Subwoofer Container Design

Username: William9000

Madisonville, Kenntucky USA

Post Number: 3
Ok I have decided to build my own sub box for two Kicker CompVR 07CVR122. I wouuld like to get SPL over SQ from my box with aesthetic appeal coming in a close second. I want to know if a fiberglass container is inferior in sound to a fiberboard/plywood box. Also it is my understanding that I want a ported enclosure over a sealed one. Is This correct?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12809
well yes if you just want it loud but musical, go with sealed. as for MDF vs glass, a lot depends on how many layers of FG you use, vs the thickness of the MDF. Generally, fiberglass will flex more, so it's not ideal for audio enclosures, but it is used because you can shape it nearly any way you want. If you want loud and not flexy, go with 3/4" MDF or HDF fiberboard.

Also if you want flat out SPL, go with a 6th order bandpass enclosure, and tune it to about 55-65Hz.
You'll gain about +15dB.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Glasswolf I'm interested in the 6th order design but my specs wont plug in to any online calculators because my qts is to high. Here are my specs
2 x
Size 12 -inch
Impedance 2 ohms
Cone Material Injection molded poly
Surround Material Santoprene rubber
Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 1 - 4.6
Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 1.75 - 2.25
Port diameter (inches) N/A
Port length (inches) N/A
Free-Air No
Dual Voice Coil Yes
Sensitivity 86.7 dB at 1 volt

Frequency Response 25 - 500 Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-400
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 800
Top Mount Depth (inches) 6 1/4
Bottom Mount Depth (inches) N/A
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 11 1/16
Vas (liters) 95.37
Fs (Hz) 26.1
Qts 0.527
Xmax (millimeters) 12.64
can you help me figure out the dimensions I need?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7957
In a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 2 CVR12's, I would just go w/ a 4.5cuft ported box tuned ~35-38hz. That will get you relatively loud and still sound pretty good for daily bass.

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 93
ya i definitely agree with canaan, while glasswolf is correct in tuning to 55-65 hz for spl, that would only be useful if your using the box for a competition. because once you start playing tones below the tuning, your going to run into problems and have blown subs very quickly. so go with 4.5 cu ft tuned 35 hz and you can bump everyday and not worry

Post Number: 5
Thanks so Much guys for the prompt response!

Post Number: 6
Bear with me as I'm a newbie and cant seem to figure out these ?*&^ calculators. How do I figure out the dimension of said box using the information you guys gave me. Is it just 4.5 cubic feet in any rectangle shape or can I make a box that wedge or another custom shape.Thanks again this forum has been most helpful.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12814
I did make one type.. sorry. I meant to say if you wanted loud and musical, go ported.
I'd just woken up and my head was fuzzy from this horrid pollen we have right now. Anyway, if you really need it loud, and you decide a ported box isn't cutting it, look at 3rd order bandpass, and tune it around 45-50Hz. It'll really sound boomy, and it won't hit deep, but it will have a crapload of impact, and it will be loud.. probably +3 to +5dB over ported.

Personally if you want this for music, I'd just go with a large ported enclosure.. give each sub 2.5 to 2.7cu ft, and use a single 4" aero-port for each sub. Use a shared airspace in the enclosure, and make sure it's well built.. sealed around the ports and terminals, and braced internally to resist flexation. Tune the ports to 34Hz for twelves.
That will give a very good, well rounded box that hits pretty loud, and very low.

be sure to enable teh subsonic filter on teh sub amp and set it @ 34Hz too. This will protect the subs from unloading.

Post Number: 7
goin insane here trying to figure out how to tune my ports!any help would be appreciated!

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12825
http://www.bcae1.com/ has calculators for port tuning. it's based on enclosure volume (after port and driver displacement), port inner diameter, and port length to derive the tuned frequency.

Post Number: 8
That has to be the most informative site on the net thanks Glasswolf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us