Alpine Type-R Setup

Username: Kounnavong

Post Number: 1
Hi, I recently bought 2 alpine type-r 12's(Alpine SWR-1222D). They are the 2 ohm ones. I don't have a car, but I'm going to put it in my girlfriend's car. I wanna learn how to make this all from scratch. My amp is a Alpine MRD-M1005. My head unit is an Alpine 9835R.

Here are the specs for the subwoofers:

-12" 500 watts RMS (1,500 watts Peak) Car subwoofer
-Frequency Response: 24Hz - 500Hz
-Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Cone
-High Excursion ¾" Santoprene Surround
-Dual Voice Coil
-Custom Cast Aluminum Frame
-Integrated Leg Vent System
-Bumped Backplate
-Heat Transfer Plate
-High Strength Brass Voice Coil Bobbin
-Double Stacked Magnets
-Oversized Parabolic Dustcap
-Magnetically Optimized Motor Structure
-Designed and Engineered in the USA

My question is.. do you guys think this is an easy set-up? This is the first time I've ever wired a system together. Making a box seems really confusing to me, but if there's a simple guide to one, let me know.

Does anyone know how hard these will thump? Are the 4 ohm ones better if I'm using only one amp? I heard the M1005 is the perfect amp for 2 alpine type-r 12's.

My girlfriend's speakers are stock car speakers and I was wondering what the best speakers to get for the 2 front side speakers, tweeters and 2 6x9's for less than 250 all together.

Thanks very much guys.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 573
You're going to get 700 rms to those 2 woofers. You'll need to wire them each to a 4 ohm load then bridged to the amp at a final 2 ohm load. Should do alright. If you do a ported enclosure they'll get plenty loud. Lots of people run the type Rs and seem to be happy with them, very popular sub.

Post Number: 2
Is there a diagram online for this? I also have a JL 1000/1 amp. Do you think it's better to use the Alpine or the JL 1000/1? What kind of wires should I buy for the Type-Rs? I still have 400 left to spend so I was fixing to spend 250 on speakers and 150 on wires and such. Is it a good idea to also buy a capacitor? And if so, which one? I really don't want my subs to blow cause of an idiot mistake I did.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1412
That amp does 1000watts at 2ohms which is perfect for you.
Use this calculator to figure out how to wire for a 2 ohm load. http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp All you need to do is select 2 speakers and 2ohm dual voice coil.

v This is a good link for box building v
http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html
I would suggest 4-4.5cuft @ 35hz

Either the Alpine or JL amp will work fine, I doubt you will notice a difference. Just use the one you like better.

As for wire I would suggest
http://www.knukonceptz.com/
You can get both the power wire (I would suggest 1/0 gauge) and the rca's.
You would be fine using regular 14gauge speaker wire or anything up to 8 gauge to wire the subs to the amp.
You dont need a capacitor.

Make sure you set the gain on the amp properly and you shouldnt blow them.

I am currently running 2 12" type-r's myself and I love them. The can get very loud in the proper install.

Good luck with your install.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16191
keep the JL for urself & give the GF the alpine

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/box_wizard.asp

i dont think most girls wud want it overly too LOUD so id do a sealed box with each sub in about 1.25cuft which is easy to make & u can DIY

u might as well go alpine for the entire set - i was in car yesterday that im doing a box for 2 10" type R & this car has alpine type R comps & type R 6x9s in the back too & it sounds pretty good ...though personally i wud NOT put any rear speakers in & just do a good pair of componets in the front alone

this why : http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/rearfill.html .......

Post Number: 3
Wow really sweet guys. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much. When I get everything for my install and build the box, I'll let you guys know how it goes. You guys are awesome. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.

Post Number: 4
Oh and my girlfriend doesn't really like it loud, but I do. I'm driving in her car a lot so I like to thump as hard as possible. I'm fixing to save up for 2 12w7's whenever I have extra money again.

Yeah I don't think I'm going to buy rear speakers. The set-up is going to be in a 1997 2 door Integra. This is going to be great.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 574
You can get good subs for less than 2 12 w7s are going to run you. They're great subs but just many other good options for less money.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 345
^i agree. Also,i think you will be pleasantly suprised at how good those type rs will sound. My little brother acually has the same car with a set of type r 12s ran on a aq1200d. Its amazing how loud they get! You wont be disapointed

Post Number: 5
Is there a site on where to buy the perfect L ported box for 2 type r's? I think I quit on trying to make the box. It's pretty complicating for me on how to set-up and build the box. I kinda ruined the box I was trying to make.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13143
you have the box built professionally.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 394
hit up bassman3.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11872
Where are you located? If someone on here is close to you, you might be able to have them build you one.

Post Number: 6
I live in San Diego, CA. 5 minutes away from Petco Park.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1415
Petco Park? Is that where the pets go?

Post Number: 7
It's a baseball stadium sponsored by Petco.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13150
USA Feline Olympic training center
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us