Does the size of the port matter?

Username: Teltic

Post Number: 5
I'm assuming it does... I need education. I've been using this RE enclosure thing... http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

I'm trying to build a ported box for 2 audiobahn AW1206T subwoofers...

And I'm looking at the specs for my subwoofer on audiobahns website.. all I do with the specs is I take the total volume (1.5 cu ft) and times it by 2 (since i'm using 2 subwoofers)
http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/images/tech/2007/boxParams/AW06T_box_specs. pdf

I want my box 38" by 16" by 13.5"... Basically from what I understand I can have any port size.. but it will tune it in different frequencies... the specs on the website say 40. I'm assuming it stays 40 even with 2 subs. so I will have the square port width at 3.5 and square port length at 7.25

this will make my box at 3.0 cu ft and 40 tune freq. Which is what I want according to AW1206T space saving bass design specs.

Post Number: 6
image/bmpUpload
Untitled.bmp (84.4 k)

anyone want to tell me what i'm doing wrong or if I did it right?

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1037
looks right to me, but you will need it a bit bigger to account for the sub displacement

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13072
yes it matters.
you need the port opening large enough to prevent port noise, and you need the right diameter (or LxW) and depth to tune the port to a specific frequency based on the box's volume.

Post Number: 7
@kyle Okay but I just realized I don't need to look at port displacement because this program already has it included. so do I add sub displacement (0.25) with air space (1.3) = 1.55 times by 2 subs = 3.1 cu ft. right?

@glasswolf How do I know how big the port size needs to be? The specs sheet says 3 x 6.75. times that by 2.. But those are round ports... how do I change from rounded to square port?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13075
by recalculating the entire enclosure.
www.bcae1.com has the calculators available in java form.

Post Number: 8
I've flipped through at least 100 pages in that site and can't find any enclosure calculator...

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1040
im not exactly sure what you are looking for but is this it?

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7618
for a daily box with those subs i'd run 12/14 square inches of port per cubic foot

Post Number: 9
@frkkevin run a 12/14 square inch port per cubic foot? since my box is 3 cu ft I should run 36/42 square inch port? I'm not sure what you mean by 12/14 square inch port.....

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7619
12-14 square inches of port per cubic foot of the enclosure

so at 3 cubic feet i'd run 36 square inches of port

Post Number: 10
okay 36 square inches. What frequency is good for ported box? Just a simple every day use... 40? 35? 30?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7620
35hz is generally good for a mix

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So correct me if I'm wrong.. but the length of the square port #2 is there to tune the box, doesn't effect square port area.. but it tunes the box.

heres what I got for my box... anything wrong?

image/bmpUpload
Untitled.bmp (65.5 k)

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 396
Yes that is correct.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
anything I should change before I build the box? Do I need to round off the port piece? someone told me that before....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Also I don't know if I can afford both subs at once.. can I stick one in for now and buy the 2nd sub later? Or is this box meant for 2 and won't work with just one?

thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13088
if you go that route, then make the box divided so each sub has it's own separate air space.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/images/tech/2007/boxParams/AW06T_box_specs. pdf

this site shows rec. port size ( 3 x 6.75) that equals 20.25 port area... times by 2 (2 subs) 40.50 port area is what I need? my box I have planned is 36.25... is this a problem?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13123
for a 12" sub, I would not go any smaller than a 4" ID port tube.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us