Stock Alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Deanerjr

Post Number: 249
I just watched a video of a guy using his stock 110 amp alternator to push an FI BL 12 and RF T1500-1BD. which i didnt think you could do? >.>
Thing is, i have a 130 amp alt, im driving an 09' nissan altima coupe 3.5se. I looked up the specs and it says the v6 i drive runs a 130 amp alt.
But, would i be able to run this amp on my stock battery and alt?

his only modification he states is he has an ac delco battery.

the guys videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNCPgrN00o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBm5AA6JFqc&feature=related

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1399
You would probably be fine running that amp. The only way to find out is to try. If you have voltage problems then fix them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
sh*ttt. How would i go about fixing them? lol

Also, you think i'd be able to run it at 1 ohm?

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1581
you'd go about fixing them by getting a new alt, which if you dont wanna deal with dont take the chance. i was running an ed nine.1 (1200rms) of my stock alt which was like 140 or 150 amps with no big 3 or upgraded battery. so if you got a batt and did the big 3 id say you could run something close to that. id stay closer to 1200 than 1500 though. my lights dimmed and all but i ran that for over a year and had no problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
hmmm, so yay or nay on that amp?
Its either the T1500-1bd or the T1000-1Bd
both of which are underrated. Ive seen a birth sheet of 1608 rms at 1 ohm on the 1500, and 1400 rms on the 1000. Which were hiiiigh. but it varies alot. >.>

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1582
to stay safe id go for the 1000. but its up to you just depends if your willing to take the chance to have to replace your alt. you might not but id say more than likely you'd have to. the ed.nine is 1200 but its under rated to and my lights dimmed pretty good. i just wasnt commited enough to take the chance of putting in a ho alt. so id say youd be good with the 1000 with big 3 and batt. but if you wanna go with the 1500 better be prepared to shell out an extra 200-400 for an alt a couple months/ a year in the future

Gold Member

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1583
what sub you gonna be running?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5254
I think you would be fine with the 1500 off that alt with the big 3 done properly and a decent battery. For daily it should be fine...
If it cant keep up, then a larger alt is next...

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 488
Do realize the amp is rated at its RMS at 14.4 volts. Doing the big 3 helps to keep your voltage up, thus not creating any more power but helping your amp to keep receiving the highest volts it can to push out as much rms as it can.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
ah, okay shawn, and ill be pushing an FI BL 12.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12842
what we don't know in those videos, is if his amp is clipping, and what his voltage rails are when he's playing that system.
when the car was parked, the engine was off so it was only using the battery anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 344
im running a sundown sae 1200d(1500 wrms at 1 ohm) on my 110 alt with a kinetik hc1400 in the trunk. big 3 upgrade in 0 gauge. some songs are fine voltage will stay in 13s even at idle but on the other hand the songs with the real low and consistent beats drag my voltage down to the 12s even when im driving. lowest ive ever seen is 12.5 but i backed off the volume right away. takes power to make power. thats y im looking into a H/O alt.

to answer ur question will it work. yea but not to the full potential. but wat u can do is do the big 3, get the amp, and a volt meter keep an eye on ur voltage and ull find out. if it cant keep up get a bigger alt. or u could start with gettin a bigger alt

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 345
oh yea forget to mention...theres a lot of stupid ppl on youtube. i once watched a video of a kid with a re 12.1 pushing an orion hcca in a geo something or other. hes voltage was in the 11s the majority of the time. it was playin but far from ideal.

Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 7
the ed nineis 65 percent efficent thats probaly why your lights dimmed, it needed alot of power. those ed nines are solid amps but not very efficent .They are power suckers, rockford amps are more efficent.I am not saying one is better than the other ,audio is about prefrence and different people like different things. i would say you would be fine with the rockford 1000bd the 1500bd is a coin toss depend s on a varation of things

Post Number: 8
efficiency goes into the toilet at 1ohm so if you wanna go easy and not upgrade your alt run at 2 ohm or 4 you might wanna look at the alpine 2000

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12855
a lot of things go into the tolet @ 1 ohm.. THD, S/N, reserve power, current draw, but the efficiency of the amp is more a factor of the design and not the presented load.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 359
I have a sundown saz-3000D running at 2ohm's with a big 3 in 4ga (for now, broke college student), but it's better than nothing. Think I only have a 80-90 amp alt and when I am playing at 3/4 max I only get a little flicker in my lights so I would say it might be luck of the draw as well. yes I know I have a lot to fix, my first few pay checks are going to two runs of 1/0 for both pos and neg, 220 map alt, nice fat 120ah batt and I should be ok from there maybe some sound deading.

Post Number: 10
true it does depend on amp design

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12860
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/amplifiers.html

I know how it is to have to do things in steps. It's better to do it right and as you can than try to do everything at once and cheap out doing it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
i'll be running a 1/0 amp kit from Stinger, im thinking ill try running it all on stock electrical and alt at first and see what it does and work from there. Ill buy the extra 1/0 though to upgrade the big 3 in case, even though i'll most likely do it anyway.

so yeah, 1/0 wiring, stock electrical, 130 amp stock alt, RF T1500-1BD, and the FI BL 12:D
see what happens from there>.<

Also, ive seen batteries and alts for a few hundred a pop, but anybody got a recommended alt or batt size for a decent price i can get for this setup?
Also, i looked at optimas and kinetics, but i liked optimas prices better >.> however, and would i be replacing my stock batt, or running two? O.O

Also, for sh*ts and giggles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p209Cgy_cg&feature=popular

i was amazed. lol.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12869
usually you just replace the stock alternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us