Glasswolf

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7611
noticed you did not allow pms..

was just curious what your running now for your SQ setup?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13068
oh, yah thats just because I get flooded with PMs then.. and everyone wants help in PMs instead of here.. its gets overwhelming.

I hang out on IRC too on freenode, in #caraudio

300A alternator & external regulator
300A Battery Isolator
Sears 875CCA Gold starter battery
Kinetik Monster 2400 audio battery
1/0 AWG power distribution
Pioneer Premier DEX-P99RS
Orion 2250SX amplifier
(300WRMS x 2 @ 4 ohms stereo @ 14.4VDC)
DynAudio System 360 front stage
(8" midbass, 3" midrange, 1" silk tweeter)
Orion 2250SX amplifier
(1500WRMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged @ 14.4VDC with modified internals)
One Fi Q18 subwoofer, sealed, High QTS, Cooling, I Heat Ring, and additional spider, dual 2 ohm coils
Compustar 2WSS-AS alarm system

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7615
how do you have the arrangement?

i run a dls a3/a4/a6 .. dls ultimate nobelium tweets in pillars and 6.5s in pods.. then some illusion audio nd 8s in the doors.

ive been considering running the dls dome midranges but idk.. if anything i could switch up to a 4" midrange.. the 6.5 is a great midrange and dont get me wrong i have no issues with them but i wonder how much difference i'd have in the midrange itself running the smaller driver.

more than likely if i change anything soon it will be from the cda9887 to something that runs optical so i can run optical in to the h701

substage is two sealed SE 12s .7 cubes each from 15hz-40hz on the dls a6

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13071
http://www.glasswolf.net/cars/charger/charger_307.jpg

I made pods to hold the 3-way sets, aimed the way I wanted them for imaging. That way I didn't have to cut the rather rare factory power window control door panels in the car. Everything can be removed without damage to the car. This also allowed me to cover the pods in matching black speaker grill cloth, so they blend in. As you can note above, I have a lot of foot room to work in that car. It's not like a modern car where foot space is pretty cramped.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 105
wolf, i kept thinking you had a new charger, lol

didn't know you were in to american muscle
if you dont mind, what year, motor, trans, and rear end are you running?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7617
makes sense. btw nice steering wheel :P .. used the have the same grant in my old plymouth.. sold it when gas prices jumped

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13080
originally a '66 383 big block car. PW, PS, A/C
now 493 wedge, ~700+hp on motor, 1000+ on spray
mancini racing prostreet built 727 trans with transbrake, removable billet sprague and scatter shield.
DTS Dana 60 with 3.73 suregrip VLSD on Strange 35 spline axles

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7621
i used to run a 440 magnum with a 727.. pulled a 8.25 that fit in my car and swapped for some 4.10 gears

never will i run 4.10 on a daily driver again! lmao .. then i bought a new silverado.. and ended up selling the car.. wish i still had it but of course it was my first car too so it holds that special place haha

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13090
yeah even for strip use I stuck with a 3.73. On a 3 speed, you just can't drive on a highway with a 4.11 rear end.
I am going to add a GV overdrive tail unit, so I can add overdrive, but that's a big chunk of money for one that can handle 1200HP.
I like the manual valve body on my 727 though, and the transbrake. That thing launches like a Saturn V
I actually had to use a nitrous controller for a graduated onset so I could hook with DOT slicks. If I had all 18lbs/min of nitrous hit at launch, the car would never hook.

My 493 started life as a 1972 440 magnum super commando engine. The only thing left stock though is the block itself, which was actually fully machined and clearanced for the stroker kit.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 107
wow, nice setup. i think im in mopar heaven lol. and yeah, our 66 el camino has 4.11 gears with a mini-spool. you have to yell to the person next to you when your doing 60. then you have to stop at the nearest gas station.

that's only got a 350 and 400 trans tho. 450hp at the tires.
best time at the 1/4 was a 12.03

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7622
if i had the money and time i'd do another mopar.. they just are not cheap to build lol.

i guess neither is my subaru thats in progress :-/

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13096
yup my friend's 71 SS454 Elkie (468cid) has 4.11s and a 3000rpm stall in it with a bit over 600HP, and that thing is insane.

I finally sat down last night and uppdated this page a bit, too.
http://www.glasswolf.net/cars/charger/index.html

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2130
hey glasswolf - i was poking around your site and saw that you are into cycling

i am looking to get into cycling a little bit. i am looking into road bikes and have a budget of around $500.

any suggestions?

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2131
im not opposed to used either - just havent found anything. ive checked out the local shops here in traverse city as well

i found these online

http://aroadbike4u.com/product/jamis-ventura-sport-63309-1.htm

http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222347050___42

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13100
try www.bikeforums.net
look at the for sale section.
That or CL is where you'll find a decent bike used.
The stuff I was shopping for was in a higher price bracked (about 2X your budget) so I'm not too sure in the $500 range.
If you do want to spend a bit more and want a cool bike though, check out a company (used) called Kestrel

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1552
i too have admired your fuel ex. You gotta love the giant pivots they used on them a few years back. What year is that one? 06? 07? those oclv 110 carbon frames aren't cheap

daniel what are you looking to do on the road bike? race? or just recreational?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13111
mine is an '06. Bike was about 6 grand new, plus the Mavic SL-R wheelset was about $1100, then added the pedals, different saddle, Maxxis Larsen TT UST tires, few things like that. It is a fun bike. I like carbon frames. I'm a big proponent for carbon frame bikes. lateral stiffness, smooth ride, and about ten times stronger than any metal frame material, including steel, aluminum, and titanium. Lighter, too.

The Kuota Kebel is about 15lbs fully built.

I bought the Trek used from someone when it was a year old, and paid $3500 for it.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2132
thanks for the info sir

phil - just recreational. i dont see myself doing any sort of racing

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5073
Glass,

How deep are the Dynaudio 8" drivers? I've been pondering grabbing a set for my car but am having a notoriously difficult time locating a good set of 3-way components with an 8" woofer. I wish Inifnity had a set from the Kappa series, but nay. Dynaudio seems to be the best bet. And how would they fare for running sub 100Hz?

JL has some stuff, but the drivers go way too deep.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13122
Rainbow, DLS, a few others make some really good 3 way systems, too.
The Dyns are fairly shallow, and sealed drivers. They play down quite well. Mine roll off to a single 18" that I cross over at about 50Hz so they go at least 1 octave below 100Hz. The thing to be aware of with the Dyn set though, is that they use a very shallow first order filter network for their 3-way setup. It's really smooth, but that shallow slope @ 6dB/octave makes them not an ideal candidate for aggressive power and audio. They're designed to be very laid back and smooth. The only good way around that limitation is going fully active.

http://www.dynaudio.com/images/auto/mobile/pdf-mobile/DYN_MW170.pdf

the DynAudio MW170 midbass driver is 88mm deep

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5076
Thanks! That would be ideal, actually.

And it is fantastic that the Dyn's are so smooth; I'm going to use the speakers for my SQ oriented sound system. SPL has become a "been there done that" thing and I'm not too keen on heading back in that direction (maybe that's why I'm not here as often). SQ has been a much more rewarding endeavor.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 875
When it comes to car audio theirs some veterans on here that's for sure. I've learned alot off of this forum over the years. Hope to see some more oldschool audio enthusiasts on here and it good to see some come back and chime in from time to time.

Shout out to all of you.

Peace
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us