Amp settings?

Username: Ghostman23

Post Number: 8
what should i set the lpf and hpf for on my amp? ive got rdaudio 850 hooked up to a mach5audio ixl. and when i set those and im setting my gain should i turn the my hu settings to flat or like the bass settings? im juss gonna set it by ear.

Post Number: 9
oh yea box is 2.35 cubs tuned to 33 hz

Post Number: 10
k here are the knobs on my amp
gain- min- max
Subsonic- 10-60hz
LPF- 35-300hz
and then the bass boost has 2 knobs
Freq- 35-120hz
Q- 0-18 db

any help would be very very appreciated

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
come on aint no one gonna help the noob out? haha been looking all day for some guides but havent been succesful. once i get all the stuff set and know wether or not to have the bass boost on(on the amp and HU) before i set the gain... i can set the gain by ear alright. come on guys help me out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
well i did some more looking around and found you set ssf at what the box is tuned at and the lpf 60-80 so i just need to know if i should set HU to flat or max bass when im setting the gain. and before i set bass boost on the amp? please some quick help i wanna get it tuned. thanks guys

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12834
starting point:

gain- min- max (1/4 turn up from min.)
Subsonic- 10-60hz (33Hz)
LPF- 35-300hz (60Hz)
and then the bass boost has 2 knobs
Freq- 35-120hz (35Hz)
Q- 0-18 db (18dB)
bass boost @ 0

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
thanks glass but you say q at 18 and bass boost @ 0. But those are the bass boost knobs. just those 2 so isnt the q at 18 the max? and when im setting gain should i have settings on HU at max or min(other than volume).

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12845
Q is your slope. the roll-off for the crossover or boost point. 18 means 18dB/octave, which is a steep slope. The boost frequency is the center point for the boost. I'm guessing the amp has a remote bass boost knob, which is what those two controls adjust. The actual cut/boost amount is done by the remote knob.

the gain should ideally be set properly using a scope and DMM, but most people don't have access to those tools, so a good starting point to set the gain is at a quarter turn up (clockwise)
The gain (input sensitivity) on the amp is a setting used to match the head unit's line voltage (2V or 4V usually, but some units are as high as 8 or 16 volts) to the input stage of the amplifier. Too high and the amp gets overdriven and it will clip. Too low and you get a weak source signal, and lower signal to noise ratio, and more THD.
Don't turn the gain up over half way. That should keep it from clipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us