New System

Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 9
Okay so i've decided to start all over... This time i'm going to go with 2 subs rather than one. So if anyone can give me a lot of input on a nice SQL system to get i'd highly appreciate it. The system is going into a 2002 chevy malibu. I will be getting a ported custom enclosure well built by a local guy that knows his stuff. This is going to be for everyday use though but i still want a very loud system. Loud BUT still high sound quality. My budget is $1,500 - $2,000 .. I'm not sure which type of subs to buy so suggestions please. I'm thinking maybe $350-450 per sub. Only 12" subs. And an actual amp that can power these. Remember everyday use system though and what do you think i'd hit on the db meter with this system IF i happened to see. I'm going to upgrade the Big3 also because my car isn't ready yet. So yea lets get to it !!! Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
also i wanted this setup to be about 2,500-3,500 rms.. is that too much for a daily setup??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
also i wanted this setup to be about 2,500 - 3,500 rms.. is that too much for a daily setup??

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13085
why two subs?
You'll get more displacement with a single 18" Fi SSD, and 1500-2000 watts RMS would be all you really need, although a slot vented enclosure will increase the mechanical power handling of the sub, as will a few options offered by Fi, like "copper coil" and "BP power"

That sub, in a 6 to 8 cubic foot enclosure with a healthy slot port, will rock that Malibu. It'll also destroy just about any pair of SQL 12" subs you'd find for close to the same cost. The cone area is vastly superior, and excursion (Xmax) is going to be pretty good, too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
yea i was considering an 18 but wasn't sure if it would be as loud as a good pair of 12's.. i'm going to look into that sub. would that sub be better than an Fi BTl ? How much would this sub cost? And what we be a good enough amp to power it on my budget. AND would i still have enough money to upgrade my big3? sorry so many questions.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13091
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154bcf14a03bd6b/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

$259 with options

a single 18" will be at least as hard hitting as two 12", and it will hit much, much more deeply with resonance you'll feel in your chest if you tune low as I suggested, around 28Hz, or go straight sealed box (smaller box then too)

The SSD is more of a daily use sub, and all around good SQL sub.
The BTL is purely for SPL competitions and NOT a daily music sort of sub. I think the SSD is more what you want.

As for power, the sub is rated for 800 watts RMS, plus the added handling with the BP power option and copper coils, so figure 1000-1200 watts RMS would be the most you'd need.
A Sundown Audio 1000.1 or Audioque AQ1200d would be plenty of power. Choose your coil configuration based on the amp you choose. I'd recommend the Sundown given the choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Okay I just checked that sub out.. But so i had 2 15 L7's before off of about 1000 rms in a sealed box. i just wana make sure that my new setup is going to be alot better and louder and like you said bass that i'll feel in my chest. Is this setup going to be MUCH better than my kickers?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13092
if you want louder than two L7S15s, you may want to go with the BL with 1Kw per sub. The L7s get very loud.. They just sound lousy doing it.
The SSD 18 will be close to twh two L7s. Maybe not louder, but it will hit much deeper, and sound FAR better. I think any trade-off there is well worth it, but that's me.

I hate solobarics, and I really like Fi subs. I'm also a SQ guy, not an SPL guy. I'm older and I don't feel a need to compete with a parking lot full of highschool kids anymore. That 18" should be plenty loud enough and then some for the average person.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Yea my fist set of subs were solo barics.. As of right now i have 2 w6v2 10's just for now i sold all my other subs. But so BL's thats Fi's? What size subs would be best? i guess i just want something as loud as the 2 15's but has great SQ also. i do have a pretty decent budget right? and yea i want a little more than the average person lol.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13094
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154bcf14a03bd6b/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/product_overview.shopscript
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us