Help with type r subs

Username: Turbo_mustang12

Post Number: 1
So im building a party bus and decided to go with type r 12's. I wanna get 4 12's and wire them to a 1 ohm load. Which model do I need is it the 1222d or the other model? Also if I decided to go with 3 instead of 4 is it the same model if I want to wire it to a 1 ohm load? Im gonna be using a hifonic bxi2006d which is 2000 watts would this anp be able to push 4 of them? Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Bloodforge

Post Number: 19
I believe wiring up the 2ohm DVC's to show a 4ohm load for each sub by running the dvc's in series would put total down to 1 ohm with 4 of them ran in parallel to the amp? This would be the 1222D
I believe with 3 of them you would need the 1224D, and even then I don't believe you would be able to get exactly 1ohm
Don't quote me on that, I'm still a noob on wiring.
No Clue about the amp's abilities tho

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1016
sounds right to me
plus i confirmed it with this
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12904
why a 1 ohm load? why not 2 ohms?

the lower the load, the more THD, and the lower the S/N ratio. The less reserve pwoer you'll have, too. The only real advantage to lower loads is really more power (sometimes) but there are a lot of drawbacks.

Post Number: 2
That was my next question so if a 1 ohm load isnt good then what is? A 2 ohm load? and what model type r's do I get if im doing a 2 ohm load? I need to buy these this week so which is the best way to go? Im gonna get this amp now Hifonics BXi 2610D its 2600 watts at 1 ohm and 1700 and 2 ohms would this do the job for 4 type rs? So which is it 1 0hm or 2 ohms with theHifonics BXi 2610D. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1019
glasswolf, if he is getting that hifoincs amp he would need to use a 1 ohm load to fully power those subs
i believe it was you that i heard from that hifonics rates their amps at 16v? if thats the case then he definitely would want to run the 2610 at 1 ohm.
joe, if it were me, i would go ahead with a 1 ohm load on the 2610.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1402
look into the audioque2200 http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=28 as an alternative to the hifonics. personally I dont notice a difference in sound quality between ohm loads.

vLink for checking different ohm loadsv
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=12

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12910
eh, yeah I guess. its just for subs anyway so you wouldn't really hear the increased distortion. I'm just picky and prefer SQ over SPL, so I like to leave my amps with a ton of reserve power instead of running them already peaked out. If the amp he has isn't big enough, get a second one, or a bigger amp.. right tool for the job and all that.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the response guys. So whats the final say go with a !ohm load? Im thinking of getting the audioque 2200d. Do u guys reccomend it? Will it do the job to push the 4 12's? Also this is gonan be in a party bus being played for long periods of time.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12918
well since you're going with 4 type R 12" subs, SQ isn't your main focus, so a 1 ohm load should be fine.

You wouldn't hear the difference by staying at 2 ohms, most likely, anyway.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16171
what u need is 4 of the 1222 model & that aq 220d & u will be good to go

how is ur electrical system btw ?

what size alt does ur vehicle have & what kind of battery ? ...

Post Number: 5
its actually a bus with a really weird electrical system half 24v and half 12v. So I was thinking of getting some of those honda inverter generators but I wonder if I could even run the 12v amp and head unit of it. Anybody know? So I decided im getting the audioque 2200d and the 4 1222 alpine type r's. The boxes for the subs are going under the seats of the bus so it will be a open space what kind of boxes u guys reccomend. Ported right?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12934
That"weird" electrical system is essentially the same as the US Military uses in their vehicles like the "Humvee." It's typical of a diesel commercial setup. Your best bet is to just run one or two dedicated alternators (@ 12VDC) off the accessory belt on the engine, and let them charge a few car batteries to drive the audio system. Then your entire audio setup has it's own dedicated charging system.

Post Number: 6
Thanks glasswolf that is the some really good advice! Sounds comlicated but i will ask around to see if somebody could do it. So I can find the 1222d type r's anywhere for the price I was looking for so I wanted to see whats the next good woofer in the price range. I was thinking 4 kicker l5's. How do those compare arethey better. What do u all think??

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4384
what is your budget for subs? amp? box? electrical?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4385
ohh. and thats a hell no (L5's over the ype-r's). They are in the same price range anyways.. I'll allborate more when you answer the budget questions.

Post Number: 7
Well I was getting the type r's for around 130 so wanna kep it around that. I just bought the audioque 2200 so thats the amp. Boxes are just gonna be single ported boxes as they need to be spread around the bus

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12944
forget the kickers.
look at the Fi SSD 15s, and pick the "music" not "SPL" option and they'll do ya right

the electrical is actually pretty simple if you know what you're doing.
the on trick is making a plate to hold one or two alternators, then fitting a belt to drive them.. but still, its just a matter of having access to a metal fab facility.

Post Number: 8
I have a friend that is putting good at fabbing to ill ask him. 15s are to big I only have 16im of hight to work with because there going under the limo seating

Gold Member

Post Number: 4388
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SWR-1222D-12-INCH-CAR-AUDIO-SUBWOOFER-2-OHM-SUB_W0QQi temZ280426855522QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item414abe3c62

there ya go. 132.00 shipped each--- 7 available

or you could grab 2 of the Audioque HDC12-d1 for 249 each and roll with it. They would be a perfect match for that amp.. and you would still be loud as hell.

Either way, make sure your enclosure(s) are NOT scattered all over the bus as you mentioned earlier. you will want to keep em all together and firing uniformly if possible.
You will also need to sound deaden the hell out of the bus with that kind of setup. The rattling will be as loud as the system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us