Whats louder

Bronze Member
Username: Arangov3

Post Number: 12
2 subs of half the power or one sub getting all the power. basicly 2 subs both getting 1000 watts rms or 1 sub getting 2000 watts rms

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 13883
from my experience it will probably be equal since your under powering the 2 subs....assuming all these subs are decent build quality

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7978
Totally dependent on the build and vehicle.

In a smaller vehicle, the single sub will likely be louder. Larger vehicle, the pair. More cone area and motor force will overcome lack of power if you have the space to build.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12967
theoretically, they will have the same output.

adding a second sub, and dividing the power between tehm is a gain of +3dB
Doubling the power to one driver is also a +3dB gain.

double the audible volume is a gain of +6 to +10dB, and requires an increase in power of 10 times the previous power level for every time the volume is doubled.

increasing power is an inefficient way to increase volume.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7979
Yes, I agree that theoretically they should be the same. But theory breaks down in the real world.

For instance (given you have enough space to build), if you are running the 1 sub on 2k and it is reaching xmax or nearing xmech the 2 subs will be louder for daily driving. More coil in the gap and motor force will be more efficient.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12986
my statement was based on the assumption that the drivers would be run within spec, and not pushed beyond their normal operating limits.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us