer burp*** What?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22721
I wanna see Glass go head to head in a death match with Jan.

Those who know understand lol.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5714
ANY ad that requests Western Union is for sure a scammer.

And also, as I predicted, this 410inch guy is a moron... just ignore him.

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 40
He said it was a joke, because that is typically where those dudes say they are from lol. In this case not but he said he was kidding. i loled... get some humor in your life

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2633
ya there was one for a 94 supra for 5 gs and i was gunna get it so i emailed him and he was like o i live in canada and need the payment sent by western union or something and i was like no thank u

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22725
There can be a bright side when you spot these douches. Have fun with them. At the very least you'll waste their time. Respond extremely interested and you can have them salivating for days. NEVER give actual info but lure them along with questions about their product. Seem as anxious as they are and watch their greed take over. Give them a false address to send the certified check, maybe twice lol. Here are some funny azz reads from The Best of Craigslist on scams.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/78395856.html

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/987443049.html

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5121
haha, those are awesome, Paul.

Looks like this guy put it up on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-JL-12-W7s-and-2-1000-1-Amps-sale-amp-kits-/260594621418?cm d=ViewItem&pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3caca65bea

At least that way you get buyer protection guarantee (though I haven't used it and don't know how good it is).

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1186
Still seems like a scam to me..... Now his location is in atlanta georgia? i thought he lived in north carolina or something like that....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22748
Seller has zero feedback selling a $1000 item with an account generated on April 28th????

Um.................next lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
i know i have seen the exact picture of the sub in the box on a different listing before

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 410
19 bids.........

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 883
wow someones going to be pi*sed...0 transactions i wouldnt bid...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22754
In his CL ad he says free shipping but now he charges $40 for next day air?

Again, when someone tries to sell something outside of their area on CL it's almost always a scam.

He posts it in Salt Lake city but he's from NC. Now he's in Ga on Ebay?

First thing I would ask is for more pics next to the local daily paper lol.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 888
Lets see if he replys to my message I sent to him on ebay -
I doubt he will reply and frankly I could give a sh*t , this guy is bs.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us