OT. Head Unit problem

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1456
Ok long story short, i took my system out of my car for about a month i took out all my main fuses and tapped up all wires and rca's. I mainly took everything out to swap to sq system from a loud a** pa speaker kinda system. I just got done sound dampening my doors. then i installed some jl zr's. These are ran off a jl 300/2v2 amp.

Now with that said i am using an eclipse cd7200 head unit. Out of my three rca's i have run to the back the only set i can use are the ones hooked up to the sub output. On my high and mid output only one side of the rca's will work. I tried my older cd7000 and everything works fine so i know its not the rca's. I'm really kinda stumped here since everything worked fine about a month ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12895
see if there is a setting to disable any internal amp on the ehad unit, otherwise, the head unit may have been damaged by a static charge, and needs to be repaired or replaced.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1457
The head unit has no internal amp. If it needed to be repaired where would i start?

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1014
at the beginning

im just playing around, i really have no idea

Gold Member

Post Number: 1458
After some experimenting today, It seems when i ground one of the channels that does not work it works fine. Do you guys think its safe to ground an rca. Maybe its a quick fix does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1459
Since i know someone will have this same problem in the future and will probably find this thread on google i will post my ending results.

I stripped two long pieces of wire and wrapped one along both channels of my high output rca and one around both channels of my mid output rca. Then i tapped it all up and grounded the other ends of the wire to my chassis and problem solved. I did not touch my low/sub output because i for some reason worked fine. Although i really only needed to connect both channels from each rca, since one channel was working i decided to ground it all just in case so i would not have to rip out the head unit again.

If anyone else has had this same problem and actually knows how to fix it within the head unit itself im open to all ideas but this was my method of making my head unit work again.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11046
Hmm a blown RCA ground, interesting. Thats the first one i've seen or heard of not in a pioneer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1460
The funny thing, is that it happened while there was no system hooked up. I suppose next time i will disconnect the head unit also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us