Serios question continued?

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 877
Here is a previous thread I started in Amplifiers...https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/630853.html

Would I be better off to buy the 1600 watt amp and buy two 2ohm 12'' type r's and wire them down to 2 ohms.

Or do you think I would be better off just sticking with the 1200 watt amp and getting the type r's in 4 ohm and wiring it down to 1 ohm. The amps are the same price and thats what raises my question on what subs to get. I would like to keep it simple and get the 1200 watt amp and the 4 ohm 12'' type r's and wiring them down to 1 ohm but need a second opinion? What should I do in your opinion. The amps are the same price and that means I would get some extra watts ,but if I wired the 1600 amp at 2 ohms it would be more stable but would not power the r's to there full potential? WTF should i do for the price you cant beet the extra amps or can you? What would you do?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13134
I would go with the 1200 watt amp (second link) and get a pair of dual 2 ohm coil type R subs.
Wire the coils in series for an 8 ohm sub, and wire both subs in parallel for a 4 ohm load. You'll get 450 watts RMS per sub, and the type R does very well with something in the area of 500WPC. That's right where you want to be without overpowering them and damaging the coils.

You could go to the larger amp and still run it at 2 ohms if you really want, but I wouldn't wire either one down to 1 ohm with those subs.
The other advantage is at 2 ohms, the amp will have much more headroom than at 1 ohm, so the control (damping) will be much better, as will the slew rate, THD, and S/N ratio.

the lower the load you present to any amplifier, the less reserve power the amp has from it's power supply. You want that reserve power for sudden peak demands. Especially with subs.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 391
i always feel bad for running my saz-3000d at 2ohms (the whole i am not using it to its full potential thing.), but i don't have the electrical to run at 1ohm, what do you think of the sundown line glasswolf?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13136
really nice amplifiers. I like them.
I wouldn't feel bad about running the amp at 2 ohms. Hell, I'd love to run all of my amplifiers at 4 ohms if I could afford ones large enough to do that and give me the power I need.

The ONLY advantage to driving an amp at 2 or 1 or lower ohm loads, is getting more wattage from the amp per dollar spent.

The advantages to running 4 ohms?
less heat
more dynamic headroom
better S/N ratio
lower THD
better damping

for quality of sound, running at 4 ohms is superior in every single regard. It just costs more to do so, and generally will mean physically larger amplifiers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us