12w7 Box...again

Bronze Member
Username: Glowbox

Post Number: 14
so i had finished my box and after sub displacement and port its 2.5 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz

It seems to have lost some out put bu plays the lows amazingly but when turned up seems to have more mechanical noise from excursion

the Port is 3X14.25 and 45 long and has some 90 degree turns to make it fit

Would i be better off with a smaller box and a long port with no bends? and what do you recomend as a good frequency to hit lows but not the loss of output?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5473
I would of had it around 2.0 cubes @ 32hz. Your port length should have been more so around 40" long to get a tuning of 32hz. The bends in the port won't be the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Would the 2 cubes be after sub dispplacement and port? And will the tuning be good for lows and still not sacrafice output?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12835
if you're going to rebuild the box, go 2cu ft, 4" ID or slot port, tuned to 32Hz. reinforce the enclosure to reduce flexing.

the noise you're hearing is more likely port whistle than mechanical motor noise
3" is too small of a port diameter for a 12" high output sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Ok sweet thanks. And it should be 2 cubic feet after the port and displacement are accounted for?

Also just use bracing for support? and would the height of the port matter?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12839
yes after sub and port disp.
bracing inside, and double the face panel to support that sub
its heavy

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 490
What a 2.0 ft^3 12 w7 box tuned to 32 Hz looks like.

Upload

(Dustin constructed)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
That looks exactly what I want to do. Any chance u rememeer ylthe dimensions? Otherwise I can easily calcate it just curious

The box I originally made I believe is just too big. I plan on makin g one like that this weekend.

Put the sub in it yet?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12843
that pic is pretty much what I was describing, right down to the doubled panel for the sub to support the weight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5475
Nice picture

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Here is my first box. Im gonna be making the one in the picture shawn and glasswolf talked about and do the long port with the corners rounded, this weekend or next. haha Thanks for all your help everyone and ill post pictures when i'm done and what it sounds like

One last thing, would 4" port width be good like you said? or should i go even bigger?

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1755
Have you ever considered using Aero ports?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I've thought about it but it seems to spendy. Unless, does it really make a big difference?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12849
4" was for a round port. If you're doing a slotted port, then a 3" opening is fine. The W7 moves a lot of air. If the port opening is too small, this can cause port noise when using round ports.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Ya I'll be doing a slot port. would it still be better to do a 4" over 3" with a slot port?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12852
well, the problem is the larger the opening, the longer the port will have to be internally, so the bigger the box ends up being.
4" is fine though if that's what ya like

Gold Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 1757
??? Aero ports are available in 6",
(more than one can be used as well to reach the desired portage area.)

I've been happiest with the performance of flared-round ports versus slotted in every application when sound quality took precedence over SPL.
But thats just my personal preference.

Either way, I like the your sub. The W7 is a good sql woofer, one of my favorites

Gold Member

Post Number: 5476
If your going to be using a slot port for the 12W7, if 14.25 is the height of the port (which would be the same as you had before) I would have the port 2.25" wide x 14.25" tall. This would give you around 16 sq. inches of port per cubic foot (if your doing 2 cubes @ 32). You could make it 2" and be fine as well too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks Zach ya I love the sq of the w7 its Amazing! Haha and bassman I will be making it the same height again and ill probably do 2.25 for the width. Thanks for the help! And I shouldn't get any port noise?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 492
Upload

The only thing I wish I had done different was had the port painted but it's alright.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 493
What amp are you using Mike?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
That looks sweet! I got a Kicker zx1000.1 how bout you? Hows that sound?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 495
That's a good amp, you're pushing more rms to yours than I am mine. I'm running a 500/1 to mine. I'd like to get a 1000/1 but there are a few other things I want to do before getting a new amp. That'll be the last thing I do. I'd like to get my 300/4 fixed, a second battery for the trunk, a HO alt, then a new sub amp. My sound is pretty good though on only 500 rms. My car is rather small, plus a hatchback so it does pretty well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us