I THINK i have an alarm installed

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 519
Ah, good to be back. I learned just about everything i know about car audio from these forums, and thanks to Glasswolf and a few others. Have done a couple simple installs since then, but have never messed with alarms or remote starters, which brings me to my questions...

I just bought a used 2004 Tundra. It did not come with a keyless entry remote, which i though was strange b/c it has a lot of other features (TRD, JBL sound, sunroof, etc). I was digging around and found a couple things - a small metal toggle switch on the driver's side kick panel and an antenna thingy mounted inside up by the top left corner of the windshield. I Googled the part number on the antenna (118C1123), and it appears to be an alarm 2-Way Antenna. Found results for that part number for Code Away and for Prestige.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was/is an aftermarket alarm system. The radio has never got reception, which leads me to believe that there was an aftermarket deck and when the guy sold it he put the factory radio back in and didn't hook up the antenna wire. There's also a stealthy install of an XM Radio module. So, the person who owned it before me must have done some stuff to the truck.

Anyways, aside from taking it to the dealer or a car audio shop, how can i determine if there is an aftermarket alarm, keyless entry/ and/or remote start? I know i can trace the wires, but where would these modules typically be mounted? What are some key things to look for? If there is something there, how could i test its functionality? Either way, it looks like the hard part (the wiring) is already done. How could i go about getting this, whatever it is, back in action?

btw, i called the dealer and gave them my VIN#, and they said their records did not show keyless entry as stock installed feature. Not sure how accurate that is, but thought i should mention it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 520
ok, so i went out there and dug around a bit. i traced the wires from the toggle switch, and they run under and across the steering column. From there, i could not go any further without removing some paneling.

Username: Devajones

Post Number: 3
Usually if installed properly it will be tucked up under the dash or somewhere in a console. You will have to remove some underdash covering if you do have a prestige system you will see a black box (usually refered to as the brain) with wires going into it. it may take some hunting as different people hook up things different ways.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us