Looking for an all out spl 12.... 500 watts

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2352
me and a friend of mine are going to do a build and run in the single 12 class. the rules is we have to be under 500 clamped watts .

we are looking at some subs that would be good for this.. the thing is when we look at the good spl subs they are made for so much power i dont think they will be so great with 500 watts.
what kind of sub would u suggest?
thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Hifonics 2607, Dc sounds 12...

Post Number: 13837
a cheap one we experimented with was a american bass dx 10 but in your case do the 12 we did 135 db with like 300 watts with a way too small port you should be able to at least pull a 137 with a 12

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2353
well.... we are hoping to get a 148..... hahaha. that is what we need to win this year

thanks! i can get those subs cheap

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Hifonics 2607, Dc sounds idmax 12sq

Post Number: 13839
if you do a 148 legal with 500 watts I want to shake your hand

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2354
148 outlaw...
i don't think we will get it. lol. but i think we can get in the 140s.

does any one else have any suggestions on subs for this?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7971
I have done 139+ w/ a single DD1508s4 on a PowerBass asa600.2, didn't clamp power but it was in a daily 6th order at 45hz. Likely around 200-300w actual power.

We also did 144's w/ 2 DD1508s4 in a Versa on an M1a @ 2ohm. Again, didn't clamp, but it was easily under 500w.

Depending on the vehicle, a single 12 should easily be capable of 143+ in an SPL box on 500w clamped. I'm kinda bias, but look into a DD1512. And depending on the amp you have, they now come in a D2ohm version.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7972
If you can find a CRX or other small hatcn and get time to test, 148dB on a 12" on 500w clamped is very doable.

I did a RF T1-12" in a Ranger last year on a KX300.1 @ 2ohm, 144.3 ~ 47hz, and it was still musical. Like all the rest, didn't clamp,but DCR was 2ohm.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2355
canaan! do u sell dd stuff?
do u think a dd512 would be good for this?
how much?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 518
I hit 138.5 dB with a 12 w7 in a SQL box on a 500/1. 140's would be doable with a SPL sub in a SPL box. 148 would be tough though.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2356
i think we will get mid 140s.. maybe 145 or so.. but higher than that will be hard... and the fact its in a single cab truck is going to make it almost imposable

Gold Member

Post Number: 7973
Just throwing this out there...that single cab truck is going to peak at a low freq.

Oh, and yea, I work at a DD-Dealer. Can't sell online though, you would have to walk thru my door for me to sell you a sub.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2358
well if i drove over how much would one cost?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3011
Competing in Basic 1?

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2359
looks like i am!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12923
Is that 500 watts actual RMS power, or an amp rated at 500 watts RMS @ 4 ohms?
I'm thinking I'd aim for a 500 watt @ 4 ohm amp that's 0.5 ohm stable, personally.

That said, I'd go with an Fi BTL 12, high QTL version dual 1 ohm coils, with cooling. I'd put it into a 6th order box., slot ported.
You should gain about +12 to +15dB with that setup, and with the coils in parallel, you'd be getting close to 4Kw of power to the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3015
Glass he's competing in midwest spl, they go by clamped power to your woofer(s).

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12933
ah. well, he can still use the BTL with 500 watts.
The 6th order box would make it work really well with relatively low power.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2362
do u really think a BTL would be louder than these subs that are made for less power?
i would think with the bigger voice coil and stronger spider would make it worse with 500 watts

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12948
he could look for the best sensitivity rating on a sub with a decently low QTS and use that in a 6th order.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2363
ya that is pretty much what i am looking for.. i like ur 6th order idea. i have never made one

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 382
I definitely agree with the 6th order box idea. use WinISD to find the best peak frequencies to tune it to, but even with that, building and testing will be a big part

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2364
ya that is pretty much what i am looking for.. i like ur 6th order idea. i have never made one

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 383
i had a failed attempt at a 6th order box for two kicker L512s. 10 net cu.ft. tuned to 32 and 45. Lets just say i was new to the whole idea of internal bracing, etc. lmao. But it did get really loud for the time it still held together lol

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12969
Here's teh trick to a 6th order box.

the math.

If you aren't precise in both your calculations, and your construction, your subs are going to unload as soon as you hit them with power, and you'll be picking pieces of teh subwoofer cones off the insides of the box about 15 seconds after you crank the volume the first time you play it.

Enjoy!

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2365
thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 360
http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=P1222&accT=1&tsT =0&ovT=1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us