Sound dampening

Bronze Member
Username: Itatum

Post Number: 35
i would like some help on keeping the sound in my car. I thought you all would have some helpful ideas.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 366
Google secondskin sound deadner.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1410
second skin may still have a sale on b-stock spl tiles. I picked some up a while back and am happy with them.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmotor

Post Number: 13
Sound dampening?
Why would you want your sound to be wet?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 568
damp·en
--verb (used with object)
1.to make damp; moisten: to dampen a sponge.
2.to dull or deaden; depress: to dampen one's spirits.

Would be the second definition.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
my bad on the spelling you @#$%^& im sick of your kind of people on here. how about you just dont say anything.

but thanks to all of you that helped.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 367
Ur not wrong in ur spelling, we understood wat u meant. I wouldn't pay any mind to comments like that. Just his attempt at funny and a fail at that.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 572
I posted the definition to show that you were correct when you said dampening. That is all.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13131
on sound damping I have a couple comrades writing a sound damping tutorial as we speak. It should be up on the CAC boards to which I can link when it's posted within the next week or two I'd suspect.

Till then, read this maybe?
http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13132
Also a basic starting point:
get sound mat (second skin, eDead, whatever) and mat the doors (sheet metal, under the door panels) as well as (if you're inclined) take out the car seats and consoles, and remove the carpeting. mat the sheet metal floor boards, then replace the carpeting and seats etc. Headliner next, and mat the sheet metal ceiling of the car.. any large metal surfaces will resonate and waste energy.

Next, move to the trunk and interior plastic panels, and use careful amounts of expanding foam to brace anything that can rattle that you can't secure with matting.

After this, move to outside the car and use "dumdum" or that windshield black caulk material to secure things that rattle like your license plates.

that's a start.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
WELL then i will just have to take it easy then lol. i apologize.

i really like the spray foam idea. i finally got a good amp, and its been pretty hard trying to chase down were all the rattles are coming from. this sound damping stuff is one of the funnest things so far.

on a side note were do you all go to check to see if you found all the rattles and things without driveing people nuts. maybe like a big parking lot or something like that?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13137
my garage.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 113
quick question, my box is about done. and i was woundering if i could just paint it with a can of auto body undercoating? i figured it would give it a cool textured affect, and it's black so it shouldn't look too bad.

but on the can it says its also a sound deadener. so my question is will it affect the acoustics of the box? or will it not even affect it because im just applying a few thin coats.

thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmotor

Post Number: 15

quote:

my bad on the spelling you @#$%^& im sick of your kind of people on here. how about you just dont say anything.

My*
I'm*
How*
don't*

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
^^ dude, you'r such a FKing loser. i rly hope you get baned next week.
because we are all sick of people like you on here.

thanks for the worthless comment. now go jerk off on a diff forum.

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 368
Not one of those is a spelling error. He didn't use capitals or proper punctuation but it still makes sense.

Zeke just ignore him. He's clearly just feeding off you getting mad.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13138
that's what trolls do.

anyway the bed liner material will work fine, and it should help the box in that it will lower the resonant frequency by adding mass.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 393
so what happens if you deaden the inside of a sub box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
ok wolf, cool.

^^and that was another question, what would that do?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13144
same thing.
adds mass so it reduces resonance.
This is why people have done things like make a sub box from 8" thick billet aluminum (Krell) or make one box inside another, and line the spae between with sand.
The less the box moves or flexes, the less coloration the enclosure adds to the sound being produced by the speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
wow, that's very interesting. billet aluminum? not the average enclosure by far, haha

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13151
Krell Master Reference Subwoofer
$42,000.00 US
http://www.krellonline.com/sub.html

Sorry I was off a bit. Not .8" thick. full 1" thick enclosure made of alumiinum with two 15" subs, and 2600 watts RMS.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 942
I had two of those Krell subwoofer systems hooked up to my HT, they just didn't suite my needs.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2207
I park random spots from time to time to test/search for rattles. Honestly if I'm driving and I hear a new one I'll just stop at the first large parking lot I cross for a few minutes.
Comps are a good time/place.
Or I have a large farm outside of town where people can't bother me. It's probably the best place for something like car audio tuning/testing.
I think the audible difference of deadening a sub box is debatable, and for most people not worth the time/effort/cost. Adding additional layers of mdf seems like it would be more cost effective and beneficial for people with audible enclosure issues.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5711
I got to witness that Krell sub at a boutique high-end audio shop here in town a few years ago. Insane. It can do 120dB @ 20Hz.

And guess which 15" drivers it uses?

TC Sounds HE-15's.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13159
and it only weighs 400 lbs!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us