Orion HP12D4

Bronze Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 91
just picked up an orion HP12D4. actually i got 2 of them in about the worst pre-fabed box ive ever seen!!

one sub was blown. stiff as a rock, so i have one good one. but the problem is i cant find any specs on a vented enclosure for it anywares. and the websites that sold them say there discontinued now.

i got them for free, so i just want to spend $24 on some MDF and build a box throw in a amp and sell it.

what size box and port would be the best SPL yielding setup for this single 12" 4ohm dvc sub?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12985
either email Orion, or just go with a generic 2.0 to 2.5 cu ft box, and vent with a 4" ID port, and use the bcae1.com calculators to figure port length for tuning to 28Hz.

I'd go with the latter. I've done countless Orion subs, and they work well with those specs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
ok, thanks wolf. and buy the way i FINALLY found the spec sheet on this sub and it says for a vented enclosure, 2.0 cu ft box - 4" ID port - 7.44 inches of port and that would tune it to 40HZ?

why would they recommend 40 hz?

i like your idea tho, 2.5 cubes tuned to 28 hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
one more thing.

slot port is guna be a little over 12.5 inches.
should it fire the same direction as the sub, or should it fire through the side on the opposite side of the box than the sub?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12993
with a slot port, I typically have the slot open on the same face as the sub.

40Hz would be very boomy, and was a popular tuning frequency in the early to mid 90s, which is about the era of that sub if I recall. I'd aim for a deeper, more musical 28Hz. If you go with the round 4" port, it can be on the sub face side, or an adjacent side (like on top)
It'll just be longer than 7.44" when it's tuned lower.
if I recall, you'd be looking at closer to the 14" range? that's off the top of my head. I'd have to do the math to be sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
these subs came back in 2008, thats when these 2 were from. if were thinking of the same sub?

i used that bcae1.com calculators and it told me 12.556 sq of port at 4 inches ID. should i go with this, or should i move closer to 14??

how big of a difference would the 1.44" make?

http://www.securerides.com/images/P/27217.jpg

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13021
it makes a big difference. 12.5" I was fairly close for a guess. yeah I was thinking of the XTRs, but whatever. the calculator works well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
ok thanks wolf. and yeah, that was a close guess.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
i started the box build yesterday, but i didn't get much cut out because of the holiday and whatnot. getting back to it here in a few.

buy the way, would it be ok to finish the box in a black textured undercoating? would this affect the resonance of the box? iv'e ben wanting to do this for some time seems how the finish will be scratch and ding resistant. and i think the texture will add a nice touch.

what do you think?

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 405
Adding any thick exterior coating will not hurt the box. It may actually help If anything by adding density to the wood.

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 406
Don't get me wrong though, I'm not giving advice to do it for performance. Adding such a thin layer would not improve anything significantly.

But its safe to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
...^ ok, thanks. that's kinda what i expected. if anything it would help make it more solid. but such a thin layer wouldn't do so.

well i guess ill try it, just for the textured affect.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us