Best Subwoofer and Amp for under $1,100

Username: Rbyers

Post Number: 1
Hello to all. New to the forums. So I've been doing car audio and wathcing others for over 6 years now. But I'm not having any luck finding answers I want locally. Originally I planned 2 12" kicker L7s on the Kicker 1500.1. Then all the fun about Kickers horrible sound quality I started leaning towards a 13JLW7 and a JL1000.1v2. Then thinking more about it $1,300 for 1 sub and 1 amp is A LOT of f-ing money. So what I need are suggestions for probably 2 12" subs that will be VERY loud and also have really good SQL and a amp to push them. This system will be for daily use and will see high volume often so I want something reliable as well.

Thanks
Robert

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 379
AQ2200D $389 each
shipped

http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=72

FI BL12 dual 1 VC + cooling.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154bcf89498a3fd/shopdata/0050 _Speakers/0020_BL/product_overview.shopscript

$389 + $608 = $997

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 392
for the price difference between the 12 and 15, i'd step it up to the 15 possibly even the 18 depending on how much space you have.
What vehicle will this be going in?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 381
providing he has 1/0ga wire all ready and will need a box built or to build one him self.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16185
what sort of power range ur looking at & do u have a separate budget planned out for batteries & high output alt ? ...

Post Number: 2
It is a 2005 Ford Taurus. I know I know. What a awesome car. Imeale decent money but don't have credit so I'm stuck with it for a few years. That's out of the way. :D I have a seperate budget for everything else. I'm planning on a 200+ alternator and maybe a Kinetic 1800 with 0g big three up front and running 0/1 g for the amp. Most of the car will be layered in dynamat and I want to be hitting in the mid 140s atleast for SPL but still have a decent SQL. I have plenty of space but would like to keep some of my trunk. Preferably something that will fit in a custom box between the wheel wells. I have never heard of Audioque or FI sadly but in searching through these forums I see they are commonly mentions here. Are they really that good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Well here is my build log for my friend's Fi BL 15 in his 96' Taurus. It was a PITA to get the box in there, just so you know.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/579965.html

Post Number: 3
WOW. Definately not interested in that. This car is driven daily and the trunk is used often.

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
If i were you, i wouldn't put a ton of money into this car simply because you will be using your trunk. I mean Its a lot of time and money to invest on something that will be a hindrance. I would just get a decent 12" sub on <1000 watts and run 4ga, maybe a battery in the back (that you can take out and use for your next install).

Just my $.02

Post Number: 4
I recently had 3 12" pioneers in the trunk in a big pyramid shaped box and still had quite a bit of trunk space. I know I could get the kickers in a sealed box with around 1.5-2 cubic feet each or a single JL in a ported box and still have space.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 383
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154bcf89498a3fd/shopdata/0050 _Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

you could get away with as little as 1.8^3 feet ported for ssd 12's

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 558
If you want a good SQL sub but don't want to pay for a w7 go with one of these: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/xcon.html . Then grab one of the RD 1750.1s for sale here on the forum if any are left and that should do nicely. If not the RD amp then maybe a Sundown 1500D. Also get a custom built enclosure.

Post Number: 5
Like the look of that SSD and the price. Is that a good sub in person? Again. I've never heard of these brands. How would two of those sound ported and with what amp?

Post Number: 6
@ Shawn. Link is a dead end.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 364
check out this link there are alot of good options for subs and amps there
http://soundsolutionsaudio.com/store

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 560
It works

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/xcon.html

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2128
hi robert. i have a nice sub/amp combo for sale if you are interested

DD 9515G - $300 + Paypal fees + shipping
RD3250 - $425 + Paypal fees + shipping
Fisher Customs box - $50 + paypal fees + shipping

dimensions on the box - 32 wide x 23 deep x 16 high
it is tuned to 40 hz using aero ports - so tuning can be lowered if you purchased longer tubes

i also have a few small batteries, 1/0 wiring, etc

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2370
with a pair of 12 inch BLs and an AQ2200 u should hit in the mid 140s easy.
AQ amps really are the best thing u can get for the money that i have seen.
i have owned a BL and it gets loud and still sounds really good in a good box.
if u don't know what FI is .. do u know who steve meade is? u should look up his stuff.
if ur looking for good wiring http://www.vertexaudio.com/ had some really nice wire that was DIRT cheap! i am not sure if they have any left.
those subs and amp will be MUCH better than L7s and a 1500.1.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 109
iv'e really ben considering the aq amps. there sure is a lot of people on this site that say what you just said. best bang for the buck, witch sounds good to me

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2373
i run aq subs. i did have an aq amp. the amp was great at .5 ohms. i never had a problem with that amp. and the subs really put out. i have the sdc2.5s and have put 1500 watts to them on music and they seem to like it. hahaha. find me on fb or email me worrblade@yahoo.com
my name is Luke Kennedy.
i do think that the fi BL has more SQ than the AQ subs.. and the FI Q sounds amazing.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 562
If you want good SQL you may want to go with a pair of the Qs then the BLs.

Post Number: 7
I actually found a ton a of help from some guys over on the Taurus forums I'm on that are very familiar and use FI and other brands that have been recommended here and after chatting away on there I think I've made my decision. I think I am going to go with 2 SSD12s as soon as I get some exact measurements to see if I can fit two of those in a ported box in my trunk and run a AQ2200d for them. Sound good? Anyone used this setup before?

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
if i remember correctly, you'll want the box to be less than 15" tall for it to slide into the trunk opening without any problems

Post Number: 9
Yeah. Just a ballpark measurement I took was about 36x15x16-20? Will make some demos out of cardboard to see how big I can actually go exactly

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2374
ur going to get the SSDs? ... i would would almost get a pair of AQ sdc2.5s.......
those are good subs either way.
by the way.. i have a pretty sick design for a single 15 HDC3 box.. its a big folded horn design. ill send it to ya if u change ur mind and get a pair of HDC3s....
i think it might be worth ur money to do that. if u ever want to upgrade ur amp those subs would always be ready for more.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3029
Step it up and get the BL's instead of the SSD's to run on 2200w.

Daniels B's equipment is good stuff and thats a good price for that stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2133
thanks donnie

the BLs and an AQ2200 would be loud as well
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us